Dress Code and Theme Schedules for 2021-22

bluemarble

3 hours ago, techteach said:

@Jack E Dawson DH is having a custom tuxedo made next month, so decisions need to be made. Do men wear cummerbunds? Waist coats? Pin tuck shirts - soft front? 

Either a vest or a cummerbund is acceptable in modern wear (some traditionalists would insist on a cummerbund but the vest has a legitimate black tie history at least back to the 30s; further for white tie).

(May as well say it up front - in modern formal wear, almost anything goes ...)

With the vest, normally wear a standard-collar shirt with a long black silk necktie. A bowtie is fine, too; I've seen many wear a vest with a wing-collar shirt and bowtie, as well. (Never a cummerbund with a long necktie, though.)

Either a pleated (= pintuck?) shirt or a pique (also called "marcella") is acceptable with either option. Severe traditionalists may call for the pique, but the pleated shirt is more common. A plain front is not usually worn. In either case, ensure the pleated/pique section is long enough to reach the vest or cummerbund comfortably. Normally they are cut for this purpose, but you never know. And all men are shaped differently in that area ...

It gets VERY complicated :)

https://www.gentlemansgazette.com/tuxedo-black-tie-guide

6 hours ago, techteach said:

@TouchstoneFeste Thanks for your post. I really do know what to match and not to match. I guess I didn’t ask my question clearly enough. Does anyone on QM2, TA, wear a waist coat? The pictures I’m seeing haven’t indicated that.

Sorry, didn't mean to get all "teachy" on you, @techteachObviously, you hit my "finally I can help someone" button. :) and I didn't read carefully.

I just looked through some QM2 formal night pictures, and I guess you're right ... it appears that cummerbunds (or nothing at all at the waist!) are the norm.

My personal take would be to get the waistcoat made now so you can be certain the fabrics match; cummerbunds are relatively easy (and cheap-ish) to come by later. I find the waistcoat option more flattering in any case - it's what I wear on formal occasions.

You'd also asked about shirt fronts. I'd guess that pleated shirts are the norm, but I prefer pique/marcella, so he wouldn't be totally alone if he did as well :)

I'm sure the regulars will have better answers ...

• Like 1

Time to repeat the links to the Dress Code and Theme Schedule documents for easy access since we've started a new browser page.

QM2: QM2 2021-22 Dress Code and Theme Schedule

QE: QE 2021-22 Dress Code and Theme Schedule

QV: QV 2022 Dress Code and Theme Schedule

If anyone is seeing dress code and theme schedules in your My Cunard calendars for next year, I'll be glad to start a new set of documents for 2023. I received what I've been told is the schedule for QV's 2023 World Voyage several months ago. I haven't received any contributions yet for 2023 schedules for either QE or QM2.

• Like 4

Well we are part of World Cruise 2023 QM but still no dress code to date.  But, your help would be most appreciated I seem to have missed some dress code changes, last time we were aboard QV 2020 gentlemen on smart attire evenings still had to wear jacket (but tie optional) am I right in thinking that jacket not required on these evenings now - also where did red/gold evenings come from - never heard that one. Thanks

From the What to pack section of the website

Smart attire simply means a dress shirt and trousers, skirt and a top, or a cocktail dress. Essentially, choose something along the same vein as you’d wear to a stylish restaurant or the theatre on a special occasion.

Red and Gold are the Cunard colours 

5 hours ago, Jailhousepete said:

Thank you Hattie, so just humour one ‘stupid woman’, gentlemen do not need to wear a jacket for the evening meal in Britannia.  Dress Shirt to me is a shirt you would wear with your dress (evening) suit, confused !!!!!!

The Smart Attire dress code as listed in the daily programmes once on board the ships replaces "dress shirt" with "collared shirt". Here are the dress code descriptions from the daily programmes.

Gala Evening.
Dinner jacket, tuxedo, or dark suit with regular tie or bow tie for gentlemen. Evening or cocktail dress, smart trouser suit, or formal separates for ladies.

Smart Attire.
Gentlemen, every night we request you wear trousers with a collared shirt; jacket and tie are optional. Ladies, blouses and skirts or stylish trousers and dresses are welcome.

==========

On the subject of the "Red and Gold" theme, you may recall the "Royal Cunard Ball" from previous voyages. I think the Red and Gold theme is simply a name change for the Royal Cunard Ball to make it obvious what the colors are for that theme.

Edited by bluemarble

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, hypercafe said:

I understand the dress code but am wondering about the dress up. We have three gala nights. Black and white, Roaring Twenties and Masquerade. How does that fit in with the black-tie dress for men? Thanks

For men, it usually comes down to accessorizing the regular gala evening tux/dark suit. There isn't much of anything that needs to be done for the Black and White theme.

For the Masquerade theme, it's usually just a matter of adding a masquerade mask to the regular gala evening attire if you'd like to participate in that theme.

For the Roaring Twenties theme, I've seen men who choose to fully embrace that theme wearing a suit with a black shirt, white necktie, white suspenders/braces, black shoes with white uppers, and a fedora hat. A boater hat is another accessory I've seen men wearing for the Roaring Twenties theme.

To extend the discussion by mentioning the Red and Gold theme, a tie and/or pocket square of the appropriate color will do the trick. Or perhaps add an appropriately colored vest or cummerbund.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Will be joining the QM2 next year for our first Cunard cruise. Have been on other cruise lines. We are looking forward to our cruise but not sure about some of the clothes I have worn on other cruises. Would linen trousers withe a collared shirt/polo shirt be acceptable as smart wear. I have several pairs of trousers/chinos but also feel smart and comfortable in linnen trousers. Thanks in advance. 

14 hours ago, B.Boomer said:

Will be joining the QM2 next year for our first Cunard cruise. Have been on other cruise lines. We are looking forward to our cruise but not sure about some of the clothes I have worn on other cruises. Would linen trousers withe a collared shirt/polo shirt be acceptable as smart wear. I have several pairs of trousers/chinos but also feel smart and comfortable in linnen trousers. Thanks in advance. 

Fine for smart wear, but not for Gala night wear.

• 1 month later...
On 3/28/2022 at 10:50 PM, bluemarble said:

Once again, since we've started a new browser page for this thread, I'll repeat the links to the three Dress Code and Theme Schedule documents for easy access.

QM2: QM2 2021-22 Dress Code and Theme Schedule

QE: QE 2021-22 Dress Code and Theme Schedule

QV: QV 2022 Dress Code and Theme Schedule

Thank you for posting this.

On 10/1/2021 at 10:05 AM, bluemarble said:

Here are links to partial 2021-22 dress code and themed evening schedules for Queen Mary 2 and Queen Elizabeth in PDF format. I've compiled these schedules from what other members have found on "My Cunard" within the day-by-day calendars for their voyages.  As of this posting, schedules are apparently not yet available for Queen Victoria.

QM2:  QM2 2021-22 Dress Code and Theme Schedule

QE:  QE 2021-22 Dress Code and Theme Schedule

This is very much a work-in-progress with many gaps in these schedules. I have filled in some gaps for QM2 under the assumption all seven-night transatlantic crossings will adhere to a standard schedule as they have in the past.

If you can fill in any of the gaps in these schedules, please post what you are seeing in "My Cunard" (or have learned elsewhere). If you are seeing schedules for QV, please post those here as well. I'll need the name of the ship, the begin/end dates of your voyage, and the dates and themes for all the "Gala Evenings" on your itinerary.

If you see anything that needs to be corrected, please post those corrections here as well. These documents reside on my Google Drive so I'll be able to update them there with your additions and corrections without needing to attach new versions here.

I have been told by a Cunard agent in the California office that men are no longer required to wear jackets on casual evenings in the Britannia dining room.  The new dress code that was sent to me states  slacks and a dress shirt for men on casual evenings in Britannia dining room; jacket, dress shirt and tie on formal nights. 

I would be pleased with any additional information related to the new dress code.  

24 minutes ago, travelite said:

I have been told by a Cunard agent in the California office that men are no longer required to wear jackets on casual evenings in the Britannia dining room.  The new dress code that was sent to me states  slacks and a dress shirt for men on casual evenings in Britannia dining room; jacket, dress shirt and tie on formal nights. 

I would be pleased with any additional information related to the new dress code.  

The Cunard dress code was changed prior to the restart of operations last summer to no longer require jackets for gentlemen on the Smart Attire evenings. As mentioned in reply #134 above, the dress code as stated in the daily programmes once on board the ships is as follows.

"Gala Evening.
Dinner jacket, tuxedo, or dark suit with regular tie or bow tie for gentlemen. Evening or cocktail dress, smart trouser suit, or formal separates for ladies.

Smart Attire.
Gentlemen, every night we request you wear trousers with a collared shirt; jacket and tie are optional. Ladies, blouses and skirts or stylish trousers and dresses are welcome."

Lots of information and advice re what men should or should not wear .I am a little confused as to what women can wear on formal nights.I have black evening pants which I thought I would wear with a very dark blue short sleeved lined top that has sequins of the same colour all over it .It is quite subdued but never the less it would be classed as ‘ sparkly’ .I have just asked a friend if this would be appropriate .She replied that very few,  if any , wear anything ‘ sparkly’.This statement has thrown me .( she has cruised half a dozen times in Cunard PG)  I wore this on a formal night on a Saga  cruise and I didn’t feel out of place .Would  some of you lovely helpful ladies please advise me? 

2 hours ago, baw53 said:

Lots of information and advice re what men should or should not wear .I am a little confused as to what women can wear on formal nights.I have black evening pants which I thought I would wear with a very dark blue short sleeved lined top that has sequins of the same colour all over it .It is quite subdued but never the less it would be classed as ‘ sparkly’ .I have just asked a friend if this would be appropriate .She replied that very few,  if any , wear anything ‘ sparkly’.This statement has thrown me .( she has cruised half a dozen times in Cunard PG)  I wore this on a formal night on a Saga  cruise and I didn’t feel out of place .Would  some of you lovely helpful ladies please advise me? 

I wear exactly that - nice palazzo trousers or a long skirt and a sparkly top.

E4CD3AB0-4790-4D21-BBA9-5E44AAE3D785.jpeg

DE3C1264-AF4C-4526-A952-B2A45A94137A.jpeg

Edited by Tonopah
  • Like 4

In addition to Tonopah and her husbands lovely outfits, you can view all of the lunch and dinner outfits that my wife and I wore on our QM2 crossings earlier this year on this thread: https://boards.cruisecritic.co.uk/topic/2855494-queen-mary-2-29th-may-round-trip-crossing/

My wife even wore some sparkly outfits at lunchtime.

The vast majority of ladies wore elegant outfits every night, many of them sparkly.

• Like 2