Denied boarding, when 2 weeks is not ≥ 14 days

quattrohead

1 hour ago, ontheweb said:

The written policy and the CDC recommendations say 2 weeks. 2 weeks is 14 days. The OP quoted the Carnival policy that said greater than or EQUAL TO 2 weeks.

How was the policy not followed? So I would take it up with the credit card company.

And as  a further note, unlike the cheerleaders, I am finding more and more to dislike with what Carnival is doing. For instance, putting out a press release that they are working on testing at the pier, and then oops we are not going to do that. (The cheerleaders say, oh it is too hard to do. But NCL is doing it while "the world's leading cruise line" finds it too hard.)

I know it will not matter except for me feeling good, but the next time I get a chance to use my proxy vote, I will vote against reelecting all the board members.

Might be time to sell.

3 minutes ago, canes20 said:

Might be time to sell.

It's been reported that bookings are down the last 60 days. People dont like the ever changing testing and rules. Carnival isnt offering $100 panama canal cruises and $25 pp cruises because it's easy to fill ships.

20210924_190609861.jpeg

20210924_191126983.jpeg

6 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

It's been reported that bookings are down the last 60 days. People dont like the ever changing testing and rules. Carnival isnt offering $100 panama canal cruises and $25 pp cruises because it's easy to fill ships.

20210924_190609861.jpeg

20210924_191126983.jpeg

Thar was sell not sail. May be time for ontheweb to sell some stock.

58 minutes ago, Essiesmom said:

Rather, vaccine day does not count.  EM

Vax day would also not count but sailing day needed to be Day 15 

Guests must be “fully vaccinated”. Bring your original vaccination record which shows your legal name and birth date (must match your proof of citizenship) and confirms the required vaccine doses were received no later than 14 days prior to the sailing date

2 hours ago, quattrohead said:

The vax were already scheduled, then we booked the cruise and a couple days later saw that it would be exactly 2 weeks Thursday 2nd vax to Thursday day of sailing.

a person is considered fully vaccinated greater than or equal to 2 weeks ≥ 14 days

and you had your antigen tests 2 days before boarding as well right?  Sorry just didnt see any confirmation of that in your original post.

• Like 1

I've read this entire thread and (maybe I missed it) I'm a little confused about when the second vaccine dose was administered.  

I see that the OP was supposed to get on Magic 9/23 (coincidentally that was the day we got off of Magic), but I didn't notice the date of the second vaccination.  That would help me figure out which side of the fence to land on.... whether Carnival screwed the pooch or the OP made a costly miscalculation.

In any case I think it would be the decent thing for Carnival to at the very least issue credit for a future booking.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, groundloop said:

I've read this entire thread and (maybe I missed it) I'm a little confused about when the second vaccine dose was administered.  

I see that the OP was supposed to get on Magic 9/23 (coincidentally that was the day we got off of Magic), but I didn't notice the date of the second vaccination.  That would help me figure out which side of the fence to land on.... whether Carnival screwed the pooch or the OP made a costly miscalculation.

In any case I think it would be the decent thing for Carnival to at the very least issue credit for a future booking.

Sept 9th was 2nd vax

2 minutes ago, Elaine5715 said:

Sept 9th was 2nd vax

OK, then this is the way my feeble little brain sees it:

Sept 9 - day 0

Sept 10 - day 1

Sept 11 - day 2

Sept 22 - day 13

Sept 23 - day 14

OR, looking at it another way  " the required vaccine doses were received no later than 14 days prior to the sailing date"....

Sept 23 - day 0

Sept 22 - day 1

Sept 21 - day 2

Sept 10 - day 13

Sept 9 - day 14

It's the 'NO LATER THAN" that would make me think that Sept. 9th would be the last day to receive the second dose.  In my most humble opinion Carnival screwed up.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, quattrohead said:

Thankyou for actually taking the time to get the gist of my post. I should have put money on who and what was going to be posted....hitting F5 all day lol.

$50 bucks is not what hurts, 18 GD months we have been doing as asked by the situation and it is time to get back out and live again.

was your cruise only $50 - or $25 each?  Wow!  
I feel for you, I can see both sides on the 2 week, 14 day issue.  

First, I never would have signed ANYTHING.  You/She basically said you were guilty of a  violation, thus not owed anything.

Second, I would not do a credit card charge back as someone suggested, for only $25 each.  Especially if you continue to sail Carnival brands.

I’d send a nicely worded letter, and see if they won’t relent and give you a cruise credit.  

I’m sure you were both disappointed.  Hope your next cruise goes as planned 

Edited by BSocial

That is a very unfortunate situation.

When I read the rules I would have thought you can cruise on day 15 after receiving your second dose.

That would be 14 days after your second shot.

Vaccines have been availiable since January/February in the states right? Not sure why you waited so long to get vaccinated if you knew you wanted to cruise.

And in regards to the CDC rules and cruise rules - most cruise lines are interpreting CDC rules differently. It becomes confusing and frustrating. Cruiselines are also doing different things regarding testing prior to cruising.

Carnival has always been the discount cruiseline. You get what you pay for.

• Like 2

For tests, they say you need to take your test two days before sailing - test on the 21st, sail on the 23rd.  If they are using a different interpretation when they say you need your shot 14 days before vaccination, they have an obligation to make that clear.  They can't use two different interpretations and expect everyone to know which one they 'meant' in each situation.  They should ABSOLUTELY be providing an example pair of dates to make it crystal clear.

I have to admit, if it had been me, I'd have been willing to wait on hold to get an answer - but there is every possibility that the representative on the phone would have been unaware that they are using two different definitions of 'days before' when discussing tests vs vaccination.  I'm glad you aren't out very much money, but I'm sorry your hopes were dashed at the last minute!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, ontheweb said:

Take this up with your credit card company (assuming it was put on a charge card).

And please do not let the Carnival cheerleaders get you down. They are the only ones who would even think to defend poor customer service that tells you only to call, but the calls are unanswered.

OP should probably consult the credit card company, but I wouldn't be too optimistic about a successful chargeback because of the forms he said his wife signed.

Another angle is to see what's covered by any travel insurance OP has.  I'm not confident there, either, though.

At any rate it seems unreasonable to me for Carnival to not offer a Future Cruise Credit for this misunderstanding.  I can understand not offering a refund, but an FCC would make sense.

2 hours ago, Virga said:

For tests, they say you need to take your test two days before sailing - test on the 21st, sail on the 23rd.  If they are using a different interpretation when they say you need your shot 14 days before vaccination, they have an obligation to make that clear.  They can't use two different interpretations and expect everyone to know which one they 'meant' in each situation.  They should ABSOLUTELY be providing an example pair of dates to make it crystal clear.

I have to admit, if it had been me, I'd have been willing to wait on hold to get an answer - but there is every possibility that the representative on the phone would have been unaware that they are using two different definitions of 'days before' when discussing tests vs vaccination.  I'm glad you aren't out very much money, but I'm sorry your hopes were dashed at the last minute!

Don't worry, the Carnival cheerleaders will be explain why 2 days before is interpreted as 2, while 14 days before is interpreted as 15. They can explain away everything.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, GTO-Girl said:

I know it’s too late now, but I would have rescheduled my second vaccine dose for a day or two earlier…..

Just to have been absolutely certain I was within the timeframe…

You have to wait at least the times that the vaccines have set, 3 weeks for Pfizer and 4 weeks for Moderna. Plus at the time of the vaccinations, they had not booked yet. 

8 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

You have to wait at least the times that the vaccines have set, 3 weeks for Pfizer and 4 weeks for Moderna. Plus at the time of the vaccinations, they had not booked yet. 

Not necessarily…..my husband and I both got ours two days early because of the struggle of getting appts.  It was not questioned …..

In fact we have both got our third shot of Moderna last week.  Our doctor told us to go ahead and get it and that’s what we did…

• The name and birth date on the vaccination record must match the guest’s travel documents and show the guest is fully vaccinated. The vaccination dates must indicate the guest has completed the required doses no later than 14 days prior to the sailing date. This means that on embarkation day, a minimum of 15 days must have passed since the final dose was received. Vaccine type, dates administered, and lot numbers must be clearly visible.

while this is very disappointing, this paragraph is taken directly from Carnival’s page on vaccinations. It is very clear it is 15 days. So sorry you missed your vacation. Hopefully you will get another great offer and be able to go. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, GTO-Girl said:

Not necessarily…..my husband and I both got ours two days early because of the struggle of getting appts.  It was not questioned …..

In fact we have both got our third shot of Moderna last week.  Our doctor told us to go ahead and get it and that’s what we did…

Yes, but he booked three days after his other half took the second shot.  You might could argue they shouldn't have booked it, but you can't argue they should have found the nearest time machine and changed their appointment date.

Edited by Virga

4 minutes ago, Virga said:

Yes, but he booked three days after his other half took the second shot.  You might could argue they shouldn't have booked it, but you can't argue they should have found the nearest time machine and changed their appointment date.

Gotcha!!!  

Cruise was booked after the second shot….sorry I misread!

3 hours ago, groundloop said:

OK, then this is the way my feeble little brain sees it:

Sept 9 - day 0

Sept 10 - day 1

Sept 11 - day 2

Sept 22 - day 13

Sept 23 - day 14

OR, looking at it another way  " the required vaccine doses were received no later than 14 days prior to the sailing date"....

Sept 23 - day 0

Sept 22 - day 1

Sept 21 - day 2

Sept 10 - day 13

Sept 9 - day 14

It's the 'NO LATER THAN" that would make me think that Sept. 9th would be the last day to receive the second dose.  In my most humble opinion Carnival screwed up.

Sept 23 needed to be day 15 at the minimum,  They needed to be fully vaxxed by Sept 22 since sailing date did not count

I can identify as I was supposed to be boarding today but failed the 72 hour questionnaire just 2 days ago due to covid exposure.

Any way you crunch the numbers, whether the OP was right or wrong,  it sucks the big wazoo to have your vacation and all that is involved with that stripped from you. We all know there is more involved than just unpacking and putting your clothes back in the closet. 

1 hour ago, spotte said:

The vaccination dates must indicate the guest has completed the required doses no later than 14 days prior to the sailing date. This means that on embarkation day, a minimum of 15 days must have passed since the final dose was received.

I hadn't noticed the 15 days part before.  And these two statements, when taken together, are quite confusing.  To me anyway they seem contradictory.  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, groundloop said:

I hadn't noticed the 15 days part before.  And these two statements, when taken together, are quite confusing.  To me anyway they seem contradictory.  

Not confusing at all. On days 1-14 after you received your second vaccine you are not considered fully vaccinated.

You are fully vaccinated 14 days AFTER your second dose. So Day 15 is the first day you are considered fully vaccinated.

• Like 3

21 hours ago, BlerkOne said:

Called but didn't wait for an answer from Carnival. Carnival's cruise line, Carnival's rules. It is certainly their prerogative to exceed any CDC guidelines if they so choose. NCL is sailing with 100% vaccination status

Exactly and as a Corporation, I am almost certain the Carnival also retains a pretty savvy law service on their payroll. All I's have been dotted and T's have been crossed!