Specialty Dining Gratuities

W283386

1 hour ago, hcat said:

We now add extra tips by handing $  to maitre d of BLU  or  the Specialty venues to split among  their staff.

(We assume it would include kitchen staff.)

On the EDGE  4 Mdr plan for the restaurants we ate at most often including Tuscan E breakfast, , we tipped maitre d.'s and our fav server teams.. was much appreciated.

Once you hand over cash.. it is no longer in your control   but better than

giving it over to X!  Praise on comment cards is also appreciated.

A big part of the Pool algorithm is based on the end of cruise reviews. So don't forget to give your favorite dining rooms as well as various servers 10s if they are deserving!

35 minutes ago, RichYak said:

The more I read, the more I feel like this is the way on X. The staff in specialty restaurants is tipped not out of the service charge, but out of the general pool, which includes gratuities from many who may never eat there.

That goes both ways, so that's where the algorithm comes into play. Some of the factors from what I heard include (1) how many people were served during the cruise at a particular restaurant, (2) whether it's a revenue producing specialty restaurant or not, (3) ratings from the all important end of cruise surveys for both restaurant as well as servers, and I'm sure there are other factors that go into determining who gets what.

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, rucrazy said:

Does anyone else remember when they rolled out "specialty dining" the service charge was to tip the staff?.. not to generate income for the corporation.. just saying while we are in the camp of tipping for service I find it interesting the need to do so...

Stay Safe.

Yup, always been that way I suspect it still is, believe there is a bit of misinterpretation of some of Celebrity’s writings.

Specialty restaurant servers have never been part of the regular tipping scheme from day one.  The reason I know that is because Celebrity used to be very specific on their web site as to who got the tips.

Also, those working the buffet are the people who serve you in your regular restaurants.

Edited by dkjretired
  • Thanks 1

Just now, canderson said:

Yes, but do you like yourself the next morning?!? 🤪

LOL, of course I do Love My Self the next morning, with the exception of the hazy fog when going to the buffet for breakfast, which then turns into just going to The Spa Cafe for a meaningful break the headache and/or break the gastro issues associated with the night before!!! LOL

Cheers and bon voyage

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

When we ate in Specialty restaurants it was stated when purchased that Gratuity was included.  A few years back, we were told this had changed by the waiter in the Lawn Grille.  Tried to get a definitive answer regarding that and could not get anyone to agree yes or no.  

This is what I find on the check out page for the specialty restaurants so it answers the question of tips included or not in cover charge.

Specialty Restaurants
All cover charges are per person. Restaurant reservations are subject to availability, and reservations are non-transferable. Additional items such as beverages, menu supplements, food and wine pairings and gratuities are not included.

Gail

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, wrk2cruise said:

That statement has always been there and I believe it's intended to state that gratuities on these additional items are not include.   Celebrity messaging is always poor.

Yup, their talking about extra gratuities and things not included with meal like drinks without drink package. No change from what it’s always been.

As was posted earlier from the Cruise Planner:

"all cover charges are per person.  Additional items such as beverages, menu supplements, food and wine pairings and gratuities are not included."

I read this to say that gratuities are not included for beverages, menu supplements, food and wine pairings.  The Cover Charges in this case includes a gratuity. 

I am American and need help from my fellow cruisers from abroad on this one.  When I have gone into a restaurant in some countries in Europe, a cover charge is sometimes included in the bill.  It was my understanding that the cover charge took the place of a tip/gratuity.  If I wanted to add more I can, but it was not necessarily expected.

1 hour ago, RICCruisers said:

As was posted earlier from the Cruise Planner:

"all cover charges are per person.  Additional items such as beverages, menu supplements, food and wine pairings and gratuities are not included."

I read this to say that gratuities are not included for beverages, menu supplements, food and wine pairings.  The Cover Charges in this case includes a gratuity. 

I am American and need help from my fellow cruisers from abroad on this one.  When I have gone into a restaurant in some countries in Europe, a cover charge is sometimes included in the bill.  It was my understanding that the cover charge took the place of a tip/gratuity.  If I wanted to add more I can, but it was not necessarily expected.

That is your interpretation, that is not how it’s always been. Go back and see how many people on this board have said they returned their bills without a tip. Common sense dictates that the servers and Celebrity will not allow the servers to receive no tip.

Edited by dkjretired
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, RichYak said:

On day one (when X introduced its first specialty restaurant) I was young and handsome. Things can change.

I Am sure you are still young and handsome.... and you have the photos to prove it.

bon appetit and bon voyage

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, dkjretired said:

That is your interpretation, that is not how it’s always been. Go back and see how many people on this board have said they returned their bills without a tip. Common sense dictates that the servers and Celebrity will not allow the servers to receive no tip.

Not sure exactly what you are saying.  Are you saying the Cover Charge does or does not include the tip/gratuity?  This topic pops up every couple of months and the comments are always mostly the same as this thread and divided. Some say yes and some say no to the question of the tip being part of the Cover Charge. Celebrity could clear this up with a simple answer that the Cover Charge Does or Does Not include a gratuity.  They are very clear on items where a tip/gratuity is automatically added, but on this one they leave up to the customer to decipher their intent.

I agree that Celebrity would not leave their servers with no tip which is another reason I personally feel the Cover Charge does include a tip. It would be beneficial if the amount was made clear as to how much of a tip is included.  Without that information I have to assume that the server is receiving a minimum of 20% since that is the standard charge for drinks.  

Ate in Tuscan last week and left $10 tip. However noted there was a 20% service charge included. In retrospect felt I should not have. The meal and service was def. not $100 more than the dinner I could have had in Luminae. However I was using up OBC and had allocated tips to butler/room attendant/Luminae staff from OBC.

10 hours ago, RICCruisers said:

If a cover charge is added there is no need, and should be discouraged, from adding more.  European staff will usually be on a wage with holiday, sickness etc. The French tend not to tip because of this.

A tip of 10-15% is usual in the UK for good service. Restaurants/waiter Ed pubs, hairdressers, taxis.. Rarely/never barmen, Starbucks, McDonalds etc.

I used to live in New Zealand where tipping is much rarer. Kiwis were not happy about tipping US tourists who ‘spoilt’ the servers.  The price was the price. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, RICCruisers said:

Not sure exactly what you are saying.  Are you saying the Cover Charge does or does not include the tip/gratuity?  This topic pops up every couple of months and the comments are always mostly the same as this thread and divided. Some say yes and some say no to the question of the tip being part of the Cover Charge. Celebrity could clear this up with a simple answer that the Cover Charge Does or Does Not include a gratuity.  They are very clear on items where a tip/gratuity is automatically added, but on this one they leave up to the customer to decipher their intent.

I agree that Celebrity would not leave their servers with no tip which is another reason I personally feel the Cover Charge does include a tip. It would be beneficial if the amount was made clear as to how much of a tip is included.  Without that information I have to assume that the server is receiving a minimum of 20% since that is the standard charge for drinks.  

I must be missing something. Celebrity makes great play of the “Always Included” deal. “Drinks. WiFi. Tips. Always included”.

We prepaid Murano for one evening on our cruise in August and never considered tips - they’re always included. 

Having said that, our service from the waiter and wine waiter in Blu was so consistently good that I slipped them a few pounds in cash on the last evening. 😂

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Wichenford Wolf said:

I must be missing something. Celebrity makes great play of the “Always Included” deal. “Drinks. WiFi. Tips. Always included”.

We prepaid Murano for one evening on our cruise in August and never considered tips - they’re always included. 

Having said that, our service from the waiter and wine waiter in Blu was so consistently good that I slipped them a few pounds in cash on the last evening. 😂

Tips for Specialty restaurants have never been part of the tipping structure since they first started so not included in always included. Tips for Blu are included with regular tips as it is your regular dining room. The Tips for specialties come out of the cover fee for each restaurant.

Edited by dkjretired
  • Like 1

Interesting reading this now as we hope to cruise in November.

My hubby’s practice has always been given the old handshake and thanking our waiter’s, sommelier etc…and slipping the cash….so that they could simply pocket it and not feel obligated to share.

Guess with covid….lol…..we will have to go to plan B.

let you know when we come up with it …lol

😉 

Also….we have a dining package for this trip….and do recall in the past there are times we have not been presented a slip.

so we will see how it goes this time.
cheers !

1 hour ago, brockmom said:

Interesting reading this now as we hope to cruise in November.

My hubby’s practice has always been given the old handshake and thanking our waiter’s, sommelier etc…and slipping the cash….so that they could simply pocket it and not feel obligated to share.

Guess with covid….lol…..we will have to go to plan B.

let you know when we come up with it …lol

😉

Not sure why COVID stops Plan A - it’s exactly what we did!

Have a great cruise, you’ll know what to do when the time comes.

• Thanks 1