COVID on Ovation at the moment

Hoggiestravelbud

7 hours ago, CanAmBrit said:

Onboard the Ovation: Approx. 6pm local time the Captain informed us that the Covid positive passengers were disembarked in Rhodes and were being cared for there. (No info about who was paying for it etc!). We hoped that we could now return to “normal”, that is no masking onboard etc. but that did not happen. We are still following the N95 masking policy indoors and all entertainment is outdoors. Dining is indoor and outdoor depending on the restaurant, tours are still happening and independent travel in Santorini tomorrow is still a go as far as we know now.

Thank you for writing, and hopefully you remain safe.  You need not answer this while (whilst, as Brits say) you are still on holiday, but after you are home, I hope you will post to say whether Trivia was held outdoors, and whether fitness center was open (although working out while masked is not for me).  

8 hours ago, jenidallas said:

If this is true, it’s contrary to the policy Seabourn has been putting out to TAs about how these cases would be handled with refunds/allowances, passenger quarantine coordination, and travel changes.  

I hope that it’s just rumors because it would be disturbing to think that Seabourn would just dump positive passengers at the next port.

Hi Jeni.  My husband spoke today with TA and will post info about what he learned - or more to the point, did not learn.  And regardless of how it’s being handled currently, can’t know if the protocol will change.  As for being dumped, hey, if it’s a nice port with nice hotels, I could handle that.  (I’m a glass half full person and always see the silver lining…). But you know that sometimes we are at nice-so-nice ports 😞  I have to read out travel insurance policy carefully.  I know that generally it says if the passenger cancels, SB has discretion to either keep the money (depending on cancellation date) or apply FCC, and if SB cancels, then full refund.  So if SB removes me due to pos COVID test, is that me cancelling, or SB cancelling?  The lawyer in me says it’s SB cancelling.  But even then, am I entitled to a stay in a 5 star hotel and comparable (biz or 1st class) home??  

Questions, questions, questions.  And answers today may not apply to same questions tomorrow.  

I am a risk taker and would probably chance it all, but my hubby is a bit more conservative.  

Edited by Hobar

All 15 of us were offloaded in Rhodes (8 tested pos, 7 negative,  but were in close contact with a positive)  We were all taken to a Sheraton resort which is nice but are completely quarantined by Greek law Cannot leave the room for ten days. My safe will not work and they say they cannot send anyone into my room to fix it.  The Seabourn Doctor and others had told us that we negatives could go walking. I was even told that I could fly home and leave my wife here NOT SO, even if I would do that.  The answer about would I have done the cruise knowing the possible consequences NO WAY.  Seabournn has promised to take care of the hotel and food cost, we will see. They also promised to have a doctor get us additional meds that are now needed, we will see. They also promised to handle and take care of cancelling our current flights and rebook.  Will keep you posted

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Update The negative tested can now leave their rooms. There was concern for my wife, She is fine, exhibiting no symptoms. As to the offloading. Seabourn fought this as we were securely quarantined on the ship. The Greek officials forced the offloading. This is going to be a long ten days. It is a nice resort but a gilded cage. Fortunately Seabourn is picking up the tab. Seabourn also left a person here for us and I have already had row calls from Seattle assuring me that all will be handled 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

44 minutes ago, braidmacd said:

All 15 of us were offloaded in Rhodes (8 tested pos, 7 negative,  but were in close contact with a positive)...

Thanks for the update.  what was seabourn's procedure to make sure that those who tested positive were not false positives?  was there additional follow-up PCR testing?

1 hour ago, braidmacd said:

All 15 of us were offloaded in Rhodes (8 tested pos, 7 negative,  but were in close contact with a positive)  We were all taken to a Sheraton resort which is nice but are completely quarantined by Greek law Cannot leave the room for ten days. My safe will not work and they say they cannot send anyone into my room to fix it.  The Seabourn Doctor and others had told us that we negatives could go walking. I was even told that I could fly home and leave my wife here NOT SO, even if I would do that.  The answer about would I have done the cruise knowing the possible consequences NO WAY.  Seabournn has promised to take care of the hotel and food cost, we will see. They also promised to have a doctor get us additional meds that are now needed, we will see. They also promised to handle and take care of cancelling our current flights and rebook.  Will keep you posted

Thanks for sharing, hope everyone is well and hotel quarantine is passing quickly. 

Do you think most people caught it on the ship via local transmission or rather individually in one of the ports?  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, braidmacd said:

Update The negative tested can now leave their rooms. There was concern for my wife, She is fine, exhibiting no symptoms. As to the offloading. Seabourn fought this as we were securely quarantined on the ship. The Greek officials forced the offloading. This is going to be a long ten days. It is a nice resort but a gilded cage. Fortunately Seabourn is picking up the tab. Seabourn also left a person here for us and I have already had row calls from Seattle assuring me that all will be handled 

Wishing your wife a continue symptom-free COVID, and thank you for taking the time to post, especially given that you are having to deal with these issues. 

Edited by Hobar
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, mcondition said:

It seems SB handled it pretty well. Greek health authorities imposed disembarkation possibly due to concern that a positive case may start developing heavy symptoms and hospitalization may needed while at sea. 

Yes given the circumstances it appears Seabourn has handled this very well.  Hoping everyone has a quick recovery and safe travels home.

21 hours ago, jenidallas said:

If this is true, it’s contrary to the policy Seabourn has been putting out to TAs about how these cases would be handled with refunds/allowances, passenger quarantine coordination, and travel changes.  

I hope that it’s just rumors because it would be disturbing to think that Seabourn would just dump positive passengers at the next port.

Turns our my information was misinformation.  And that’s why rumors and hearsay are so unreliable, and so I apologize for reposting w/o waiting and checking.  Latest info from passengers taken off is that it was the Greek government that ordered they be removed from the ship and quarantined for 10 days.  BUT SB is paying for hotel and food and rearranging flights home.  Also removed were spouses/traveling companions who tested negative, although they are not in quarantine.  Still rethinking Holiday Cruise.  Even if one could remain on the ship after testing pos, not sure my idea of a vacation is being holed up in a cabin, regardless of which suite it is.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, braidmacd said:

braidmacd,

best wishes for your wife's and other positive passengers safe recovery.

Many of us are curious as to the source of the contagion.  We know you were all vaccinated and initially tested.  Were you, or most of you, together at the same shore excursion?  Were these all separate sources of the virus?  

BTW - I am very glad to hear that SB left a representative at the hotel with the group to assist you during and after the quarantine.  

• Like 1

17 hours ago, braidmacd said:

My husband and I feel your pain.  We can definitely relate as we were in a "gilded cage" in Germany for 14 days!  Hang in there and get well soon!

• Like 2

CanAmBrit,  how are the N95 masks working out for guests and crew? N95s are tight, hot and quite uncomfortable. It’s not like a cloth mask. Perhaps this is just a temporary reaction to the positive tests?

Yes, it is better to be safer but…how did Seabourn go from no mask and no social distancing to N95s?  You have to wonder what the right balance is between safety and guest experience in the current cruising environment. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Sunprince said:

CanAmBrit,  how are the N95 masks working out for guests and crew? N95s are tight, hot and quite uncomfortable. It’s not like a cloth mask. Perhaps this is just a temporary reaction to the positive tests?

Yes, it is better to be safer but…how did Seabourn go from no mask and no social distancing to N95s?  You have to wonder what the right balance is between safety and guest experience in the current cruising environment. 

N95s are the masks we wear whenever in public now.  If you listen to experts, they say it does matter what kind of mask you wear.  They ARE uncomfortable, but  may keep you and others safe.  

Yes. Follow up PCR. With same results. She positive me negative. I was given another antigen a day later to see if I now had COVID which I did not.

we are in different rooms (Pos / Neg). We did not do anything together with the other “captives” except my wife did compliment one of the negs on her blouse in the restaurant(20 secs) on the ship

Seabourn ladies stopped by my room yesterday and dropped off new meds which they refilled and a bottle of scotch. My wife also got meds and gin.I also got another call from Seattle HQ to see what was needed.   She, as a positive test,  was also checked up on by an assigned doctor. On to day three

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, braidmacd said:

Seabourn ladies stopped by my room yesterday and dropped off new meds which they refilled and a bottle of scotch. My wife also got meds and gin.I also got another call from Seattle HQ to see what was needed.   She, as a positive test,  was also checked up on by an assigned doctor. On to day three

Thanks for keeping us posted. Hopefully your wife and other positives become negative soon and all the negative cases stay negative.

I am glad to hear Seabourn are keeping in touch with you as well.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, braidmacd said:

Thanks for all of your updates.  I also send my best wishes that all goes well and you both have no symptoms.  What a shock to your holiday!  I am so sorry this has happened to you and hope that Seabourn continues to support you.

On 10/6/2021 at 8:55 PM, braidmacd said:

This is going to be a long ten days. It is a nice resort but a gilded cage. Fortunately Seabourn is picking up the tab.

Is Seabourn taking care of your flight home after the 10 days as well?  And what happens after the 10 days?  Everyone free to go home, or subject to further quarantine if still testing positive? 

We are on the Ovation as of Saturday and masks are required in indoor areas.  The N95 masks were in our suite upon arrival instead of the nice Seabourn cloth masks.  Most folks are wearing the N95 masks, but you see more and more of others including the Seabourn cloth mask being worn.  I will probably switch to the Seabourn cloth mask at some point as the N95 masks are extremely tight and uncomfortable for my big head.  No mention of the outbreak last week, but the mood on the boat is a little somber.  Not sure if this has to do with the masks or the newness of the crew as there are few members of the crew on board from our cruise in July/August.  We will be tested every 3 days now instead of weekly.  Hopefully measures will go back to the ones we had in July/August at some point.    We have a positive outlook on traveling and will do our best to adjust.  We were at the Colonnade for lunch yesterday upon embarkation and thought of the new N95 as a good diet tool.  🤣  I did not want to put the mask back on to cruise the buffet a 2nd time and therefore saved on a few calories.

Continued well wishes for those directly affected by the outbreak last week.

• Like 2

She is doing as well as expected The Netflix helps Yes if all goes well Seabourn is arranging all transportation.  Do not know how the cost will be broken out. If someone is still positive is a bridge yet to cross.

my main concern is keeping myself clean otherwise this could become a vicious circle. Although if when she is free to go and if I do  test positive I will send her home.

meanwhile both Seattle and the two very helpful ladies left with us contact us daily. On the cruise we did one independent 45 minute taxi tour in Napfilon and one ships tour on Patmos the day before the testing.  What is interesting is that two  of the positives just boarded the ship. They then tested positive less than 48 hours after boarding. 

• Like 1