QR code - COVID 19 Vaccinations, iOS 15 Health App

Coral

This came up in another thread but thought I would post make a new post.

I got my COVID vaccine at Walmart. When I login to Walmart - I can see a QR code. In iOS 15, I can scan that code with my camera app and then a Health Button appears. I press that button and it is added to my vaccine records within Apple's Health app.

Here is some more info: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT212752

I am flying next week (not international) - will be near where @dogs4fun lives. I was trying to decide if I should bring my paper vaccine card or not. Anyone have thoughts on domestic travel and vaccine cards. I won't be going to any concerts or anything. Just visiting some mountain towns.

• Thanks 1

My feeling is that these cards cannot be replaced so if the towns that you are going to do not require proof of vaccination, I would not take it.  I need it for my international travels and am scared that I will lose it.  I do have pictures and vaxyes but that may not be accepted internationally.  

• Like 1

I don't want to lose mine either. I was thinking of leaving it at home.

I do have pictures on my phone, I downloaded an app called CommonPass which read the QR code from Walmart's website and loaded the info into that and then I did follow the steps that put it in my Health App on the phone. I also printed off my vaccination records from the State I live in.

I do think if I lose it, Walmart will replace it.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ljandgb said:

My vaccine card is in my wallet next to my insurance card.  I don't think it hurts to take it with you.

I got my vax thru a local hospital.  No QR code for me. 😞

I was surprised when I logged into Walmart that I could see the QR code. Thus, I posted this. I don't know how common it is. Someone on another thread mentioned that they had a QR code on their card.

We just returned from an international trip.  Our experience is that you needed the original card, not a copy or picture, or some sort of official vaccine proof on your phone with a QR code.  It was checked at each airport before boarding a flight and at the hotel at check in.

On  the reverse side coming back to US from Europe, our card was not checked once.  All that was checked was our proof of a negative Covid test result.

• Like 1

The QR code? I also had my jabs at Walmart and there is no QR CODE on my card. As for traveling, I take it with me on every cruise now. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Lois R said:

The QR code? I also had my jabs at Walmart and there is no QR CODE on my card. As for traveling, I take it with me on every cruise now. 

If you login to Walmart's website and select Pharmacy, the QR codes are there.

I am domestically traveling right now. So no international travel. My point of this post was to let people know who do have access to a QR code that they can load it into their phone. It is probably not a substitute for international travel but it may prevent people from carrying it with them all the time (I know some that do that when they are home).

Edited by Coral

14 minutes ago, Coral said:

If you login to Walmart's website and select Pharmacy, the QR codes are there.

Nope.....nothing is there. I wonder if each store or each County Health Dept has different protocols.

I was just curious more than anything else. Not sure why the code is necessary.  I have my card and that is really what is important.

9 minutes ago, Lois R said:

Nope.....nothing is there. I wonder if each store or each County Health Dept has different protocols.

I was just curious more than anything else. Not sure why the code is necessary.  I have my card and that is really what is important.

Our state is anti-vaccine app/passport.

In Walmart's website - click other accounts, then Pharmacy. Type your PIN (4 digit #). There is something called digital vaccines record. Click on that.

The code makes it easy to load on your phone in an app.

This is what their website says:

About your digital vaccine record

Private and only accessible to you, the digital vaccine record is a convenient, electronic version of the paper copy you received when you had your COVID-19 immunization at your local Walmart pharmacy.

Proof of vaccination

You can present a print out or your digital QR code as proof of vaccination if needed.

Safely share with Walmart Partners

If you choose to do so, you can safely share your vaccine record with our trusted partners by uploading or scanning the QR code provided.

What is a SMART® Health Card?

• Holds important vaccination or lab report data
  • Can be scanned to verify that your information has not been tampered with
  • Acts as a digital back-up record of your paper CDC vaccination card.
Edited by Coral

Hi, I did all that........I went to Digital Vaccine Records, clicked on it and it says they are not showing any records.   I am not worried about it. I have my original card with the dates of my jabs. I was really just looking out curiosity. 

5 minutes ago, Lois R said:

Hi, I did all that........I went to Digital Vaccine Records, clicked on it and it says they are not showing any records.   I am not worried about it. I have my original card with the dates of my jabs. I was really just looking out curiosity. 

That is weird. Sorry. I was looking just because I am traveling this week and was reading comments on tech sites about iOS 15.

1 minute ago, Coral said:

That is weird. Sorry. I was looking just because I am traveling this week and was reading comments on tech sites about iOS 15.

No need to apologize. Thanks for trying to help🙂 It gives a phone number if you can't get it.

As for traveling? I fly to Lisbon on Wednesday😀.....but I don't read tech sites LOL........the only online site I use is this one.........I am not into any other social media.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Lois R said:

No need to apologize. Thanks for trying to help🙂 It gives a phone number if you can't get it.

As for traveling? I fly to Lisbon on Wednesday😀.....but I don't read tech sites LOL........the only online site I use is this one.........I am not into any other social media.

I am in the tech industry so the sites I read are industry news (not social media).

Have fun in Lisbon!

26 minutes ago, CC_Hobie_Bob said:

It worked for my CVS health card. 

I tried to see if I could add my Walgreens Flu Vaccine and there wasn't a QR code on their site. Though I just got my vaccine this week.

Edited by Coral

Just a point of view from a Canadian.  I think all our provinces are now going to some sort of "vaccine passport", where you have to show proof of vaccine for dining indoors, museums, concerts or other activities.  Most provinces are also going the way of a QR code.  You go to your provincial health site, download your vaccine records and put the code / record on your phone.  We should (hopefully) have our QR code by the 22nd.

If travelling between provinces, it's almost as bad as travelling in Europe, some are "free" to go back and forth, other's need passes, and some are back to requiring the 14 day isolation, vaccine or not. 

As far as I know, the Cdn govt. is also working with the EU to ensure our codes are good for there.  Hopefully that will mean that we can show our code there, or apply for the EU "pass" with our code.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Coral said:

I tried to see if I could add my Walgreens Flu Vaccine and there wasn't a QR code on their site. Though I just got my vaccine this week.

Hi, I actually called the number and she said to try again later LOL....she said they were having some technical issues. Looks like they need YOU😃

• 2 months later...

Rick Steves just came back from a Europe trip. He suggested taking a good photo of your card and having it printed and laminated. Another suggestion is to just take a phot of it and keep it on your cell phone. In both cases you should take the origional and keep it in a separate secure spot.

Funny this came up. After my 3rd jab, I had problems seeing my QR code at Walmart. I went to 3 different Walmarts for my jabs. I tried calling Walmart for help - well, that was a joke.

When I saw this thread again, I decided to go into Walmart's website again and I can see the QR code! Good timing as I am traveling this next weekend!

On 10/1/2021 at 8:00 PM, Coral said:

This came up in another thread but thought I would post make a new post.

I got my COVID vaccine at Walmart. When I login to Walmart - I can see a QR code. In iOS 15, I can scan that code with my camera app and then a Health Button appears. I press that button and it is added to my vaccine records within Apple's Health app.

Here is some more info: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT212752

I am flying next week (not international) - will be near where @dogs4fun lives. I was trying to decide if I should bring my paper vaccine card or not. Anyone have thoughts on domestic travel and vaccine cards. I won't be going to any concerts or anything. Just visiting some mountain towns.

In Europe (specifically in EU and Schengen and/or European Free Trade Association member countries), only QR code they officially accept for that purpose (QR codes that works with cell phones/tablets that people at restaurants, museums, airport, etc. are using to verify vaccination status) are the EU or EU-compliant QR codes for Coronavirus immunity (typically via vaccination, though exceptions apply). 

QR codes from Walmart might actually confuse people in Europe more than help them.  I personally would not recommend not trying to see if it even "works" in Europe.  When we were in Switzerland/Germany/Netherlands last month, we had the Swiss QR codes (which were easily obtainable by sending an e-mail with scans of a few documents, including passport face page, vaccination record, etc.) to one of the Swiss Canton-level health departments.  it was free at that time, but I heard that some, if not all of them are starting to charge a modest fee for this.  Either way, the Swiss QR code worked for most  cases.   Not all countries are generous with giving out EU compliant QR codes to tourists from US.  In our experience, the Swiss ones were the easiest to obtain.  For example, the Netherlands will NOT issue their QR codes to those vaccinated in the US, though they accept the Swiss ones....go figure.  The French is still having a hard time issuing it to tourists ahead of time.  Application to the German ones, in our experience was a bit of a hurdle because we had to apply something like 3 days before arrival, and from what I could tell, that QR code (if it's even that) only was good for a very short time, compared to the Swiss ones, which are good for 1 year after the most recent vaccination date.

However, we still needed to show the actual paper vaccination certificates when we were checking in to our flights in Chicago as well as boarding Crystal Debussy.  I have no idea if a picture of the card on your phone would have been accepted, but I did not ask.  I think every entity (at the levels of government, business, individual. etc.)  can make up their own rules about this, so I think it is better to have the actual cards with you, in addition to obtaining an EU-compliant QR code, unless you managed to ask, ahead of time, if ALL of the people who might be asking for proof of vaccination if a picture on the phone is good enough...that's nearly impossible to do.

Edited by Psoque

5 minutes ago, Psoque said:

In Europe (specifically in EU and Schengen and/or European Free Trade Association member countries), only QR code they accept for that purpose (QR codes that works with cell phones/tablets that people at restaurants, museums, airport, etc.) are the EU or EU-compliant QR codes for Coronavirus immunity (typically via vaccination, though exceptions apply). 

Walmart's QR codes does qualify for the Smart Health Card standard defined by the Vaccination Credential Initiative. CLEAR and CommonPass will accept this.

I agree - it probably doesn't meet the requirements for Europe but if more companies accept CLEAR and Common Pass, it will be accepted more. I know places that accept these now currently. Example - NYC for indoor activities.

For me - I was thrilled to have the info in my Health Data app as easy reference for me as I don't carry my card with me on a daily basis unless I travel.

44 minutes ago, Psoque said:

However, we still needed to show the actual paper vaccination certificates when we were checking in to our flights in Chicago as well as boarding Crystal Debussy.  I have no idea if a picture of the card on your phone would have been accepted, but I did not ask.  I think every entity (at the levels of government, business, individual. etc.)  can make up their own rules about this, so I think it is better to have the actual cards with you, in addition to obtaining an EU-compliant QR code, unless you managed to ask, ahead of time, if ALL of the people who might be asking for proof of vaccination if a picture on the phone is good enough...that's nearly impossible to do.

It sounds like United is using the Smart Health card standard:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/experience/cruise/cruise-lines/vantage-deluxe-world-travel/2021/10/03/united-airlines-uses-apple-health-allow-travelers-share-vaccine-info/5982334001/  

It appears that this is a standard and is becoming more popular. Several companies (not just Walmart) are using this standard to generate QR codes for this standard.

https://www.commontrustnetwork.org/verifier-list 

Edited by Coral

Neither the Canadian nor the Walmart smart code work within the EU. The reader apps do not recognize it. But if you have applied for the Swiss or French one it works all over EU. You only need one and don´t have to apply for each country.

steamboats