Change in our AmaWaterways "Romantic Danube" itinerary.. leaving tomorrow 9/26/21

Sleep7

Hello everyone!

Just a Danube update.. We are leaving today for our AMA "Romantic Danube" cruise from Vilshofen to Budapest that sails tomorrow September 26 from Vilshofen and ends in Budapest on October 3rd.

We got an email from AMA last night saying..

"Please note that, due to the unexpected temporary closure of the Gabcikovo Lock on the Danube River, the AmaVerde will be unable to sail from Bratislava, Slovakia into Budapest, Hungary. However, we have modified your itinerary to ensure you still have an opportunity to visit Budapest."

Updates to Your River Cruise Itinerary

From Day 1-6 – Itinerary is scheduled to operate as originally planned.  
Day 7 – Your Budapest shore excursion will operate, by motor coach from Bratislava.
Day 8 – All guests will be transferred to Budapest upon disembarkation. Those with included airport transfers will be taken directly to the airport; those guests with their own independent arrangements post-cruise will be taken to the Budapest city center.

We have a 6:30am flight booked on the last day of the cruise so I called AMA last night to see if they can still take us to BUD so early in the morning since Bratislava is 2 hours away from the airport.  They said yes.. that the transfer we purchased is still good.

So we will think about that or just leave the cruise a day early and book a hotel in Budapest or an airport hotel at BUD for the last night to be much closer to the airport.  We don't have much wiggle room to leave a day later as my husband is working 2 days after we get home on Sunday.

I'm sure when we board that AMA will give us some options.

I think as my mom used to say.. when you travel you have to pack a lot of patience.

We are excited about going though.. have all our paperwork and testing in order and are ready to cruise!

Sleep7, yes, one always needs to be prepared for last minute changes. I was wondering what had happened at the lock so I checked. Of the two chambers only one is available due to ongoing repairs, a major project lasting close to two years (might have been delayed due to the pandemic - not clear). If I have understood it correctly, the second chamber as per notification of the Slovakian government on 9 September is closed for repairs as well as the work is carried out in front of the chambers in the approaching navigation channel from 28 September 12noon with no end time or date given.

(Sourced through Danube commission.org)

But you are travelling and I am happy to read the good news ☺️!

I remember your review of the Rhine cruise and the nice AvalonWaterways itinerary you were able to enjoy.

I hope your cruise on the Danube will be even better.

notamermaid

• Thanks 1

Hi notamermaid!

Yes.. I remember you too!  We chatted back and forth on the threads that I posted about our experiences on the Rhine and Seine. Loved your screen name.😍

Thanks for the info about the lock.. I googled it but couldn't find anything on it.

I'm hoping that maybe they will delay the work and we will get to Budapest as planned.

If not.. I will see what suggestions AMA has for us as far as our early morning flight and very long transfer to BUD.

I'm taking a deep breath.. knowing that last minute changes are inevitable and that we just have to go with the flow.

• Like 1

Thanks Daisi!  I will be sure to post plenty of pix.🙂

Unfortunately the forecast for the upcoming week shows mostly rain but I'm hoping that there will be more than few a few sunny moments.☀️

• Like 2

This happened to us a few years ago, but ama bussed us from Bratislava to budapest and everyone stayed at the kempinski hotel for the last night.   Our flight was very early as well and AMA provided a transfer at 4:30 a.m. to the airport in budapest.   Enjoy your trip! 

Hello everyone!

Good news.. we spoke to Pau our Cruise Manager when we got on board and he knew all about our flight home situation.  Sounds like AMA will do just what hoosier2017 said;  that if we choose to stay in Budapest the night before our early flight AMA would arrange it.

I will know more details in the next few days but he assured us not to worry and that he is on top of

it.😃

We had a super easy and short (6.5 hours) flight from JFK to CDG and then a quick one hour flight to MUC and a smooth transfer to the ship.

Octoberfest celebration tonight.. lots of beer and fun!

Only 34 people on the cruise including us and everyone (fellow passengers and crew) has been delightful.

Will post an update about our flight situation when we find out.

• Like 2

Thanks Lorefull!  We are flying home tomorrow from Budapest..  had an AWESOME week!!

When the jetlag wears off and the laundry is done I will post a full trip report.

Took tons of great pix to accompany it too!😃

• Like 2

Hope you had a wonderful trip and everything went smoothly.  If you don’t mind commenting when you are rested concerning whether or not you had testing for the return flight home on the ship, and the amount AMA charged for that.  Also are there still buffets or menus only.  Thanks and welcome home. 

Good morning hoosier2017!

We did have  wonderful trip and I'm going to start my blog soon as it's 2am and I can't go back to

sleep.😴

Yes.. AMA did arrange for passengers needing a COVID test to have it done right on board 2 days before the cruise ended.  You signed up for it a few days before and had a choice.  A PCR test (guess it was a rapid one) as the results took just a few hours was $59 pp and a rapid Antigen test that took 10 minutes was $18.  We chose the rapid Antigen test as to enter the USA you need a test done (either kind was accepted) within the last 3 days so since our flight was Sunday morning the test that was given at 1pm on Friday was well within the 3 day window.  There were 8 passengers being tested and thankfully everyone was negative.  The rest of the passengers didn't need one because many were staying for a second week to cruise the lower Danube or were staying in Budapest for a day or two and the onboard test would be out of the 3 day USA required window.

As far as dining.. no buffets at all.  All 3 meals were served in the dining room.  Also you chose where you sat the first evening and that was your assigned table for the rest of the week due to COVID.  That was fine for us.. plenty of other times during the day to socialize with other passengers.

• Host Jazzbeau changed the title to Change in our AmaWaterways "Romantic Danube" itinerary.. leaving tomorrow 9/26/21