Dress Code and Theme Schedules for 2021-22

bluemarble

So, I haven't seen this one before. Anyone know what an "Olivers Gala Evening" is and what the dress requirements would be?

Our itinerary on QM2:

May 15th: Smart Attire

May 16th: Olivers Gala Evening

May 17th: Smart Attire

May 18th: Smart Attire

May 19th: Smart Attire

May 20th: Gala Evening - Roaring Twenties

May 21st: Smart Attire

May 22nd: Smart Attire

10 minutes ago, Solent23 said:

So, I haven't seen this one before. Anyone know what an "Olivers Gala Evening" is and what the dress requirements would be?

Our itinerary on QM2:

May 15th: Smart Attire

May 16th: Olivers Gala Evening

May 17th: Smart Attire

May 18th: Smart Attire

May 19th: Smart Attire

May 20th: Gala Evening - Roaring Twenties

May 21st: Smart Attire

May 22nd: Smart Attire

That's a new one on me and as it turns out it's a new one for Cunard. I think that's actually "Oliviers Gala Evening" since your crossing is the special event cruise "London Theatre at Sea 2022 with the Olivier Awards".

Here's what I found from a recent (March 16, 2022) press release.

"For the first time, Cunard will be introducing an "Oliviers Gala Evening," which will feature entertainment from headliners throughout the evening, as well as a never-seen-before show, "Olivier Awards in Concert" that has been created for this voyage by Society of London Theatre's Julian Bird. The concert will take place in the Royal Court Theatre and pay homage to the Olivier Awards' last 45 years in a dazzling one-off production with cast and orchestra."

Now this doesn't mention a specific dress requirement, but I imagine black tie (which is appropriate for any gala evening) would be a reasonable suggestion for such an event. I also suspect some guests may not see this and will be planning for the originally scheduled "Red and Gold" theme which ought to be fine in any case.

10 minutes ago, bluemarble said:

That's a new one on me and as it turns out it's a new one for Cunard. I think that's actually "Oliviers Gala Evening" since your crossing is the special event cruise "London Theatre at Sea 2022 with the Olivier Awards".

Here's what I found from a recent (March 16, 2022) press release.

"For the first time, Cunard will be introducing an "Oliviers Gala Evening," which will feature entertainment from headliners throughout the evening, as well as a never-seen-before show, "Olivier Awards in Concert" that has been created for this voyage by Society of London Theatre's Julian Bird. The concert will take place in the Royal Court Theatre and pay homage to the Olivier Awards' last 45 years in a dazzling one-off production with cast and orchestra."

Now this doesn't mention a specific dress requirement, but I imagine black tie (which is appropriate for any gala evening) would be a reasonable suggestion for such an event. I also suspect some guests may not see this and will be planning for the originally scheduled "Red and Gold" theme which ought to be fine in any case.

Thanks for this! For some reason they have a typo in the calendar (literally "Olivers"). Standard black tie makes sense.

18 minutes ago, Solent23 said:

Thanks for this! For some reason they have a typo in the calendar (literally "Olivers"). Standard black tie makes sense.

Reminds me of the typo Cunard had for October 31st on one of our QM2 crossings a few years ago. The dress code/theme schedule listed "Holloween Ball" for a while for that evening.

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

The "Queen Mary 2 2021-22 Dress Code and Theme Schedule" document is now complete! Thanks to everyone who contributed the schedules for their voyages to make this possible.

The schedule for Queen Elizabeth is about 86% complete and the schedule for Queen Victoria is about 80% complete at this point.

Here are updated stats that might be of some interest.

QM2: 1.87 Gala Evenings per week

QE: 1.68 Gala Evenings per week

QV: 1.74 Gala Evenings per week

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 4/6/2022 at 11:10 PM, bluemarble said:

The "Queen Mary 2 2021-22 Dress Code and Theme Schedule" document is now complete! Thanks to everyone who contributed the schedules for their voyages to make this possible.

The schedule for Queen Elizabeth is about 86% complete and the schedule for Queen Victoria is about 80% complete at this point.

Here are updated stats that might be of some interest.

QM2: 1.87 Gala Evenings per week

QE: 1.68 Gala Evenings per week

QV: 1.74 Gala Evenings per week

Thank you so much for taking the time to make these files. It really is a big help 

Edited by cook68

• 2 weeks later...

A little update

Gala nights for Q301  MEL - MEL Depart  22 Dec Christmas Cruise

23 Dec Gala Night Black & White Ball

25 Dec  Gala Night Christmas Day

31 Dec Gala Night New Years Eve

3 Jan Gala Night Roaring 20's

All other nights Smart casual

• Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, Poole Boy said:

A little update

Gala nights for Q301  MEL - MEL Depart  22 Dec Christmas Cruise

23 Dec Gala Night Black & White Ball

25 Dec  Gala Night Christmas Day

31 Dec Gala Night New Years Eve

3 Jan Gala Night Roaring 20's

All other nights Smart casual

Thank you very much for that update, @Poole Boy. Just one follow-up question for you to make sure I get it right. Are "Christmas Day" and "New Year's Eve" actually listed as the themes for 25 Dec and 31 Dec in your My Cunard calendar? Cunard used to schedule "Christmas" and "New Year's Eve" themes, but last Christmas on QE and this Christmas on QM2 they scheduled "Red and Gold" for the theme. And for QE last year and QM2 this year the 31 Dec gala evening had/has no theme. Just wanted to verify QE is going back to more traditional theme names for the 25 Dec and 31 Dec gala evenings this year.

5 hours ago, bluemarble said:

Thank you very much for that update, @Poole Boy. Just one follow-up question for you to make sure I get it right. Are "Christmas Day" and "New Year's Eve" actually listed as the themes for 25 Dec and 31 Dec in your My Cunard calendar? Cunard used to schedule "Christmas" and "New Year's Eve" themes, but last Christmas on QE and this Christmas on QM2 they scheduled "Red and Gold" for the theme. And for QE last year and QM2 this year the 31 Dec gala evening had/has no theme. Just wanted to verify QE is going back to more traditional theme names for the 25 Dec and 31 Dec gala evenings this year.

The Cruise calendar just list them as Gala no specific theme noted

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

We are oh so close now to finishing QE's 2022 dress code and theme schedule! After @Poole Boy's contribution today, there's only one day left unaccounted for. That's the sea day between Sydney and Melbourne, 14 December 2022 on voyages Q234 and Q234A

In the past they've sometimes scheduled a gala evening for the two-night short break voyages between Sydney and Melbourne so I don't want to make any assumptions.

Can anyone help me with the dress code for 14 December 2022 on QE?

• 3 weeks later...
52 minutes ago, marco said:

Thanks for the update.  Question....on a QM T/A, what exactly would "smart attire" be?  Same as "Business casual"?  Would a sport coat/jacket be required?

Jackets are no longer required for gentlemen on the smart attire evenings.

Here's an excerpt from the "What to pack" page on the Cunard website.

"Smart attire simply means a dress shirt and trousers, skirt and a top, or a cocktail dress."

Once on board, here's how the daily programmes define the smart attire dress code.

"Smart trousers with a collared shirt or gentlemen; jacket and tie is optional. Ladies, blouses and skirts or stylish trousers and dresses are welcome."

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, mushkicrawford said:

I see on their site that the gala themes are 1)black and white

2)roaring twenties 

Just to make sure I'm clear, is this what you are seeing as the themes for voyage Q229, the October 3-10, 2022 cruise from Barcelona that @2Oldpeopleinlove was asking about? If so, I will update my master document for QE accordingly.

24 minutes ago, bluemarble said:

Thank you and @mushkicrawford. I will update my document at the posted link to reflect this update from Cunard assigning themes for your cruise.

Bluemarble......BTW.....Is there any word about Insight Speakers for the September 23rd QM2 sailing. The past lists were so helpful when they were posted.

1 hour ago, BklynBoy8 said:

Bluemarble......BTW.....Is there any word about Insight Speakers for the September 23rd QM2 sailing. The past lists were so helpful when they were posted.

Sorry, no I haven't found anything about Insights Speakers beyond the meager (and often out-of-date) information found on the "Guest speakers" page on the Cunard website as well as the "Event cruises" page and a few Cunard press releases that mention featured speakers. A very few voyages have "Guest speakers" tabs on their voyage details pages but those are the same very few voyages that have their speakers mentioned on the main "Guest speakers" page. There are no master lists of Insights Speakers from Cunard any more that I am able to locate.