How to Get a Third Dose in Ontario

K_e_short

22 hours ago, ladysail2 said:

I will look into it, but seem to doubt that it would be available to me.  I’m just looking at all my options.  I’ll check with Shopper Drug Mart….but need a plan B in case they say No Way.  I’m not a highly positive person and would love to hear from people who got the third shot booster and embarked without so much as a second glance.  That would really encourage me to go that route.  Like you say, lots of chatter about these third shot/booster shots but no definitive ‘rule’ like the other rules they’ve made and enforce.  I hope you let us know how it works for you! I sure hope it does! 

Celebrity specifically addresses 3rd doses / booster shots in their Healthy Sail FAQ's.  There is no grey area.  They are accepting AZ/mRNA with a 3rd shot of the same mRNA

And since the cruise lines are following the guidelines of the silly CDC I would image this is what is being accepted elsewhere.

• Like 2

On 10/11/2021 at 11:11 AM, K_e_short said:

So for those that pay attention to my ranting and rambling (I hope it isn't a lot of you), I have Astra Zeneca and Pfizer as my 1st and 2nd doses.

We all know that means that no matter how many times we re read the rules, contact the CDC, quote research studies, etc. it means no cruising out of the U.S.

I had tried to get a 3rd shot in Montreal as others on here had been successful. I was not successful due to either not having actual proof of travel, staff cracking down on Ontarians getting a 3rd dose, or simply bad luck.

I decided to try something and it worked.

I made an appointment at my local Shoppers Drug Mart for my 2nd Pfizer dose.

I received my 2nd Pfizer dose.

I received an email confirmation from the Ministry of Health with directions on how to download my vaccine proof.

The document says 3rd dose. When I log into the official Ontario Health website I now have 3 vaccine documents.

Will that work for anyone else? I have no idea. I was very much convinced that the moment they put in my health card number they will see two doses and say no. 

I am relieved and happy and excited that I can go back to normal.

I believe K_e_short got very lucky and frankly I would steer well away from this SDM if they  are wiiling to give another dose of a vaccine and not check.  Pretty dangerous if someone had just received a dose yesterday, wanted the second immediately and were given it today .  Could make someone very sick.

I tried at our local SDM and they checked and saw a first dose of AZ.  So a third dose of Moderna was a no go.  I was desperate enough to try it even though I knew it was very unlikely.  

Interestingly, the young lady in front of me was from China with two doses of whatever vaccine China was using and considered fully vaxed in China but not here.  She explained that to the pharmacist and said Ontario told here she needed another vaccine and she was able to get Moderna.

And to be clear what my point is  If she was considered fully vaxed in China that should of been good enough for Ontario/Canada.  The fact that we did not but Ontario allowed her to get an mRNA shot is what should happen and did . And if Ontario can do that they can certainly allow those with  AZ/mRNA to get a third dose.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, truckswain said:

I believe K_e_short got very lucky and frankly I would steer well away from this SDM if they  are wiiling to give another dose of a vaccine and not check.  Pretty dangerous if someone had just received a dose yesterday, wanted the second immediately and were given it today .  Could make someone very sick.

And to be clear what my point is  If she was considered fully vaxed in China that should of been good enough for Ontario/Canada.  The fact that we did not but Ontario allowed her to get an mRNA shot is what should happen and did . And if Ontario can do that they can certainly allow those with  AZ/mRNA to get a third dose.

IMHO..there’s alot of ***** going on with the vaccine situation.  Things do seem to be looking more positive as more countries and more people are losing business and jobs due to the CDC rules.  I really hope the CDC looks at the science of the protection of the AZ mix, and perhaps look at the statistics of healthy people who have the vaccine mix.

I talked to my Dr re: getting third and fourth vaccine shots, and if spaced apart, it doesn’t pose a risk. I was accidentally twice dosed with the Hep A vaccine, and no problem..it was a pharmacy error. 

I’m glad to hear of Celebrity’s decision..I must go read it.  

• Like 1

So for those that pay attention to my ranting and rambling (I hope it isn't a lot of you), I have Astra Zeneca and Pfizer as my 1st and 2nd doses.

We all know that means that no matter how many times we re read the rules, contact the CDC, quote research studies, etc. it means no cruising out of the U.S.

I had tried to get a 3rd shot in Montreal as others on here had been successful. I was not successful due to either not having actual proof of travel, staff cracking down on Ontarians getting a 3rd dose, or simply bad luck.

I received an email confirmation from the Ministry of Health with directions on how to download my vaccine proof.

The document says 3rd dose. When I log into the official Ontario Health website I now have 3 vaccine documents.

Will that work for anyone else? I have no idea. I was very much convinced that the moment they put in my health card number they will see two doses and say no. 

So did you make an appointment online?  or just walked in?  or called?  (may I ask which Shoppers it was?)....sounds like it was easy peasy while others are having a very hard time!

1 hour ago, Froufie said:

So did you make an appointment online?  or just walked in?  or called?  (may I ask which Shoppers it was?)....sounds like it was easy peasy while others are having a very hard time!

It was the Shoppers at the Signature Centre in Kanata.

1 - I looked online to see which stores had Pfizer

2 - I walked in on Friday and made an appointment for the Monday

3 - I filled out a form with my health card info

4 - They put in the info into the system

5 - I got an email like I did for my 1st/2nd shots but instead of a pdf it had a link to log into the system to download the watermarked form.

• Like 2

With the announcement that the land border is opening in November, and possibly the US changing its thinking on AZ and mixed vaccines, my husband will wait before he goes to get a third shot.  It has been reported that the US might accept any WHO approved vaccines.  Hopefully this is the decision that is made 🤞

2 hours ago, nissach said:

With the announcement that the land border is opening in November, and possibly the US changing its thinking on AZ and mixed vaccines, my husband will wait before he goes to get a third shot.  It has been reported that the US might accept any WHO approved vaccines.  Hopefully this is the decision that is made 🤞

See UPDATE at the top of https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/travelers/from-other-countries.html

20 hours ago, K_e_short said:

It was the Shoppers at the Signature Centre in Kanata.

1 - I looked online to see which stores had Pfizer

2 - I walked in on Friday and made an appointment for the Monday

3 - I filled out a form with my health card info

4 - They put in the info into the system

5 - I got an email like I did for my 1st/2nd shots but instead of a pdf it had a link to log into the system to download the watermarked form.

Thanks so much for this info - in regard to step 3 - did you do this right before the shot (on Monday) or when making the appointment (Friday) - was there any questioning on previous vaccinations by anyone at the pharmacy?  I see what you mean as I did check the SDM website and there is an option to see which pharmacy carries which vaccine.  While we live in Nepean no problem getting to Kanata if we have to 🙂

2 minutes ago, Froufie said:

Thanks so much for this info - in regard to step 3 - did you do this right before the shot (on Monday) or when making the appointment (Friday) - was there any questioning on previous vaccinations by anyone at the pharmacy?  I see what you mean as I did check the SDM website and there is an option to see which pharmacy carries which vaccine.  While we live in Nepean no problem getting to Kanata if we have to 🙂

I filled out the form on Monday when I arrived to do my shot.

I just said "I am here for my 2nd Pfizer dose." I did not mention it was my 3rd. I did not say I had AZ. I simply said "I need a 2nd PFizer shot."

To also add when I made my appointment I said I needed Pfizer so they made sure to give me a Pfizer dose.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, K_e_short said:

I filled out the form on Monday when I arrived to do my shot.

I just said "I am here for my 2nd Pfizer dose." I did not mention it was my 3rd. I did not say I had AZ. I simply said "I need a 2nd PFizer shot."

To also add when I made my appointment I said I needed Pfizer so they made sure to give me a Pfizer dose.

Thanks again - will see what we find out!

2 minutes ago, Froufie said:

Unfortunately still no mention/approval of mixed AZ/MNRA vaccines 😞

https://covid19.trackvaccines.org/agency/who/

I think people need to understand that when it says approved by WHO and FDA etc it means following the recommendations of the vaccine company.

AZ did not suggest giving a Pfizer/Moderna as a section dose.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, K_e_short said:

I think people need to understand that when it says approved by WHO and FDA etc it means following the recommendations of the vaccine company.

AZ did not suggest giving a Pfizer/Moderna as a section dose.

And both the FDA/WHO approvals and the company recommendations are based on extensive clinical trials. To date, there have been a number of small studies but no large scale clinical trials examining these viral vector/mRNA mixes.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Fouremco said:

And both the FDA/WHO approvals and the company recommendations are based on extensive clinical trials. To date, there have been a number of small studies but no large scale clinical trials examining these viral vector/mRNA mixes.

While there may not be large scale clinical trials, WHO believes there is sufficient data to judge the effectiveness and safety of mixed dose AZ mRNA vaccinations. See ~@1:11 in video https://www.who.int/emergencies/diseases/novel-coronavirus-2019/media-resources/science-in-5/episode-54---covid-19-mixed-and-fractional-vaccine-doses.

10 minutes ago, broberts said:

While there may not be large scale clinical trials, WHO believes there is sufficient data to judge the effectiveness and safety of mixed dose AZ mRNA vaccinations. See ~@1:11 in video https://www.who.int/emergencies/diseases/novel-coronavirus-2019/media-resources/science-in-5/episode-54---covid-19-mixed-and-fractional-vaccine-doses.

I fully agree with the WHO, but their ongoing failure to make an emergency use approval based on their belief no doubt contributes to the CDC's hesitancy.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

I fully agree with the WHO, but their ongoing failure to make an emergency use approval based on their belief no doubt contributes to the CDC's hesitancy.

It is a mystery. I do wonder how much pressure is being applied by commercial interests.

• Like 1

Is the third dose normally the full dose?