Sel de Mer - Your Favorite Dishes

NCTribeFan

2 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

I recall that this was on the regular PG menu.  It was delicious!  Have not tried it at Sel de Mer.  The Dover Sole keeps "calling my name".  

It's seriously delicious at Sel de Mer.  Someone upthread said it was the best bouillabaisse they have ever had.  I would agree.  There is some flavor in it that I keep trying to identify, but to no avail.  Something to look forward to, RKA.

• Like 1

We booked Sel de Mer for our upcoming Koningsdam cruise and are looking forward to it.  I noticed there's a different menu on the app than on the website, so not sure what the exact menu will be.  Also, we were able to book it for $47.20 including gratuity (it says $49 + 18% gratuity online and in the app), so people may want to book it at this price if they're interested in it since it saves about $10 a person.  That price showed up when I clicked on the reserve button.

2 hours ago, roxybear135 said:

We booked Sel de Mer for our upcoming Koningsdam cruise and are looking forward to it.  I noticed there's a different menu on the app than on the website, so not sure what the exact menu will be.  Also, we were able to book it for $47.20 including gratuity (it says $49 + 18% gratuity online and in the app), so people may want to book it at this price if they're interested in it since it saves about $10 a person.  That price showed up when I clicked on the reserve button.

I just checked my reservation and we also paid $47.20 each. Always nice to save a little money. Only 25 days until we board ...can't wait.

Well, just booked a few days ago and it shows $57.80.  Wonder if I should cancel and rebook.  With my luck, I'd try that and it would say it was sold out.

Nope.  Just tried selecting it at a different time and it comes up as $57.80 in my --cart.  Is it more on the "pop-up" ships?

Edited by NCTribeFan

4 minutes ago, NCTribeFan said:

Well, just booked a few days ago and it shows $57.80.  Wonder if I should cancel and rebook.  With my luck, I'd try that and it would say it was sold out.

Can you call and ask them to refund the difference?

21 hours ago, roxybear135 said:

Can you call and ask them to refund the difference?

Iast week I booked a number of Rudi's evenings on the Nieuw Statendam in Feb.  Honestly, I don't remember looking at the price. By late afternoon, same day, I got a call from HAL reservations staff telling me I overpaid.  They gave me full refund for the 5 evenings and rebooked all again at the $47.20 price.  It's worth giving them a call and much easier than disputing once you are on board.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DoggyDaddy said:

Do they “debone” the Dover Sole and Branzino at the table?

The do debone the Dover Sole at the table.  I haven't had the branzino, but if they do the sole, why not that, too?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, dfish said:

The do debone the Dover Sole at the table.  I haven't had the branzino, but if they do the sole, why not that, too?

Have not ordered the Branzino, but repeatedly have ordered the Dover Sole and the fish is well deboned.  The MDR Steward does a decent job as well when one orders Kippered Herring for breakfast from what I observed.

Seeking advice - as a non-seafood person.  Back in the ala carte days I'd order the cheese souffle and a dessert, and would feel stuffed.  Now that it's $40 plus 18% I'm thinking it makes sense to go with something higher end, and lighter.  I don't like any of the appetizer choices, so I'd be doing an entree and dessert (profiteroles most likely).  Is the dover sole something a non seafood eater would like?  I've googled it and it seems to be white, firm, not fishy.  What's the experience of the experts here?  I can handle the herb crusted red snapper on Disney Cruise Line, as that's also white, firm, not fishy.  Do you think Dover sole would be a hit for me?  If not, what about the branzino?

Sue/WDW1972

23 hours ago, wdw1972 said:

Do you think Dover sole would be a hit for me?  If not, what about the branzino?

I don't remember ever ordering branzino anywhere.  I know it seems now to be a seafood popular item, but I have always been satisfied with Dover Sole.

Not a seafood/fish fan?  There are so many other options on the menu that you might better enjoy, why are you considering "taking a chance" on a disappointing dinner?  

What's the "luxury" of having Dover Sole for me? 

#1:  It is unobtainable where I live normally. 

#2:  The service of the Steward in watching him/her deboning the fish.

#3:  I enjoy the taste; the butter sauce supplied may or may not be to one's taste.  

#4:  I am paying for a "specialty restaurant experience" am I not?  Enjoying Dover Sole helps to make that experience worthwhile.  

• Like 1

On 10/14/2021 at 9:17 PM, wdw1972 said:

Seeking advice - as a non-seafood person.  Back in the ala carte days I'd order the cheese souffle and a dessert, and would feel stuffed.  Now that it's $40 plus 18% I'm thinking it makes sense to go with something higher end, and lighter.  I don't like any of the appetizer choices, so I'd be doing an entree and dessert (profiteroles most likely).  Is the dover sole something a non seafood eater would like?  I've googled it and it seems to be white, firm, not fishy.  What's the experience of the experts here?  I can handle the herb crusted red snapper on Disney Cruise Line, as that's also white, firm, not fishy.  Do you think Dover sole would be a hit for me?  If not, what about the branzino?

Sue/WDW1972

Dover Sole is not “fishy”.  It has a clean taste IMO but delicious.

The Branzino is totally different.  there’s nothing wrong with talking to your servers and telling them your preferences and they should tell you what they excel at.

there are options on the Sel de Mer menu. - like Steak Frites, Duck a L’Orange, etc.  You don’t have to eat fish if you don’t want to 😉 

I haven’t had a bad Sel de Mer yet and hopefully I never do 😉 

• Like 2

On 10/12/2021 at 10:44 AM, roxybear135 said:

It will be the menu on the app. The menu on the website is just a sample menu. 

• Like 1

On 10/12/2021 at 2:54 PM, NCTribeFan said:

Nope.  Just tried selecting it at a different time and it comes up as $57.80 in my --cart.  Is it more on the "pop-up" ships?

It might be the ship you are on. It was more on our last cruise, the Nieuw Amsterdam in Alaska. On that ship Rudi’s is a Pop Up only one evening a week, and the charge was more. I don’t have access to the amount right now (on the Koningsdam right now) but I remember it was more than it is on the Koningdam which has it’s own separate Rudi’s restaurant open each evening. 

I can finally access the menu on the app.  So far, I haven't been able to see much of anything there.  And "My Itinerary" shows up, including my reservation at Sel de Mer.  Yay!

Entrees show Catch of the day, Broiled Maine Lobster, Dover Sole Meuniere, Rack of Lamb, Branzino,  Beef Tenderloin, Cheese Souffle.  No duck listed.

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Sharon in AZ said:

I remember it was more than it is on the Koningdam which has it’s own separate Rudi’s restaurant open each evening. 

Since this concept was introduced, unless it has changed again, it went from ala carte pricing to a set price for the dinner (excluding wine, of course).  The set price did increase unless one only ordered very little ala carte.  Whatever!  The dining experience is worth every cent spent!