Air deviations and schedules

goletans

I learn so much from this forum! How do people do it who are not Cruise Critic posters?

So there is air deviation and custom air?

Either or both costs $175 pp total?

You only pay when you accept?

Air Deviation is a different day but accepting O's suggestion of flight?

Using O's hotel pre-cruise gets you air deviation but not custom air?

Custom Air is choosing a different routing or specific airline and costs the $175 plus any difference in fare?

Have I got it???

Why I am being so specific is my TA tells me that because of the connection to US products, O will want to route me through the states whereas I want to fly direct to Europe by Air Canada.

20 hours ago, WESTEAST said:

At this time, we feel better to have Oceania take care of our air for our return flight in the event of a Covid event.

I've really no idea what that means. Could you please elaborate?

3 hours ago, Jancruz said:

I dont know where it is in writing  but I was correct..UNLESS you asked for specific flights,(which they call custom air)  if you are staying at O's hotel with Oceania air there is NO deviation fee..The person you were talking to was incorrect..

Jancruz1

Could you please tell us who gave you that info? I wouldn't use it otherwise.

1 hour ago, Robjame said:

I learn so much from this forum! How do people do it who are not Cruise Critic posters?

So there is air deviation and custom air?

Either or both costs $175 pp total?

You only pay when you accept?

Air Deviation is a different day but accepting O's suggestion of flight?

Using O's hotel pre-cruise gets you air deviation but not custom air?

Custom Air is choosing a different routing or specific airline and costs the $175 plus any difference in fare?

Have I got it???

Why I am being so specific is my TA tells me that because of the connection to US products, O will want to route me through the states whereas I want to fly direct to Europe by Air Canada.

We fly from Vancouver direct (non-stop) to Europe and the few times we've used O air, it has never been a problem - we've paid the Air Differential for day of travel and if O Air doesn't have routing (e.g. with Air Canada as per your example) we want e.g., direct nonstop Canada to Europe, then, we pay a Custom air fee as well.  In the past, it worked out in cost compared to going via our TA or on our own.  We always compare the cost for all options. Just booked our 2023 cruise and actually surprised at O Bus Class rate when we compared it to Bus Class rate of airline that has a direct flight Vancouver to Istanbul (Turkish Airlines). Knowing we have time to finalize, our TA added O Bus Class outbound and O PE inbound to our booking and we will reassess 270+ days prior and she can remove the O Air if we find a better deal. 

Per O website FAQ page:

Custom air requests for specific airlines, routings, flights, etc can be requested once payment has been made on the booking and no earlier than 270 days prior to sailing. The cost to request custom air is $175 per guest per request plus any applicable air differential. The $175 service fee is non-refundable once the custom air is accepted.

Restricted business class air is business class on the intercontinental portions of the flight only.  All other portions of the flight would be in economy class.

Let's complicate this further. We want to use our local airport: SBA. We want to arrive a day early. We are willing to pay $175 pp now if O finds flights that meet my request. I understand that there will likely be an airfare differential.

In addition, because Santa Barbara is not an included air gateway, by paying $199 O will use SBA when they ticket the flights at 60-75 days before the cruise.

Wouldn't Santa Barbara be allowed as part of the air deviation request @ $175?  The request might include all components of the itinerary - airlines, stops, cities, travel days. Right?

So why should I pay $199 pp now if I am willing to pay $175 pp now if O finds flights that meet my request?

It is logical that the additional cost (if any) of using SBA would show up in the airfare differential.

So it is also logical that we we want custom air that we would not also immediately pay a local option for an additional fee.

I hope my question makes sense.

A nice thought but just like us, we can only pay extra to fly from Sacramento. LAX and SFO are the only two Gateway airports in CA. That is why we have to be willing to travel to SFO or even fly down to LAX depending on where we are headed and the desired flights. We have some friends heading out in a week and flying on their own dime down to LAX and then using their Oceania Air for their flight to Athens because that was the best flight option for them. 
it can always be a bit of a crap shoot but at least Oceania has to make it happen. 
ciao,

Gerry

• Like 1

7 hours ago, goletans said:

Following up on this "$ticker $hock" information, my TA just called with an Oceania rep on the phone that was adamant that the air deviation fee would not be included as a benefit to using an O hotel.  Now I'm sad again.

If you are using the O Hotel package you fly in early or stay after the cruise ..they do not charge you the air deviation 

4 hours ago, Robjame said:

I  tell my TA  what flights I want  & she asks O if any upcharge   if no & they can give me the A/C routing I want  I pay the  deviation fee

• Like 1

10 hours ago, LHT28 said:

I  tell my TA  what flights I want  & she asks O if any upcharge   if no & they can give me the A/C routing I want  I pay the  deviation fee

Thank you - still a little unclear to me 

Do I pay for Deviation - - - different day 

plus custom air - choosing airlines and/or route

= two payments per person?

18 minutes ago, Robjame said:

Thank you - still a little unclear to me 

Do I pay for Deviation - - - different day 

plus custom air - choosing airlines and/or route

= two payments per person?

I think you might be confusing  custom air  & routings

I usually fly in early  & ask for the flights I want    then when O & I agree  on those flights I pay the non refundable deviation fee  $175 PP at last count

If you want to fly in the same day as the cruise starts  & want your  specific routing then they will charge the deviation fee AFAIK

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

I usually fly in early  & ask for the flights I want    then when O & I agree  on those flights I pay the non refundable deviation fee  $175 PP at last count

That explains it - Thats what I want to do as well - TY 

Just now, Robjame said:

That explains it - Thats what I want to do as well - TY 

I look on ITAmatrix   choose my flights  then get my TA to submit them to O

Check flights on airline website  as well sometimes you can get  BUS class for  a  good deal

DO NOT book BUS via O  ..not  a good deal  unless they have a special deal which is rare IME

I do not do well in econ for overseas flights  so we try to do BUS  or PE  when possible

YMMV

20 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

I do not do well in econ for overseas flights  so we try to do BUS  or PE  when possible

Ditto

Looking to fly Bus Toronto - Rome early

Use O PE for return Lisbon - Toronto

Any experience with TAP business?

4 minutes ago, Kate-AHF said:

I can let you know in 21 days.  Was encouraged by the recent youtube vids on the A321-neo

LOL

I saw that YouTube too and that is what persuaded me to consider TAP as well. Thank you.

• Haha 1

Ladies and gents..please dont make this too complicated..it really is not difficult..Lyn has the simple way of booking air..I know exactly what I am doing but when i read some of these ther answers even i get confused....

Read Lyns  answers again..and simplify your lives..

Jancruz1

• Thanks 2

This is what I have learned. Oceania will search for a client's preferred flight to include some components of the itinerary - airlines, stops, cities, travel days. I pay $175 pp immediately if O finds flights that meet my request. However, the search is limited to O's Air Gateways. Because I want to use SBA, I must pay an additional $199 pp (dues at final payment) and O will search for flights that use SBA. O knows that smaller airports run higher, so add the $199 to cover that expense. That $199 does not show up in the airfare differential. Why? I have no idea. Bottom line is that if I want O's custom air I pay $374 pp

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, goletans said:

This is what I have learned. Oceania will search for a client's preferred flight to include some components of the itinerary - airlines, stops, cities, travel days. I pay $175 pp immediately if O finds flights that meet my request. However, the search is limited to O's Air Gateways. Because I want to use SBA, I must pay an additional $199 pp (dues at final payment) and O will search for flights that use SBA. O knows that smaller airports run higher, so add the $199 to cover that expense. That $199 does not show up in the airfare differential. Why? I have no idea. Bottom line is that if I want O's custom air I pay $374 pp

BTW we are neighbors..I live in Oxnard let me know when you are coming by..

Jancruz1

1 hour ago, goletans said:

Can you get to one of their Gateway airports  cheaper than the $199 PP ?

Might be worth just doing  that segment yourself

Today we are told that SBA is not an option even if we paid $199 pp. O's air contracts are changing and they do not have a contract for South America that allows Santa Barbara. Adding that segment ourselves becomes a luggage nightmare. Sigh. Our TA and I spent hours settling on our desired schedule to find out O could not consider our request after all.

17 minutes ago, goletans said:

Today we are told that SBA is not an option even if we paid $199 pp. O's air contracts are changing and they do not have a contract for South America that allows Santa Barbara. Adding that segment ourselves becomes a luggage nightmare. Sigh. Our TA and I spent hours settling on our desired schedule to find out O could not consider our request after all.

Maybe you can ship your luggage  to the ship?

Option 2  fly/train/bus to LAX the day before & relax at  a hotel overnight 

Just  a thought

• Like 1

We'll manage getting to LAX as we've done in the past. It's just extremely frustrated with all the mixed communication we received from various people at Oceania. So, we bought the custom air and paid $50 to change the credit card on file. Yep, there's a fee for that, too.

1 hour ago, goletans said:

paid $50 to change the credit card on file. Yep, there's a fee for that, too.

Say what now? When did this start? I've paid using different cards on the same cruise for various reasons over the years. 

From your understanding is this an Oceania policy or the Travel Agency you're using?