PCR test replaced by LFT

Malcolm142

The UK Government has just announced that the expensive PCR test is to be replaced by the cheaper LFT test from 24th October. 

Test kits will be available from 22nd.

The test is self administered and take a picture of the results and send it by email to Government somewhere, not sure where  !  BBC news has more info.

This will make it easier and cheaper for all of us on future cruises. 

47 minutes ago, zap99 said:

Absolutely, but our PCR tests via TUI when we get home are £20 a pop. I can't see them being much cheaper than that, but yes, common sense.

Alright mate,don't rub it in.We are driving back on the 20th and arrive home on the 23rd,gutted.You have to put the order number on the PLF within 48 hrs of arrival,I don't know if I could still do that as the 24th is within day 2.Watching the news on the telly with baited breath.

8 hours ago, Malcolm142 said:

The UK Government has just announced that the expensive PCR test is to be replaced by the cheaper LFT test from 24th October. 

Test kits will be available from 22nd.

The test is self administered and take a picture of the results and send it by email to Government somewhere, not sure where  !  BBC news has more info.

This will make it easier and cheaper for all of us on future cruises. 

Thanks for saying that the LFT tests are available from 22nd.  I had started looking and couldn't find one.  Our cruise is 31st October.  You have saved me trawling through unnecessarily.

1 hour ago, brian1 said:

Alright mate,don't rub it in.We are driving back on the 20th and arrive home on the 23rd,gutted.You have to put the order number on the PLF within 48 hrs of arrival,I don't know if I could still do that as the 24th is within day 2.Watching the news on the telly with baited breath.

Hope it works out for you, whichever ' home ' you are going to.🤣

• Thanks 1

Can I ask, if the tests are available to order from the 22nd, does that mean we can't do the PLF until the 22nd? It seems not much time when our cruise leaves the 23rd.

I am concerned that the IT might not hold out if there are hundreds of thousands of test being ordered and PLFs being entered on the same day.

Travellers will be able to order their lateral flow tests from 22 October, when a list of approved providers will be published on the gov.uk website.

Edited by Bgees
adding quote

9 minutes ago, Bgees said:

Can I ask, if the tests are available to order from the 22nd, does that mean we can't do the PLF until the 22nd? It seems not much time when our cruise leaves the 23rd.

I am concerned that the IT might not hold out if there are hundreds of thousands of test being ordered and PLFs being entered on the same day.

Travellers will be able to order their lateral flow tests from 22 October, when a list of approved providers will be published on the gov.uk website.

You can do the PLF right up until the day you arrive back, so you'll have plenty of time. You'll need the covid test order number to complete the PLF, so you won't be able to do it until they're available. 

19 minutes ago, Bgees said:

Do you need a UK PLF to board your cruise,I thought it had to be filled in within 48hrs of returning to UK.As long as the test kit is thru the letterbox when you get home it should be OK.Or am I missing something here about cruise policy.

Trouble is the government are trumpeting that the new LFT test will save families a fortune if going on holiday. Problem is the government approved companies will not be released until 22nd Oct and if you are going away on 24th impossible task to purchase LFT test and get it delivered to fill in PLF for your holiday on 24th. Another ***** up by the government and leave everything until the last minute.

4 minutes ago, brian1 said:

Do you need a UK PLF to board your cruise,I thought it had to be filled in within 48hrs of returning to UK.As long as the test kit is thru the letterbox when you get home it should be OK.Or am I missing something here about cruise policy.

No you need a PLF filled in 48hrs before start of cruise because you need code from the LFT test that you are taking on day 2 of your arrival home to put onto PLF. This is checked at the port before embarking your cruise.

9 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

No you need a PLF filled in 48hrs before start of cruise because you need code from the LFT test that you are taking on day 2 of your arrival home to put onto PLF. This is checked at the port before embarking your cruise.

Seems all topsy turvy to me.You only need a UK PLF when returning to UK.Where is this cruise going?So far in the last 4 weeks and next week we will have filled 2 EU PLFs and 2 UK PLFs so have experience of the "normal" procedure,lol.Plus 2 LFT in Calais at 25euro each,2LFT in Italy to return to UK by air at 15euro each,2 day 2 PCR tests at 43 quid each,and 2 LFT AT 29 quid each to fly back to Italy and whatever it's going to cost when we arrive on Eurotunnel on the 23rd,the UK ones all being diy,nice earner.

48 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

So we can only order the PCR tests for the plf to ensure that we can get on board? It doesn't make sense if the gov says that this is ready for the half term holidays. Surely this would be the same for any holiday that involves transport abroad. How can anyone use a lft for their half term holidays then?

Ah, I see the gov website says that you can complete the LFT in the 48 hrs before travelling so it will be possible to complete the form on the 22nd and then present this on the 23rd. Some worries about websites crashing though!

If you’re travelling on a cruise that lasts 19 days or less, submit the form in the 48 hours before boarding. If your cruise is longer, you can submit the form while travelling.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, brian1 said:

Seems all topsy turvy to me.You only need a UK PLF when returning to UK.Where is this cruise going?So far in the last 4 weeks and next week we will have filled 2 EU PLFs and 2 UK PLFs so have experience of the "normal" procedure,lol.Plus 2 LFT in Calais at 25euro each,2LFT in Italy to return to UK by air at 15euro each,2 day 2 PCR tests at 43 quid each,and 2 LFT AT 29 quid each to fly back to Italy and whatever it's going to cost when we arrive on Eurotunnel on the 23rd,the UK ones all being diy,nice earner.

You have a LFT test provided at Southampton free of charge and then some countries you need LFT test to get off which will be done onboard  at cost if you stay onboard then it obviously no cost. When you get back to England you have to have a Day 2 LFT test  which you have to purchase before you leave so that the reference number on it can be put on your PLF which you have to have to board the ship. The following statement is from government website which makes it clearer-If you’re travelling on a cruise that lasts 19 days or less, submit the form in the 48 hours before boarding. If your cruise is longer, you can submit the form while travelling.

1 hour ago, Bgees said:

So we can only order the PCR tests for the plf to ensure that we can get on board? It doesn't make sense if the gov says that this is ready for the half term holidays. Surely this would be the same for any holiday that involves transport abroad. How can anyone use a lft for their half term holidays then?

Depending when you get onboard and when your cruise returns you will be able to purchase LFT which will replace PCR and will be cheaper.

We didn’t order a test before we cruised. I boarded Britannia on 9th and was waiting to see if it changed to lft before we get back on 22nd. P&O don’t require you to have it ordered before letting you board. I was tempted to wait until early hours of 22nd to order lft, but daren’t risk it, so will fill out plf and order pcr some time in the next couple of days, so our tests will be waiting for us when we get home

39 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

You have a LFT test provided at Southampton free of charge and then some countries you need LFT test to get off which will be done onboard  at cost if you stay onboard then it obviously no cost. When you get back to England you have to have a Day 2 LFT test  which you have to purchase before you leave so that the reference number on it can be put on your PLF which you have to have to board the ship. The following statement is from government website which makes it clearer-If you’re travelling on a cruise that lasts 19 days or less, submit the form in the 48 hours before boarding. If your cruise is longer, you can submit the form while travelling.

Cheers,obviously cruises are the exception to the rule.In my case we are not allowed to fill in the PLF until within 48hrs of arriving.That's where my confusion was lying.Thanks for info.Brian.

59 minutes ago, Tracyjj0 said:

We didn’t order a test before we cruised. I boarded Britannia on 9th and was waiting to see if it changed to lft before we get back on 22nd. P&O don’t require you to have it ordered before letting you board. I was tempted to wait until early hours of 22nd to order lft, but daren’t risk it, so will fill out plf and order pcr some time in the next couple of days, so our tests will be waiting for us when we get home

The new rules mentioned late last night that the new tests can be used for arrivals from 24th Oct, so arrivals before that will need a PCR test anyway. 

It is only buying the tests that can reportedly be possible from the 22nd, when the Government say they will publish their in list of suppliers.  That of course assumes the list is published that day, though I for one will not be holding my breath waiting for the Gov to publish that list.

Edited by tring

We are off cruising next Friday (22nd). Ordered our PCR tests today, and completed out PLFs. Stored on our phones and a hard copy as well. 

All done and dusted in an hour. Can't see any advantages to not completing the PLF as soon as possible.

33 minutes ago, wowzz said:

We are off cruising next Friday (22nd). Ordered our PCR tests today, and completed out PLFs. Stored on our phones and a hard copy as well. 

All done and dusted in an hour. Can't see any advantages to not completing the PLF as soon as possible.

At the airport in Menorca this morning they checked our UK PLF's and vaccination details . Nothing at Gatwick.

1 hour ago, wowzz said:

But surely by doing this so early you have paid for a more expensive PCR Test when now all that is required is a much cheaper LFT ?

Surely a PLF is only required to be filled in before departing from a foriegn airport prior to returning to the UK ?

Why should it be necessary to have complete the PLF form before embarking from Southampton when it will be 14 days before UK return ? The P&O instructions merely ask for a data-enabled device to ' complete' / show PLF. It doesn't actually say the PLF has to be filled in ?

Bring a data-enabled device (e.g. smartphone or tablet) to complete/show the PLF re-entry documentation, and to complete the Barbados Immigration and Customs form. This is available through the website or BIMsafe app.

Edited by Baggy178

1 hour ago, Baggy178 said:

Surely a PLF is only required to be filled in before departing from a foriegn airport prior to returning to the UK ?

Why should it be necessary to have complete the PLF form before embarking from Southampton when it will be 14 days before UK return ? The P&O instructions merely ask for a data-enabled device to ' complete' / show PLF. It doesn't actually say the PLF has to be filled in ?

Bring a data-enabled device (e.g. smartphone or tablet) to complete/show the PLF re-entry documentation, and to complete the Barbados Immigration and Customs form. This is available through the website or BIMsafe app.

Taken from Government website-If you’re travelling on a cruise that lasts 19 days or less, submit the form in the 48 hours before boarding. If your cruise is longer, you can submit the form while travelling.