Mardi Gras Not for Us

dbrucern

59 minutes ago, AHS123 said:

This is why we may sail Mardi Gras class once and go back to the class of ships Carnival has that offer the port hole PT and 1A categories. We prefer these as they have the sofa couch just like the higher priced balconies. 

2220 Panorama.jpg

Those are our favorite as well - natural light when you want it, complete darkness when you don't, and a couch?  At an inside price?  Sign me up!  

• Like 1

We sailed Sept 4th to September 11th and had a great time. Both my husband and I agree that it is going to be very crowded at full capacity.  Even at 70% capacity the theaters, restaurants and pools felt crowded. 

1 hour ago, AHS123 said:

This is why we may sail Mardi Gras class once and go back to the class of ships Carnival has that offer the port hole PT and 1A categories. We prefer these as they have the sofa couch just like the higher priced balconies. 

2220 Panorama.jpg

Vista sept 2021, looked different bed arrangement than I had previously.

20210911_134623.jpg

20210911_134645.jpg

1 hour ago, firefly333 said:

Vista sept 2021, looked different bed arrangement than I had previously.

The photo I posted is a PT which has two twins that convert to a queen and the couch. Your photos are of a 1A which has non-converting beds which has one twin bed and one sofa couch for a person to sleep on. Both the PT and 1A only allow two persons max in the cabin due to space in the lifeboats. On Vista Deck 2, for example, cabins 2220 and 2221 are PTs with converting beds and 2216 and 2217 are 1A's with non-converting beds. 

Here is a 1A cabin 2212 on Panorama:

Edited by AHS123

6 hours ago, jetsfan58 said:

The old saying is "If you are going to stay in your cabin why Cruise"? Maybe its just me but I really don't cre about the Cabin configurations as long as I am Cruising!!!

No I don't spend a lot of time in my cabin but when I am paying almost $4000.00 for a cruise I want  a little room to move around in.  I have seen some pictures of the Havanan Cabana balcony cabins and was thinking they looked small.  I booked this cruise because cruising every Carnival ship is on my bucket list but I do not care for the bigger ships.  I will be okay because I love cruising but I would like a bigger cabin and don't want a suite for just the two of us.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, toby #1 said:

No I don't spend a lot of time in my cabin but when I am paying almost $4000.00 for a cruise I want  a little room to move around in.  I have seen some pictures of the Havanan Cabana balcony cabins and was thinking they looked small.  I booked this cruise because cruising every Carnival ship is on my bucket list but I do not care for the bigger ships.  I will be okay because I love cruising but I would like a bigger cabin and don't want a suite for just the two of us.

I hope you didn't book the Havana on Mardi Gras? The Havana area is much better on the Vista class ships.

8 hours ago, jetsfan58 said:

Sounds like an absolutely  "Normal" Carnival Cruise experience. My neighbors just returned and booked another Cruise for next month on this ship. Cruising beats a normal land day antime! 

No it doesn't.it used to.

23 hours ago, kwokpot said:

It's unfortunate that you didn't have the best vacation. The things you listed seem more to do with the guests and less about the ship itself.  I think it would be helpful for others if you can elaborate what about the Mardi Gras itself you didn't like versus other Carnival ships it would help people understand why you feel ambivalent about the ship.  

Actually we had a great vacation and love Carnival, it may just be the size of the ship. I guess we will find out if that is it when we return in January when there will be even more guests

• Like 2

I think we sailed at 73% last week. We had a cove balcony and there was a max of 6 inches between the bed and the balcony door and window. I really didn't like the tiny bedside shelves. Too small to be of much use and when I dropped something I had to be a gymnast to retrieve it. We had a nice time, and we're booked again next year, but I like the Dream class or smaller better. 

• Like 2

On 10/10/2021 at 8:45 AM, Colorado Beach Bum said:

Our bed was closest to closet/bat and was difficult to navigate around.

Totally agree - we had this layout and more than once I either hit my shin on the bed, or caught my shoulder on the TV, passing through to go out on our balcony (and I'm not a very big person).

Yea, when I booked the Mardi Gras I thought the regular interior cabin would be too small for us, so I booked the premium interior that also has the couch. This will be our first ever interior, so we will see how it goes. LOL!!!

• Like 2

We were on the Mardi Gras 9/25-10/2 and the balcony cabin is MUCH smaller. I can live with that, my biggest complaint, and I mean BIGGEST (I'm still complaining over a week later!) is how tiny the bathroom is now. I love the new shower design and glass door, but the bathroom is easily half the size of any other balcony cabin I've ever had. I don't see how very big people can use it at all.

• Like 2

I usually cruise in a balcony but decided to do a B2B at the very last minute, so had to change cabins.  I was trying to go budget so decided on an interior.  This is 10345, just a regular interior, sleeps up to 4.  It was horrid.  As you can see, the bunk beds are not recessed and hang out over the other beds.  That is a hard metal frame there, and if you are not careful sitting up, you will knock yourself out on that corner that sticks out.  Such a ridiculous design!  I had to constantly be aware when I woke up to roll over and out from under the frame and don't just sit straight up.  And the room is just very tiny, along with the tiny bathroom.  I honestly do not see how 4 people could legit stay there.  I initially had a king setup, but asked the cabin steward to switch to twins just so I could get my suitcase off the floor and get a bit more space.  I do like chilling in my cabin and I was starting to feel a bit claustrophobic lol.  Back to my balconies.  :)  

IMG_0751.JPG

IMG_0757.JPG

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, cruisin*tigger said:

I usually cruise in a balcony but decided to do a B2B at the very last minute, so had to change cabins.  I was trying to go budget so decided on an interior.  This is 10345, just a regular interior, sleeps up to 4.  It was horrid.  As you can see, the bunk beds are not recessed and hang out over the other beds.  That is a hard metal frame there, and if you are not careful sitting up, you will knock yourself out on that corner that sticks out.  Such a ridiculous design!  I had to constantly be aware when I woke up to roll over and out from under the frame and don't just sit straight up.  And the room is just very tiny, along with the tiny bathroom.  I honestly do not see how 4 people could legit stay there.  I initially had a king setup, but asked the cabin steward to switch to twins just so I could get my suitcase off the floor and get a bit more space.  I do like chilling in my cabin and I was starting to feel a bit claustrophobic lol.  Back to my balconies.  :)  

IMG_0751.JPG

IMG_0757.JPG

What a huge step backwards. All the quads on conquest class the uppers are recessed into the ceiling and not in your way. Add one more thing I dont like about the cabins. 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, cruisin*tigger said:

I initially had a king setup, but asked the cabin steward to switch to twins just so I could get my suitcase off the floor and get a bit more space.

Sounds like your bag was too big to fit under the beds?

50 minutes ago, cruisin*tigger said:

Such a ridiculous design! 

Agreed.  I paid to upgrade to a balcony with this design on the ecstasy.  When I walked in the cabin I was furious at myself for not paying attention. There wasn’t even a couch in the cabin. 

Since I only travel with DH or a friend, I look to see how many are allowed in the room and move to another if there are more than 2 passengers allowed.  

1 hour ago, cruisin*tigger said:

I usually cruise in a balcony but decided to do a B2B at the very last minute, so had to change cabins.  I was trying to go budget so decided on an interior.  This is 10345, just a regular interior, sleeps up to 4.  It was horrid.  As you can see, the bunk beds are not recessed and hang out over the other beds.  That is a hard metal frame there, and if you are not careful sitting up, you will knock yourself out on that corner that sticks out.  Such a ridiculous design!  I had to constantly be aware when I woke up to roll over and out from under the frame and don't just sit straight up.  And the room is just very tiny, along with the tiny bathroom.  I honestly do not see how 4 people could legit stay there.  I initially had a king setup, but asked the cabin steward to switch to twins just so I could get my suitcase off the floor and get a bit more space.  I do like chilling in my cabin and I was starting to feel a bit claustrophobic lol.  Back to my balconies.  🙂

IMG_0751.JPG

IMG_0757.JPG

Thanks for posting the two room set ups.  My mom and I had room 10368 and my PVP said the MG interiors were smaller than other Carnival ships so I requested two twins.  Glad I did especially after seeing the comparison pics!  I thought the door was difficult as well when I was trying to set our room service tray out in the hall after breakfast.  Where I noticed crowds was at the various specialty bars (Alchemy, Brass Magnolia, Fortune Teller) which was probably due to a higher number of Cheers patrons.  Serenity was our chill spot and I could always find a shady spot for us.

Overall, MG has a lot of bells and whistles and it will be interesting to see how it runs at full capacity.

My next cruise is on Sunshine on Jan 13, 2022, the first one out of Charleston. Let's see how that goes!

I usually cruise in a balcony but decided to do a B2B at the very last minute, so had to change cabins.  I was trying to go budget so decided on an interior.  This is 10345, just a regular interior, sleeps up to 4.  It was horrid.  As you can see, the bunk beds are not recessed and hang out over the other beds.  That is a hard metal frame there, and if you are not careful sitting up, you will knock yourself out on that corner that sticks out.  Such a ridiculous design!  I had to constantly be aware when I woke up to roll over and out from under the frame and don't just sit straight up.  And the room is just very tiny, along with the tiny bathroom.  I honestly do not see how 4 people could legit stay there.  I initially had a king setup, but asked the cabin steward to switch to twins just so I could get my suitcase off the floor and get a bit more space.  I do like chilling in my cabin and I was starting to feel a bit claustrophobic lol.  Back to my balconies.  🙂

IMG_0751.JPG

IMG_0757.JPG

Those are called head bangers and for a very good reason. No way, no how.

On 10/10/2021 at 9:13 AM, firefly333 said:

I think it shows carnival is going a different way than rcl and ncl.

Ncl new prima again has studios where solos can meet and pay less for a smaller cabin.

Rcl has solo cabins not much discussed and not just insides. Newer ships have solo balconys now. And they have a loyalty level you can earn by extra bookings to get a solo discount... on any category.

Carnival really low prices are on 1A which mardi gras did away with. No solo areas or cabins. No solo discounts on this ship. They choose to go toward more in the same cabin for these ships built pre covid. Carnival has said to solos we dont want your business.

As far as essiesmom comment about door width. Rcl has bigger hc cabins. They embrace hc folks. Carnival has the same size cabins for hc and regular. 

Add in this unfair practice of targeted pricing only a few special get for no reason, not because they earned the perk. .. is it any wonder carnival has to about give away cabins to fill? I know carnival couldnt have seen covid coming but right now it's not helping. 

A solo area like ncl would have been awesome.

Total Agree about Solo cabins,Been cruising Solo since the Mid 90's........

• Like 1

I usually cruise in a balcony but decided to do a B2B at the very last minute, so had to change cabins.  I was trying to go budget so decided on an interior.  This is 10345, just a regular interior, sleeps up to 4.  

Right next door to your cabin is 10349 which sleeps 2. So close. Thanks for a valuable lesson. We won't be booking this category with beds for 4.

27 minutes ago, mpdog42 said:

Total Agree about Solo cabins,Been cruising Solo since the Mid 90's........

BRAVO!!  Finally someone who can see my pt that other lines are catering to solos but carnival less and less. Now getting rid of 1As on mardi gras class that used to be a solo cabin with no supplement. Then 50% and now usually double. 

2 hours ago, firefly333 said:

What a huge step backwards. All the quads on conquest class the uppers are recessed into the ceiling and not in your way. Add one more thing I dont like about the cabins. 

Absolutely agree.  That's a recipe for claustrophobia.  I mean, I can handle a regular interior, but that's more like...bordering on an MRI.

• Like 1

There is a very nice detailed and thorough video, (on YouTube) that talks about every single cabin and pros and cons of each. I would recommend any and everyone planning to cruise on Mardi Gras to watch this video PRIOR to booking and making a cabin selection. The video owner even makes a point to list, what cabins to book and not book and to book with caution. Its done very well and worth the time, so you know exactly what you're getting and not setting yourself up for disappointment. 

This is a NEW ship with new a layout and cannot be compared with any of the other classes of Carnival ships. Pros and Cons with ALL new ships. Always going to be things that people like or dislike, that's a fact. Can not and will not be able to please everybody. 

The title of the video is, Carnival Mardi Gras, Most Comprehensive Cabin Tour. Watch before you book!

• Like 1