The Daily for Saturday October 02, 2021

richwmn

Today is International Frugal Fun Day, National Custodial Worker Day, and Name Your Car Day

"I no doubt deserved my enemies, but I don't believe I deserved my friends. - Walt Whitman"

Meal suggestion for today - Jambalaya Pasta

Drink of the Day - Gin and tonic

Wine of the day - Wolf Blass Yellow Label Shiraz - Australia - Red

Destination of the Day - Saint Georges Grenada

Ships with Passengers

Korcula Island, Korcula, Croat
Eurodam 08:00 - 17:00

Seattle
Nieuw Amsterdam Washington 07:00 - 17:00

Ships without Passengers

At Sea Pacific
Noordam Destination Puerto Vallarto MX eta 10/4

Corfu GR
Volendam
Zaandam

Ensenada MX
Westerdam
Zuiderdam Anchorage

Great Stirrup Cay
Nieuw Statendam Anchorage

Rotterdam NL
Oosterdam
Rotterdam

San Diego
Koningsdam

1002World.thumb.png.01f900ca5cd1864f8c5ed2cd16e66323.png

• Like 31
  • Thanks 9

Good morning.   Thanks for the Daily Report.

Great collection of days.  I always try to be frugal (no, I'm not cheap, I'm frugal 😁).  I salute custodial workers, my brother is a school custodian.   We haven't named our car, but the truck is called Big Blue.

Wonderful quote.

The dinner suggestion sounds good, but we had pasta a couple of nights ago. 

Gin and tonic is my go to cocktail.  I think I like the wine too.

I've never been to Grenada, hope there will be lots of wonderful pictures posted.

Prayers for everyone.

Have a wonderful Saturday.  Stay safe.

• Like 27

Thank you for the Saturday Daily Rich.  I try to be frugal, and a BIG salute to Custodian workers in these trying times.  I haven't named a car but wonder if @Seasick Sailor's Elvis counts.  Interesting and humble quote by Whitman.  I have not been to Grenada.  The pizza sounds interesting.  My alternative is Chilled Blackberry Soup, Veal Parmigana, and Peach Crisp as served on MS Amsterdam October 2, 2017.

https://solocabinchallenge.files.wordpress.com/2017/10/dishes02.jpg

Today’s care list:

Welfare of furloughed crews
Western wildfires
cat shepard’s friend undergoing chemo for stage four cancer but responding VERY well
StLouisSal’s friend
Lady Hudson’s BIL in rehab
Lindaler recovering from a fall
smitty34877 DDIL testing positive
From the rotation:
NextOne DDIL with long haul Covid
Krazy Kruizer DH Joe

Celebrations and Shoutouts

Welcome aboard Geriatric Nurse
2 BHB with passengers
Front Line Health Care Workers
Cruising-along on Eurodam
Jajmd on Nieuw Amsterdam
Bon Voyage Aliaschief
1 day for Sea Viewer (Odyssey OTS)
5 days for Vict0riann, VMaxx1700, sailingdutchy and NextOne
8 days for Sharon and Koningsdam
Relief for Dfish
Sharon with her mom
JAM37 with DMIL
Boosters for me (Wed), durangoscots (Friday), and kb4683(Sat)
and Staff Captain Sabine, HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

• Like 29
  • Thanks 8

Good afternoon.

It is cold and wet but we are waiting for our lunch inside overlooking a lake so all good.

Thank you for today's daily and care/celebrations reports.

Even when I have always done right and been generous to certain people I know they dislike me through jealousy.

Nice days today.

Pauline always gives our cars names.

When we went to Grenada on a cruise we walked around the terminal and ventured outside but we're not impressed so we got back on the ship.

Prayers to everyone on the care list.

Take care and stay safe. 

Graham.

16331731592723563241610465548188.jpg

• Like 30
  • Thanks 2

Thank you for today’s Daily, Rich!

Roy, thank you for keeping our lists. Morning Dailyite family!

A busy morning here. I have some marching to do. I will check back in later. 

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating! Stay well everyone!

Wolf Blass Yellow Label Shiraz - Australia

This Shiraz from Southern Australia does not have much info from reviewers available. What I did find was from the 2016 vintage.  This wine has good reviews, and a very decent starting price of $11.30.

A bright, fresh Shiraz with aromas of red cherry and plum, and hints of subtle spice. The palate is smooth, approachable and well balanced, showcasing juicy berry fruits, with lingering flavours and a soft, plush finish.

• Like 24
  • Thanks 6

Good Morning Everyone, thanks for the daily report.  Today’s meal suggestion sounds interesting but will wait until @dfishposts the recipe.  It was an exciting night in the house last night.  Tucker found a mouse but it got away.  This morning the mouse was in the bathroom and was Amelia’s newest toy.  Funeral services were held at 5:20 this morning.  It must have been a very busy night of hunting and playing because they are  all sleeping.

image.thumb.png.ee7a99e4d9e57e27dc9d7a9db088f0bc.png

• Like 26
  • Haha 13

Thanks for the Daily, Rich and our Saturday smile 🙂 

Good collection of days.  Our Custodial workers certainly deserve a day especially with all of the extra work with covid.  I am pretty frugal in my daily life except when we travel 😉  Totally confess that neither DH nor I have ever named our cars.

I love that quote by Walt Whitman.

Interesting meal suggestion - I’ll wait for Debbie’s recipe.

@Crazy For Cats wow on the mouse in the house.  I bet your cats had a blast.  Sounds like they had you up bright and early if the funeral services were at 5:20!    In honour of your cats eradicating the varmint and since Debbie and I were talking about Amazon yesterday:

7EB2CC07-F608-4C32-897A-5AB456A76CFD.jpeg.b2ef9d362456f1a177c833c2a8267b0c.jpeg

Didn’t get too far on the housekeeping yesterday between interruptions, putting in a new phone set and a tech guy over to help with DH’s Mac.  I knew his laptop’s problem was beyond my pay grade but, fortunately, I found this great housekeeping tip in case:

74FB96F5-4EEE-4A58-ACC7-BDA72458A5D1.jpeg.7872bb1e6f494e33363deb86564e667e.jpeg

The day has started out very dull and doesn’t look promising.  Hoping I am wrong as I really need to get at outside stuff.  Time is limited before it gets too cold to work comfortably.

Prayers for everyone on the Care list & for those that need them and 🥂 to those on the Celebratory / Shout Out list.

Have a great Saturday everyone!!!!!!

EFAE069E-0E28-4480-B879-C024535C6499.jpeg.882a5c3f0a96bb787a810242c4389805.jpeg

Stay safe & please don’t forget your 😷 

• Like 23
  • Haha 17

Good morning everyone and thanks for the daily report.  Frugal fun is the best kind because you know that a big bill isn’t forthcoming.  Where would we be without custodians, in a mess for sure.  While it doesn’t have an official name our 2003 Toyota Highlander could be called Endurance, it still looks brand new.  I like the quote by Whitman.  The meal suggestion sounds nice but since we’re off to Provincetown for a week later today we’ll be dining out each night, I’ll take the g&t though.  We were in Grenada in 2008 and did a great bird watching excursion with one of the leading ornithologists in the region, sadly no pics.  Prayers for everyone on our prayer list today and cheers to everyone celebrating a happy event.  

• Like 25

Good Morning everyone! Thank you Rich for the Daily Report, and thank you Roy for the Cares and Celebrations Report. And thank you everyone for caring and sharing! Have a great Saturday!

We don't name our cars - but I use to name my tractors when we lived in Maryland.  🙂   I was laid up one summer after surgery on the couch and watched all the B&W Western TV shows from when I was young. It gave me the idea to name the tractors and even had miniature MD "Farm" license plates made to attach to the grilles. This is my diesel tractor "Paladin" setup for winter. I was a good neighbor as I not only removed our snow but cleared five neighbors driveways as well.

1066804837_DSCN28952.thumb.JPG.d1886632c26d4b62298e971c7e8d5b07.JPG

742753228_DSCN28953.JPG.8b7602441acc6d1514dd8bc04aba534f.JPG

Edited by Heartgrove
  • Like 34

We have been to Grenade twice on cruises. The first time we took a ships tour to a spice factory and cigar making facility. Both were informative and I got to roll my own cigar.

The second time we got a driver at the port and went on a tour of the island. It is amazingly mountainous and very lush and green. Would love to visit again.

• Like 24

Happy Saturday.  Bright sunshine this morning, going to be in the 90's.  Our Custodian was the most important person at school I thought.  He did so much more than clean.  My sisters always did and still do name their cars.  The meal sounds interesting.  Have not been to today's port.

Prayers and toasts to our lists and to all of us.

Please continue to stay safe, social distance, and wear your mask.

Gin and Tonic:

A gin and tonic or, less frequently, gin tonic, is a highball cocktail made with gin and tonic water poured over a large amount of ice. The ratio of gin to tonic varies according to taste, strength of the gin, other drink mixers being added, etc., with most recipes calling for a ratio between 1:1 and 1:3. Wikipedia
Main alcohol: Gin
Ingredients: 1 part to 3 parts gin (to taste), 3 parts tonic water
Preparation: In a glass filled with ice cubes, add gin and tonic.
Served: On the rocks; poured over ice
Standard garnish: A slice or wedge of lime
Drinkware: Highball glass, Rocks glass

Screen Shot 2021-10-02 at 8.23.37 AM.png

• Like 24
  • Thanks 7

Good morning, everyone.  

I guess I slept in today.  It felt good after a week of having to get up early every day.  Absolutely nothing is planned except for a dip in the pool later this morning.  We definitely need to salute our custodians.  What an important service they provide to us!   When I was a teenager we had a car that we referred to as The Old White Ghost.  It was one of those that kept running and running.  When my dad went to buy a new car they wouldn't take it as a trade in because of age and condition.  In fact, they wanted to charge him to take it.  

I've had today's wine and it was good.  For a shiraz I prefer the Black Opal I had on the Koningsdam.  I don't think they carry that brand anymore.  

Today's meal sounds really good.   When one of my sisters was living in the New Orleans area I really got into the Cajun/Creole cooking.   I have several of Paul Prudhomme's cookbooks and the one from Commander's Palace.  I never got to Prudhomme's restaurant as the line was always way too long.  

This first one is an easy recipe for a busy home.   The key is in the seasoning.   Also, the trinity of cajun cooking:  onions, bell pepper, and celery.  https://easyweeknightrecipes.com/one-pot-jambalaya-pasta/

Jambalaya-Pasta-2-1.thumb.jpg.a914997f809857e27cf1772452d3b845.jpg

Jambalaya-Pasta-7.thumb.jpg.ec5a3e283628d1c257efa1fcaaa3ec08.jpg

This next recipe includes shrimp along with the chicken and sausage.   https://dinnerthendessert.com/easy-cajun-jambalaya-pasta/

Cajun-Jambalaya-Pasta-3-768x1074.thumb.jpg.e13551f1fe18fe660b6af08265aef7d5.jpg

And the last selection is for a creamy jambalaya pasta:   https://southernbite.com/creamy-one-pot-jambalaya-pasta/

Creamy-One-Pot-Jambalaya-Pasta-2.jpg.99d22e16b87875f7a4b2cd3a3e8bc3d1.jpg

Have a great day!

• Like 28
  • Thanks 8

Good morning everyone. CC is acting up on my iPad again so I  had to go around it and under it to fool it into letting me post. It’s 47/degrees this morning but sunny with a predicted temperature of 77 today. We’ve begun cold nights and cold mornings . 
What does a day of frugal fun even mean? 
Anyone watch Jeopardy? I love Matt who has won over a million dollars and I’m holding my breath every night watching him and how smart he is.

Sam has settled in well and we like the new aide so all is fine .

Stay safe everyone,

Carol

Edited by mamaofami
  • Like 39

Good Morning. Thanks for the daily and the lists.

When I was young, everyone I knew was frugal. The previous generation had gone through the great depression and frugality had been the only way to survive. Our society today is so much more wasteful.

Love the quote. The meal is a great idea - basically substituting pasta for the traditional rice.

Stay safe everyone.

• Like 23