Dress Code and Theme Schedules for 2021-22

bluemarble

1 hour ago, B.Boomer said:

Why not ? My Polo shirts are smarter than a lot of people's so called smart shirts. I will be wearing my polo shirts on my cruise. 

I didn't pay much attention to what others were wearing on QM2. I'm not sure if there were many gents wearing polo shirts on non gala nights, although I would say most wore jackets shirts and ties.

I did note a few folk wearing jeans and tee shirts. It seemed to be completely intentional for one small group in The Queens Room, that were dancing some variety of Jive/Swing. We thought they looked awful but they seemed quite happy.

There does seem to be a school of thought that because polo shirts generally have a knitted 'collar', that satisfies the requirement, and it's not for me to judge other's take on that.

Personally I take the view that the clue is in the name 'polo'.

Polo is a sport, therefore a polo shirt is sports wear and I would never consider wearing one for anything other than sports or dossing about the house.

Where we live not many folk dress for lunch or dinner, but I would never go out for either wearing anything other than a proper business or dress collared shirt. Sometimes it might be a short sleeved shirt as it can be very warm here from spring through to autumn.

23 minutes ago, D&N said:

I didn't pay much attention to what others were wearing on QM2. I'm not sure if there were many gents wearing polo shirts on non gala nights, although I would say most wore jackets shirts and ties.

I did note a few folk wearing jeans and tee shirts. It seemed to be completely intentional for one small group in The Queens Room, that were dancing some variety of Jive/Swing. We thought they looked awful but they seemed quite happy.

There does seem to be a school of thought that because polo shirts generally have a knitted 'collar', that satisfies the requirement, and it's not for me to judge other's take on that.

Polo is a sport, therefore a polo shirt is sports wear and I would never consider wearing one for anything other than sports or dossing about the house.

Where we live not many folk dress for lunch or dinner, but I would never go out for either wearing anything other than a proper business or dress collared shirt. Sometimes it might be a short sleeved shirt as it can be very warm here from spring through to autumn.

As far as I know, polo shirts fit the requirement… do I buy a jacket to go with them… bought a dinner suit for the posh nights and managed to persuade the OH to get a couple of frocks. Well, I bought them. 

9 minutes ago, buchanan101 said:

… do I buy a jacket to go with them…

That's your choice.

I only stated my view.

Thinking back, I think I did wear a tee shirt and chinos one lunchtime. Next time I'll save some space/weight by leaving all tee shirts, other than gym wear, at home.

2 minutes ago, D&N said:

That's your choice.

I only stated my view.

Thinking back, I think I did wear a tee shirt and chinos one lunchtime. Next time I'll save some space/weight by leaving all tee shirts, other than gym wear, at home.

I only have blue chinos… not sure a blue blazer type jacket goes with them. Maybe a blazer plus tan/green chinos required…! Good job I bought two large Samsonite cases…

1 hour ago, D&N said:

Dress shirts are usually worn when playing snooker have seen chinos on a golf course, cricketers wear shirts does that make them sports wear ?

Where do you draw the line ?

When I go out I nearly always wear a polo shirt as they in my opinion look smart (a lot smarter than some peoples idea of a dress shirt )and can be worn with a jacket as well.

I won't be wearing jeans or a tee shirt of an evening but I will look smart and will feel comfortable. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I'm overdue posting the links to the dress code and theme schedule documents for easy access here now that we are on a new web page. I've noted itinerary changes in the latest updates. I don't think there have been any recent changes to the dress code and theme schedules themselves. Please let me know if you notice any differences between these documents and the schedules listed in the daily calendar section for your voyages as found in My Cunard.

QM2: QM2 2021-22 Dress Code and Theme Schedule

QE: QE 2021-22 Dress Code and Theme Schedule

QV: QV 2022 Dress Code and Theme Schedule

Also please let me know if you are seeing dress code and theme schedules for 2023 yet. I was given the schedules for QV's 2023 World Voyages quite a while ago. I don't have any other 2023 schedules beyond those for early January 2023 already included in the documents above.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, techteach said:

@bluemarble QM2 - Dec. 20. is Masquerade. It is blank on your spread sheet.

Hi, @techteach. I've had Dec 20, 2022 listed as the Masquerade theme since the first version of the document for QM2. I am showing Dec 31, 2022 as a Gala Evening with no theme for QM2. If you are seeing a theme for Dec 31, I'll be happy to update the QM2 document accordingly.

With the addition today of the schedule for QV's Canary Island Celebration (Christmas) cruise, the dress code and theme schedule for QV is now complete! QM2's schedule was completed several months ago and QE's schedule is only missing one day (December 14, 2022). Coincidentally, it's exactly one year to the day since I started this thread on October 1, 2021. When I started this project I never imagined we'd be able to get such complete schedules. Thank you so much to everyone who has contributed their voyage schedules for this project.

Now an update on the stats for the number of gala evenings per week for each ship.

QM2: 1.87 Gala Evenings per week

QE: 1.67 Gala Evenings per week

QV: 1.75 Gala Evenings per week

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/27/2022 at 5:33 PM, bluemarble said:

... (p)lease let me know if you are seeing dress code and theme schedules for 2023 yet. I was given the schedules for QV's 2023 World Voyages quite a while ago. I don't have any other 2023 schedules beyond those for early January 2023 already included in the documents above.

Thank you for doing this for your fellow cruisers! My wife is eagerly awaiting a schedule for 2023. We're cruising Australia on QM2 and she has shopping on her mind!

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, B.Boomer said:

Sorry if this question has been asked before.  On smart evenings is a shirt with a Grandad collar ok. I have saw on that looks smart and feels comfortable.  Would just like to know before I waste my money.

Smart attire nights yes 

Formal nights no as you couldn't wear a tie with it. Imo

7 hours ago, 2BACRUISER said:

Smart attire nights yes 

Formal nights no as you couldn't wear a tie with it. Imo

Not sure that works on any night. It hasn’t got a collar (if my understanding of grandad shirts is correct). Polo shirts are ok - I wore one forgetting my jacket one evening two weeks ago.   Not sure how strict the style police are! 

@B.Boomer Grand dad collar. Never heard that term before, but I assume you mean a button down shirt without a collar. I wonder if you could put a bow tie with it? I saw so many really fun bow ties last weekend, but of course my ultra conservative (in clothing) DH would never even think of wearing one of them. Purple with chartreuse polk dots. Bright yellow with multi-colored dots.  Now, I don’t know if a bow tie will stay on the shirt you are referring to, and you would have to actually tie the tie rather than use a clip on or pre-tied velcro because it would be visible. Have fun!

8 hours ago, techteach said:

@B.Boomer Grand dad collar. Never heard that term before, but I assume you mean a button down shirt without a collar. I wonder if you could put a bow tie with it? I saw so many really fun bow ties last weekend, but of course my ultra conservative (in clothing) DH would never even think of wearing one of them. Purple with chartreuse polk dots. Bright yellow with multi-colored dots.  Now, I don’t know if a bow tie will stay on the shirt you are referring to, and you would have to actually tie the tie rather than use a clip on or pre-tied velcro because it would be visible. Have fun!

I don't see why not; it's not too dissimilar to a wing collar shirt.

• Like 1