Is this an acceptable outlet to take?

cruzin4us

It's me again, the technically challenged.     Will this adapter work or is this considered a surge protector?   Will it even work in the Princess outlets?   I will need it for a MacBook Pro (3 prong) and an iPhone 13 Max Pro.  Thanks for your help!

24C99802-C563-47AC-9A4F-76DED6B3A253.jpeg

234D9E7C-D4BC-4271-A178-178259D23747.jpeg

It looks like it has a built in surge protector (SurgePro).  If so, it will not be acceptable.  

https://www.amazon.com/BESTTEN-Protector-Charging-Slide-Out-Certified/dp/B01GG5ULO2/ref=asc_df_B01GG5ULO2/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=216539147262&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=1560552439664345819&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9031094&hvtargid=pla-417986007517&psc=1

Surge protection: 300 joule surge suppressor keeps plugged-in devices safe from surge spikes

• Like 1

Ship’s sockets are 3-prong but your “SurgePro” device is not allowed.

Here’s one of several non-surge devices on Amazon.

Cruise Power Strip No Surge Protector with USB Outlets - Ship Approved (Non Surge Protection) Cruise Essentials
by CruiseOn
Learn more: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07BHVKPC3/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_BDSA3415M6Q2XC0DSJEN

Edited by Astro Flyer
  • Like 1

On the Majestic, in your cabin, the lamps on your end tables will have usb ports for charging.

If you still need more....here is one (of several available) with no surge protection.

Only those without surge protection are safe on board.

https://www.amazon.com/Desktop-Outlet-Braided-Extension-Office/dp/B07HCVFH82/ref=sr_1_3?crid=1J2XQJG6T6W6Z&dchild=1&keywords=power+cord+for+cruise+ship&qid=1633809533&sprefix=power+cord+for+cruis%2Caps%2C156&sr=8-3

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Astro Flyer said:

Ship’s sockets are 3-prong but your “SurgePro” device is not allowed.

Here’s one of several non-surge devices on Amazon.

Cruise Power Strip No Surge Protector with USB Outlets - Ship Approved (Non Surge Protection) Cruise Essentials
by CruiseOn
Learn more: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07BHVKPC3/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_BDSA3415M6Q2XC0DSJEN

Awesome, thank you for the link.   Just bought it!     Can you educate me on why a surge protector isn't allowed?   I'm sure I should know this by now, but I don't

Just now, cruzin4us said:

Awesome, thank you for the link.   Just bought it!     Can you educate me on why a surge protector isn't allowed?   I'm sure I should know this by now, but I don't

Shipboard electrical systems are not compatible with surge protected devices. There’s a career chief engineer who posts the technical reasons why but I don’t recall all of them.

You might want to consider a corded version because it’d be more difficult to find a socket to plug in that larger device.

image.jpeg.d8842f630951961798fbcce6f5572563.jpeg

4E7DCCBF-6780-4902-B30D-C357D2676789.jpeg

3 hours ago, Astro Flyer said:

Shipboard electrical systems are not compatible with surge protected devices. There’s a career chief engineer who posts the technical reasons why but I don’t recall all of them.

You might want to consider a corded version because it’d be more difficult to find a socket to plug in that larger device.

image.jpeg.d8842f630951961798fbcce6f5572563.jpeg

4E7DCCBF-6780-4902-B30D-C357D2676789.jpeg

I was able to cancel my order in time and I ordered this one.   thank you for showing the picture of the ship's outlet as well.  That makes perfect sense to me now.   Thanks for helping me out on this!

22 minutes ago, cruzin4us said:

I was able to cancel my order in time and I ordered this one.   thank you for showing the picture of the ship's outlet as well.  That makes perfect sense to me now.   Thanks for helping me out on this!

You’re welcome! 😊

Hopefully it’ll be as useful to you as it has been to me.

4 hours ago, cruzin4us said:

It's me again, the technically challenged.     Will this adapter work or is this considered a surge protector?   Will it even work in the Princess outlets?   I will need it for a MacBook Pro (3 prong) and an iPhone 13 Max Pro.  Thanks for your help!

Absolutely NOT!!!

By the way there are USB charging sockets in the base of the bed side lamps.

1 hour ago, neverbeenhere said:

What is everyone taking the dominates the plugs? 

Between the two of us we have 2 iphones, 1 MacBook Pro Laptop, iPad and 1 Apple Watch.   Even though the Majestic may have enough outlets/plugs, I often cruise on ships (or at least I used to) that are definitely lacking in this department.   They may have one plug next to the desk, but I like to look at my phone/laptop while I'm laying in bed.  I'd rather have too many plugs than not enough. 🙂

6 hours ago, cruzin4us said:

Here’s what I recently bough from Amazon. Note it says Non Surge protector. It’s got plenty of plugs. 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/buyagain/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_bia?ie=UTF8&ats=eyJjdXN0b21lcklkIjoiQTNWSVpSQks0RVYxNU0iLCJleHBsaWNpdENhbmRpZGF0ZXMiOiJCMDdW MzJQSjU5In0%3D

Power Strip with USB C, 3 Outlets 4 USB Ports (22.5W/4.5A) Desktop Charging Station, Flat Plug, 5ft Braided Extension Cord, Non Surge Protector for Travel, Cruise Ship, ETL Listed

Another suggestion that I do is to take a power adapter so you can make use of the European plug. 

Hopefully you can return what you have. 

Let us know what you decide. 

Tom😀

image.png

6 hours ago, cruzin4us said:

See https://www.dco.uscg.mil/Portals/9/DCO Documents/5p/CG-5PC/INV/Alerts/03-13b (second version).pdf?ver=2017-07-25-143030-170 for an explanation of why surge protectors are a problem on a ship.

2 hours ago, neverbeenhere said:

What is everyone taking the dominates the plugs? 

For us it’s 2 iPhones, 2 iPads and 2 Apple Watches, a charger for camera batteries and a nightlight.  For long cruises, we also have a charger for our electric toothbrushes.

Oh, I almost forgot - and a fan for me🤣 Please don’t judge!!  Lol!!

16 hours ago, brisalta said:

Well, that was an education (even though 75% went over my head).   Thank you for sharing that article.