Covid Test Covered by Insurance?

Cruzinram

It depends on your insurance.    I have Kaiser Senior Advantage as my Medicare Insurance.   Currently they have an agreement with the drugstores and big box companies to give shots and tests.

I had a rapid test done at a lab for $125 and Kaiser told me to submit a claim and it would be reimbursed.    I would suggest you call your insurance company and ask them. 

• Thanks 1

While I didn't have to pay for them out of pocket, my covid tests weren't "free."   My Medicare claims show they paid $64.08 for each of my three tests at CVS.  Last time I was IN the CVS on 9-28, there were way too many unmasked people with a number of them sneezing and coughing.  Decided then and there, that was my last time.  I'm opting for the proctored BinaxNow home test this Saturday. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, goofysmom99 said:

While I didn't have to pay for them out of pocket, my covid tests weren't "free."   My Medicare claims show they paid $64.08 for each of my three tests at CVS.  Last time I was IN the CVS on 9-28, there were way too many unmasked people with a number of them sneezing and coughing.  Decided then and there, that was my last time.  I'm opting for the proctored BinaxNow home test this Saturday. 

So Medicare paid for all three test and you were never billed for anything at a later date. Medicare site said "lab test were covered". The antigen test is not sent to the lab. So guess I will just take my chances. I have heard people who are on Medicare are getting billed at a later date.

41 minutes ago, goofysmom99 said:

Agree, the hassle is not worth it, the proctored home test is so easy. 

4 minutes ago, Cruzinram said:

So Medicare paid for all three test and you were never billed for anything at a later date. Medicare site said "lab test were covered". The antigen test is not sent to the lab. So guess I will just take my chances. I have heard people who are on Medicare are getting billed at a later date.

I won't be billed.  They should check their claims.  My Medicare claim (copied), which is the same for all three, says:

Medicare-approved amount$64.08
Medicare paid         $64.08
You may be billed $0.00
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Phxazzcruisers said:

I have had a covid test from Walgreens several times now for cruising and airline flights.  I have never been billed, nor have I ever seen EOB's from insurance or Medicare.  I believe they are free.

I stand corrected.  I should have said costs were totally covered.......  

2 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

It depends on your insurance.    I have Kaiser Senior Advantage as my Medicare Insurance.   Currently they have an agreement with the drugstores and big box companies to give shots and tests.

I had a rapid test done at a lab for $125 and Kaiser told me to submit a claim and it would be reimbursed.    I would suggest you call your insurance company and ask them. 

I agree, for the rapid tests it depends on your insurance.   

My husband and I have two different Medicare Advantage companies.   I asked both companies if the tests were covered after we had the rapid testing done in August and his insurance (Providence) said it was covered and to submit the bill but mine (Blue Cross) said it wasn't covered.   So far we haven't actually been reimbursed by Providence (but the request was just submitted last week).

We have rapid tests scheduled again for our November cruise so hopefully at least his will be reimbursed.  

If your insurance does not cover the rapid testing and you have several different facilities in your town where you can get the test, check the pricing at each because it varies between what company is doing the testing.

When we had our rapid testing done in August, the cost was $99pp.   For our November cruise (at the same place), it now costs $129pp.    

6 hours ago, Cruzinram said:

Has anyone who is covered by Medicare gotten their pre-cruise from a Walgreens, CVS, or Urgent Care Facility? If so, did Medicare cover the cost? Was Medicare accepted and was a bill received from Medicare at a later date?

Have you checked with CVS or Walgreens on what they accept, how they bill and/or if they even do bill?  For example, I called them to schedule my flu shot, I asked about insurance and to see if I could get a booster, answer to each was yes, show us your insurance card and all set.  Went in and was exactly as they stated to me.  Kind of think it be best to do something like that then rely on the myriad experiences of CC folks all over the country.

• Thanks 1