Least stressful drive from Sanford (Auto Train station) to Fort Lauderdale?

Turtles06

We'll be arriving in Sanford via the Auto Train on the Tuesday morning after Thanksgiving, and driving to Fort Lauderdale.  Recognizing that road conditions can vary on any given day, as a general matter what would be the least stressful way to do that drive?  Florida's Turnpike?  I-95?   

Thanks for any information and advice!  (We do have an EZ Pass.) 

1 hour ago, Turtles06 said:

We'll be arriving in Sanford via the Auto Train on the Tuesday morning after Thanksgiving, and driving to Fort Lauderdale.  Recognizing that road conditions can vary on any given day, as a general matter what would be the least stressful way to do that drive?  Florida's Turnpike?  I-95?   

Thanks for any information and advice!  (We do have an EZ Pass.) 

I would take State Road 46 east to I-95 and then all the way south to Fort Lauderdale.

• Like 2

Plus 1 on the I-95 suggest  And truck traffic will likely be reduced.

there's a lot of construction going on now on the Turnpike. Even though work will likely be suspended, many shoulders etc remain closed, narrow lanes in a few places, etc.

12 minutes ago, Orlando Vic said:

I would take State Road 46 east to I-95 and then all the way south to Fort Lauderdale.

4 minutes ago, Cienfuegos said:

Plus 1 on the I-95 suggest  And truck traffic will likely be reduced.

there's a lot of construction going on now on the Turnpike. Even though work will likely be suspended, many shoulders etc remain closed, narrow lanes in a few places, etc.

Thank you both. That’s why I asked the local experts! 

If you have a smart phone, I suggest downloading a good navigation app and follow that. I know how to get to various places here in Central Florida, but lately I have started to use my phone app almost daily, because of traffic congestion. The app gets real-time traffic information and provides the least congested route as well as warn of delays ahead. 

It has really helped my frustration level with congestion and my sanity. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Oviedo32765 said:

If you have a smart phone, I suggest downloading a good navigation app and follow that.

Thanks. I do, and I definitely check real time traffic. But given the distances involved here, I wanted to get advice on those two major routes, as we have to start the drive somewhere. 🤣

If I’m first visiting the Orlando area I normally take the Florida Turnpike South and switch over to Interstate 95 South at the Fort Pierce exit. The two hundred twenty five mile trip under normal traffic conditions takes approximately three and a half to four hours.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Waze is your friend. We were on our way home from a soccer tournament once. Waze routed us off the highway just in time. Others on our team didn't get the text fast enough. They were stuck on the highway for 4 hours with no movement. They missed the first half of the Superbowl. We made it around the accident. It took about 30 minutes to weasel through the side roads for about 5 miles. We saw the accident and there was no way for any of them to get around until it was cleared.

Edited by BoozinCroozin
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

That's a good rec for Waze! 

one difficulty with the Turnpike is the exits are widely spaced. So, if something happens, you may be stuck.

I take the Turnpike when I travel from Stuart to  Lakeland or Sarasota. I prefer 95, but the Turnpike is usually OK. I always take 46 to 95 when I use the Auto Train.

Btw, check gasoline prices where you originate, and in the Sanford area. I've seen differences of 20 cents per gallon over the years.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Turtles06 said:

Thanks for any information and advice!

Certainly not a local expert, but, I have followed this same route in going in a reverse direction from Fort Lauderdale to Sanford in order to travel on the Auto Train.  It's a pleasant drive and I had enough time to visit a well known fruit market in Fort Pierce to get some delicious Florida fruit to take home.  

7 hours ago, Orlando Vic said:

7 hours ago, Cienfuegos said:

Plus 1 on the I-95 suggest

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

Certainly not a local expert, but, I have followed this same route in going in a reverse direction from Fort Lauderdale to Sanford in order to travel on the Auto Train.  It's a pleasant drive and I had enough time to visit a well known fruit market in Fort Pierce to get some delicious Florida fruit to take home.  

Agree with the Rte 46 to I-95 south. This is the route I take out to the coast. Rte 46 is a two lane road and a nice drive through the countryside. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The Fort Pierce Green market is a tradition on Saturday mornings. Wide range of fruit, vegetable, and meat products. Many juice vendors, cooked foods, etc

My wife and I have packed dinner for the Auto Train from vendors at the market. I'm not a big fan of their menu.

The market is about 10-15 minutes East off I-95, Orange Ave exit. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Cienfuegos said:

The Fort Pierce Green market is a tradition on Saturday mornings. Wide range of fruit, vegetable, and meat products. Many juice vendors, cooked foods, etc

My wife and I have packed dinner for the Auto Train from vendors at the market. I'm not a big fan of their menu.

The market is about 10-15 minutes East off I-95, Orange Ave exit. 

There is a commercial fruit/vegetable market on Midway Road, East of the exit off of I-95 if one is not in Fort Pierce on a Saturday.  (I remember that Saturday market having limited operating hours.  May be be wrong, though.)  

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

@Orlando Vic @Cienfuegos @skrufy Having just taken our Auto Train trip, I wanted to close the loop here and thank you all for the recommendation to take SR 46 to I-95.  I’m sure we’d never have taken a local road like 46 but for your advice, and it turned out to be an easy, low traffic, scenic way to get to 95.  We’d intended to take 95 all the way to FLL, but looking ahead at some major slowdowns south, we got off at Jupiter and took the Turnpike from there, which moved well. 

Thanks again, stay safe, and have a happy holiday season! 

• Like 1