First timer on Royal Caribbean/Navigator of the Seas out of L.A. What to expect?

Travlin grrl

I've taken 9 cruises on Princess and Holland, but this is my first time on Royal Caribbean which is coming over to the West Coast. I always see the fun pictures of the whole ship, so was excited they are on this side of the U.S. Going out of L.A. for a quick 3 day (which I have never taken a short cruise before!) to try out this "new to me" cruise line. I'm actually really excited about the slides. haha. But what else is something I need to know that is different from the other cruises I have taken? I've checked out the restaurants, and would really like to try the Seafood one. Any advice? Thanks in advance. 

7 hours ago, Travlin grrl said:

I've taken 9 cruises on Princess and Holland, but this is my first time on Royal Caribbean which is coming over to the West Coast. I always see the fun pictures of the whole ship, so was excited they are on this side of the U.S. Going out of L.A. for a quick 3 day (which I have never taken a short cruise before!) to try out this "new to me" cruise line. I'm actually really excited about the slides. haha. But what else is something I need to know that is different from the other cruises I have taken? I've checked out the restaurants, and would really like to try the Seafood one. Any advice? Thanks in advance. 

Royal Caribbean is different than Holland America and Princess in that it caters to a more active and multi-generational demographic.  Holland and Princess usually has a more older / mature crowd.  

As far as entertainment and activities, this is where Royal excels. There is a ice rink on the Navigator so you will be able to skate out at sea. There is also a ice show. There is a rockwall, slides, flowrider surfing machine. 

Food is better on Princess and Holland in my opinion.

• Like 2

Navigator has been amped and we're very much looking forward to sailing on her in January.

Of course it doesn't hurt that it will be our first post covid cruise and she's sailing from our home port.

I'm sure you'll enjoy RCI OP.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Ashland said:

Navigator has been amped and we're very much looking forward to sailing on her in January.

Of course it doesn't hurt that it will be our first post covid cruise and she's sailing from our home port.

Congrats on finally getting a west coast RC ship.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Big_G said:

Congrats on finally getting a west coast RC ship.

it's not "finally".  It's "after a pause".  The west coast had ships for years and years and years.  There has only been a gap/pause of a decade.  😉  😄 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, Ashland said:

Same! We are so excited to finally have Royal back in So Cal! 

We’ve only sailed Royal and Princess. I’ve been happy with both overall. Like others have said, Royal typically has more activities going on. And certainly more physical activities- rock walk, water slides, ice skating and more. Even with a more festive atmosphere, I’ve never found it to be too much of a “party” cruise. 

However, this will be my first time doing a 3 night cruise. I’ve always heard them referred to as “booze cruises”. Since we are leaving the kids at home - that nickname may prove to be (somewhat) accurate for us! 

One thing I really love about Royal vs Princess is the Royal Promenade. To me, this always feels like the heart of the ship, and it is something I do miss on Princess. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, tx121 said:

Royal Caribbean is different than Holland America and Princess in that it caters to a more active and multi-generational demographic.  Holland and Princess usually has a more older / mature crowd.  

As far as entertainment and activities, this is where Royal excels. There is a ice rink on the Navigator so you will be able to skate out at sea. There is also a ice show. There is a rockwall, slides, flowrider surfing machine. 

Food is better on Princess and Holland in my opinion.

I am pretty active, but have a kind of bad knee. I know I'll try out all the slides because I'm a thrill seeker. I am excited to see the ice shows! I probably won't do the flowrider, but husband was a surfer back in the day...so I will try to get him to do that. Super excited to go on and experience it all for the first time. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Merion_Mom said:

it's not "finally".  It's "after a pause".  The west coast had ships for years and years and years.  There has only been a gap/pause of a decade.  😉  😄 

It's been waaaay to long :classic_laugh:

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

We just signed up for a 3 day in January, MLK weekend.. We have 4 birthdays that month so here we go! We've been on HAL, Princess, Celebrity.. RC once on a reposition from Hawaii. I have to admit it was the most fun we've had on a ship. We will be going multi generational so hoping a good fit! Great price too! We too are looking forward to the waterslides