Can someone help me....I'm technically challenged

cruzin4us

On 10/7/2021 at 1:01 PM, cruzin4us said:

Ha.....I just got the iPhone 13 about a week ago and I'm so beyond lost on how to work it.  I had an iPhone 6 but the battery wouldn't last for more than 1 hour.   So I upgraded 🙂

FYI…If you live near a Apple store you can make an appointment & they will have someone to answer/help with any questions that you may have. 

Tom😀

7 hours ago, trbarton said:

FYI…If you live near a Apple store you can make an appointment & they will have someone to answer/help with any questions that you may have. 

Tom😀

Last year, I found that not to be the case.  My niece was going on our cruise with us and she needed her phone to be able to get messages and phone calls through an app.  The sales person had no idea what she was asking about and only tried to sell her a new iPhone.   The attendant in the onboard internet café had her set up in minutes...

On 10/8/2021 at 12:12 AM, donaldsc said:

Bit late now but for other people reading this, there are lots of place where you could have gotten the battery in your iPhone 6 replaced.  Just remember that the Apple store is not one of them.

DON

There comes a point where it just doesn't pay to replace a battery in a phone that old. As technology changes with iOS the apps will update and won't work properly on older models.  I just replaced my 2013 mac after I did the last update. Turbotax 2020 wouldn't run because I wasn't able to download the latest iOS update.  I'm using an iPhone 7 but I know my days are numbered with that too. Two years ago Apple replaced my battery when they had to replace a faulty modem for free which is the only reason I held on to this phone for so long.

54 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

There comes a point where it just doesn't pay to replace a battery in a phone that old. As technology changes with iOS the apps will update and won't work properly on older models.  I just replaced my 2013 mac after I did the last update. Turbotax 2020 wouldn't run because I wasn't able to download the latest iOS update.  I'm using an iPhone 7 but I know my days are numbered with that too. Two years ago Apple replaced my battery when they had to replace a faulty modem for free which is the only reason I held on to this phone for so long.

You would have thought new companies would have taken a lesson from the planned obsolescence policies of the big three automakers in the '70's and '80's.  🙄 

3 minutes ago, Daniel A said:

You would have thought new companies would have taken a lesson from the planned obsolescence policies of the big three automakers in the '70's and '80's.  🙄 

Like cars, technology products depreciate from the moment they are released. There will always be something newer and better. I'm not one to chase the latest and greatest and that relates to new cruise ships as well.

1 hour ago, Iamcruzin said:

Like cars, technology products depreciate from the moment they are released. There will always be something newer and better. I'm not one to chase the latest and greatest and that relates to new cruise ships as well.

Yeah, I'm sure you're correct.  My objection is that it is already worked in to the product that in a couple of years all you will have is a boat anchor...

• Like 1

I think sometimes when cruise companies bring in new technology they're aiming at attracting a younger generation to cruise the trouble is they dont look at the demographic of the customers they already have. I have a Samsung Galaxy S9 and have a lap top running windows 8 and I'm in my mid fifties my DH who is 60 has an S7 and can barely switch on the laptop and doesn't even have his own email address. I understand from previous posts Princess are going to set up a web based access which I for one will be much happier with. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Iamcruzin said:

I totally agree w you.  However, it appeared as if the OP was satisfied w her old phone and only bought the new one because of battery issues so I presented an alternative for this specific situation.  Now I am not sure if the IPhone 6 uses 3G in which case the OP will have to get a new one since 3G will not be supported in the very near future.  Otherwise if you just use the phone to make and receive calls, an older model might be totally acceptable.

DON

• Like 1

2 hours ago, donaldsc said:

I totally agree w you.  However, it appeared as if the OP was satisfied w her old phone and only bought the new one because of battery issues so I presented an alternative for this specific situation.  Now I am not sure if the IPhone 6 uses 3G in which case the OP will have to get a new one since 3G will not be supported in the very near future.  Otherwise if you just use the phone to make and receive calls, an older model might be totally acceptable.

DON

I had a couple of issues.  One was the battery life, another was I was out of space.  I take lots of pictures but use very few apps.  I had to delete a ton of stuff just in order to do the last update.    If it was just the battery issue, I may have kept the phone....but the lack of storage was almost if not more frustrating.   

2 hours ago, cruzin4us said:

I had a couple of issues.  One was the battery life, another was I was out of space.  I take lots of pictures but use very few apps.  I had to delete a ton of stuff just in order to do the last update.    If it was just the battery issue, I may have kept the phone....but the lack of storage was almost if not more frustrating.   

Sounds like you need to purchase  iCloud storage. I purchase 50GB for 99 cents a month. I backup contacts, photos and Notes to the cloud. It frees up space on your phone. Also photos  and contacts  automatically stored to my Mac at home. I have an unlimited data plan for my phone but it can also be set to transmit only with a WiFi connection.

On 10/8/2021 at 8:58 AM, JF - retired RRT said:

Pre-cruise to get the Elite discount. You can purchase on board, if you don't qualify for the discount.

A guest will also receive the 50% discount and be charged the net cost if ordering internet on board.  However, the base cost is higher, so it makes no sense to wait whether you get the discount or not.  (I realize some folks swimming in OBC prefer to wait and "pay" the higher cost.  I prefer to consume my OBC in other ways).

On 10/8/2021 at 10:19 AM, mustgo said:

Do you still need to call Princess to do this pre-cruise or can you do it on the medallion precruise?  If so, where in the app?

Yes, you can order in the MC App as indicated below.  I just wanted to mention that a Princess mgmt employee told me the MC App was going to charge eligible guests the net cost and there would be no need for the refundable OBC of 50%.  Obviously, that wasn't in the version recently released, but may be a future enhancement (I don't have any clarity on that as yet when I inquired).

On 10/8/2021 at 10:22 AM, JF - retired RRT said:

Definitely works if you call.

Some have posted here that the app has internet purchase available, some say they don't have it.

The app is amazingly frustrating for many.

If you can't find it on the app, call Princess to order.

Definitely, I would call into Princess if not working in the App.  They can add it to your voyage and bill your CC.  Same as ordering other things for sale in the Personalizer. 

Since they are working on implementing a bunch of the MC App functions into the website, perhaps ordering MedallionNet will be included.

On 10/8/2021 at 10:37 AM, cruzin4us said:

It's located under the Ocean Ready Profile on the Medallion App.  If you are a platinum or elite, then you get 50% refunded as OBC when you board.   Click on the MedallionNet to pre-purchase

image.thumb.png.4f47163405e46cfda7f4f7d97703c9fd.png

Just checked it tonight and still charging full rate and not the net 50%, so have to wait until on-board to collect the 50% discount (refundable OBC).

I am not sure where to post my question, but following up with the post above seems to be a good place.

I purchased the Medallion Net package for my cabin mate.  She is also entitled to the 50% discount OBC.  Will she get the OBC or will I see it in my account since it was charged to my card?

Financially, it will all work out.  Just curious.

21 minutes ago, cr8tiv1 said:

I am not sure where to post my question, but following up with the post above seems to be a good place.

I purchased the Medallion Net package for my cabin mate.  She is also entitled to the 50% discount OBC.  Will she get the OBC or will I see it in my account since it was charged to my card?

Financially, it will all work out.  Just curious.

If you purchased it, you will be getting the OBC.   

• Thanks 1

On 10/7/2021 at 3:44 PM, cruzin4us said:

Ok, I've got a new iphone 13 and I've got the Medallion App downloaded and that's all good.  I have a wifi pkg for one device.   I also own a MacBook Pro laptop which I would like to take with me to watch Netflix movies.   I'm rooming with a friend and I'd like to wear earbuds so as not to disturb her with the TV on.   

Being at the age where I wake up at all times of the night, it would be awesome to have this capability.  

I also don't believe I can download the app on my MacBook Pro....I think I need a ipad or smart phone.

Now's where this uncomputer savvy woman needs some help.   Can I connect to the wifi with my Mac if I pay for an additional device and then be able to connect to Netflix?  Also, does the wifi connection work well enough to even watch movies?

Please be gentle with me and pretend you are talking to a 2 year old.  I definitely want to understand this before I haul my Macbook Pro all over the place.

No problem at all just ask any kid in the neighborhood for help. 😁 My granddaughters 9 and 12 help me all the time. 
Tony

• Haha 1