Need suggestions for transportation from LAX to San Pedro for Nov Cruise

mauimary

If you don't mind the cost I'd book an Uber XL Black. They can pick you up curbside, otherwise a standard Uber, Lyft or shuttle gets picked up at the LAX-it Lot, which requires a shuttle bus to the lot.

If you come into Terminal 1, the LAX-it lot is an easy walk.

Timing.

I just got home from LAX about a half an hour ago.

Since I've had trouble of late getting decent prices on an Uber/Lyft ordered on the apps ehen arriving at the LAX-it lot of late, I decided to pre-book a ride a couple of weeks ago.  First tried Uber and wasn't able to pre-book for some reason.  Lyft gave me too high a price.  So, I tried Prime Time.  My pre-booked trip home-LAX on Uber was $48.  Prime Time quoted me a price of $75 home...But, not wanting to take chances, I booked it.  They charged my credit card and sent me a confirmaton.  It told me to go to their app and click "I'm ready" when we arrive.

Tonight, at 7:25, my flight arrived right on time.  We caught the shuttle to LAX-it (they come frequently).  We clicked "I'm ready at about 7:45-7:50 when we arrived at the LAX-it lot. The app gave us a name of a driver and a license plate and said our ride would be there at 8:00.  We waited.  8:10, no car.  We called the driver (his phone # showed on the app).  He told us he was 40 minutes away!  I called Prime Time. Their dispatcher put me on hold for several minutes.  Meanwhile, I went to the Uber app.  It quoted a price of $62.  Should have grabbed it.  But, I was waiting on the PT dispatcher.  He finally came back and told me my ride would be there in about a half an hour.  I reminded him that I pre-booked and pre-paid and had already been standing outside in the cold for over half an hour.  His response?  "What do you want me to do?  We only have so many drivers and they're all busy.  Besises, we don't guaranty anything".  I told him to cancel.  But, by the time I got back on the Uber app, their price had gone up to $72..still better than Prime Time.  They had a driver there in THREE MINUTES.

I will NEVER use Prime Time again.  NEVER. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, NW Pacific said:

Research Prime Time Shuttle, but think you have to make it over to LAX-it lot??  Does anyone know if taxis can still pick up curbside or not

For taxis, you need to use the LAX-it lot for rides from the airport. same as Prime Time/Opoli (but steer clear of them!), Uber, Lyft...Limo services and Uber Black can pick up at the terminal.  

Edited by Bruin Steve

On 10/19/2021 at 1:32 AM, Bruin Steve said:

For taxis, you need to use the LAX-it lot for rides from the airport. same as Prime Time/Opoli (but steer clear of them!), Uber, Lyft...Limo services and Uber Black can pick up at the terminal.  

We'll be arriving LAX on United Airlines with wheel chair assistance to baggage claim. We need the easiest way to get to Crown Plaza, San Pedro without having to take a shuttle to another terminal. When we get our luggage should we get a luggage cart? We are seniors and need instructions on where to go to get the transportation without taking a shuttle.  If it's Uber Black should we call at the luggage claim or wait to get to the area for pick up? Sorry for all these questions really appreciate any help you can provide.  

2 hours ago, Lorey2007 said:

We'll be arriving LAX on United Airlines with wheel chair assistance to baggage claim. We need the easiest way to get to Crown Plaza, San Pedro without having to take a shuttle to another terminal. When we get our luggage should we get a luggage cart? We are seniors and need instructions on where to go to get the transportation without taking a shuttle.  If it's Uber Black should we call at the luggage claim or wait to get to the area for pick up? Sorry for all these questions really appreciate any help you can provide.  

Yes, it has to be Uber Black or above (Black SUV or Lux) and I'd start the process when you get to baggage claim. You should be able to see how far away an Uber Black is.

8 hours ago, scottca075 said:

Yes, it has to be Uber Black or above (Black SUV or Lux) and I'd start the process when you get to baggage claim. You should be able to see how far away an Uber Black is.

After we get our luggage how far will we have to walk to get to the pick up location? Is it hard to find?

Is Uber xl allowed to.pick at that location or just Uber Black?

Edited by Lorey2007

6 hours ago, Lorey2007 said:

After we get our luggage how far will we have to walk to get to the pick up location? Is it hard to find? Is Uber xl allowed to.pick at that location or just Uber Black?

The long walk at LAX is not from baggage claim to the pick up area, but from the gate to baggage claim. It is a VERY long walk. If you have mobility issues you should arrange a wheelchair or cart with the airline.

Uber Black (Black SUV & Lux) pick up at the "island" between the inner lanes and outer lanes. It is the same location where hotel shuttles and rental car shuttle pick up.

And no, Uber XL is not a premium Uber service, just Uber Black, Uber Black SUV and Uber Lux are.

40 minutes ago, scottca075 said:

The long walk at LAX is not from baggage claim to the pick up area, but from the gate to baggage claim. It is a VERY long walk. If you have mobility issues you should arrange a wheelchair or cart with the airline.

Uber Black (Black SUV & Lux) pick up at the "island" between the inner lanes and outer lanes. It is the same location where hotel shuttles and rental car shuttle pick up.

And no, Uber XL is not a premium Uber service, just Uber Black, Uber Black SUV and Uber Lux are.

Thanks much we do have wheel chair service reserved with United. Is this island pick up on the same level as baggage claim?

13 minutes ago, Lorey2007 said:

Thanks much we do have wheel chair service reserved with United. Is this island pick up on the same level as baggage claim?

Yes, it is just outside the baggage claim area. There are separate islands outside each baggage claim area and they are divided by three separate categories, and they are well marked.

27 minutes ago, scottca075 said:

Yes, it is just outside the baggage claim area. There are separate islands outside each baggage claim area and they are divided by three separate categories, and they are well marked.

Thank you again you have been very helpful. The more info I have the better I feel.

On 10/18/2021 at 10:32 PM, Bruin Steve said:

Opoli was recommended on here by another poster, you're saying to avoid them?  Mind if I ask why, trying to figure out transportation to Long Beach.

I tried Opoli/Prime Time (It is the same operation) twice in recent months...

Both were BOOKED IN ADVANCE, trying to avoid last minute surprises.  BOTH were total disasters.

First time, booked in advance through the Opoli app, we got to the LAX-it lot (where they have all of the pick-ups for Uber, Lyft, taxis, Opoli) and, as instructed, notified Opoli, through their app, that we were there and ready for pick-up.  We were given the name, car typ and license plate # of a driver.  Several minutes later, the car rolls up.  The driver tells us that, yes, he is the driver, but, no, he is not there for us--that he has another customer first.  He is supposed to pick up this other customer, drive him to his destination, then return for us. Crazy...timing would be unconscionable.  But, the other customer is not even there.  He tells us he'd take us, but Opoli requires him to wait up to 45 minutes for the customer to show or he gets "dinged".  We ask him to call the company and get us another driver then...after all, we are pre-reserved, pre-paid and there right now.  He calls and has a long discusson with his dispatcher and finally, after maybe another 15 minutes says he's going to go ahead and take us.  At least we got home--though a bit later than it should have been.

Insanity is doing the same thing and expecting different results.  But, in a brief moment of insanity, we decided to give them another chance.  Figured, just maybe, that prior exerience was an anomaly.  Again, pre-reserved and prepaid for a ride, this time through their Prime Time app--which really goes to the same place.  Again, we get to the LAX-it lot at the proper time and hit "We're ready" on their app.  We are given a name, license plate # and type of car...and the app says the ride will be there at 8:00...about 15 minutes after we arrived...okay...We try to track the driver's location on their app--but it doesn't seem to work.  We wait patiently.  8:00 comes and goes, but no car/driver.  At about 8:10, we call the driver (his phone # is listed on the app).  He tells us he is 40 minutes--or so--away!!!  Remember, I pre-booked...and pre-paid $75 for this ride.  I check the Uber app...They can get me a ride in THREE MINUTES for $63!  I call Prime Time/Opoli and go through the voice prompts to get to a dispatcher.  The guy puts me on hold.  When he finally gets back on, he says he can get me a ride in "about a half an hour or so"!!!  I tell him that's ridiculous--that I pre-booked and pre-paid and have already, by that time, been standing out in the cold at LAX for over a half an hour.  He says "What do you want ME to do...I don't have any drivers".  I tell him to cancel and refund my money.  I go back to the Uber app and book there.  Unfortunately, it has now gone up to $72--still cheaper than my poli reservation.  They get me an Uber in THREE MINUTES.  Guy is there right on time.

Uber has LOTS of drivers.  When you contact them, from my experience, sometimes you get "surge pricing" and the cost is high.  but, at least, they get you a ride--QUICKLY.  Opoli, apparently, has one driver a night...and he's behind schedule, nowhere ner the airport or just lost.  They aren't organized well enough to even insure you a ride in any reasonable time even if they've had weeks to prepare for it.  Maybe someday they get their act together...but I sincerely doubt it.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Sprocket said:

Opoli was recommended on here by another poster, you're saying to avoid them?  Mind if I ask why, trying to figure out transportation to Long Beach.

I originally touted Opoli, but the reviews I've read have been pretty bad. I'm avoiding them from now on.

• Like 1

New to booking transportation to port not provided by hotel. Also never used UBer. We booked a hotel near Lax.Decided flight was enough stress without waiting on Uber, etc.   Can we prebook Uber to pick us up at hotel to take us to San Pedro port?  Or is a taxi probably as good an option?  We are waitlisted for Royal Caribbean airport shuttle. Looks like they don’t start their cruises for another month so maybe shuttles aren’t fully arranged yet.  Do the ships still need test voyages before starting up again?

On 10/23/2021 at 1:25 PM, Lorey2007 said:

Thank you again you have been very helpful. The more info I have the better I feel.

If it's not too late, see if you can fly into Long Beach airport. Hubby is on oxygen and slow mobility. Learned LAX is going thru major renovation due to upcoming Olympics p!us it is a very large and busy airport. LBG will be so much calmer for us. Marriott has free shuttle and will call cab for us to get to pier next day. Look into Long Beach airport.

Wish I had known this.  We are staying with family after cruise and LAX was more convenient and familiar.  But I could have maybe looked into multi city.  Problem with Long Beach when I did consider there for a Carnival cruise there were fewer non stops from east coast. 

20 hours ago, landerslp said:

Wish I had known this.  We are staying with family after cruise and LAX was more convenient and familiar.  But I could have maybe looked into multi city.  Problem with Long Beach when I did consider there for a Carnival cruise there were fewer non stops from east coast. 

I'd rather change planes in Dallas, Chicago or SLC if I can avoid LAX. Even SNA is better than LAX.

On 10/23/2021 at 8:19 PM, Sprocket said:

I always take Uber to/from LGB airport.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

To Lorey2007 - I was just researching Uber for my own LAX to San Pedro transfer and an option came up called "WAV" stated as wheel-chair accessible. Amazingly, the price was the same as for the least expensive regular Uber (about $50 as of today, 12/5/21). I cannot say if you would have to get to the special lot for pick-up or if it would be right outside baggage claim. I would hope, knowing they are picking up for wheelchair passengers that it would be at baggage claim.

Anyway, thought I'd mention it in case the info could be useful. Happy cruising!

Karen

PS - when is your Navigator trip? A friend and I are on the Jan 31st sailing.

2 hours ago, behrsmom said:

To Lorey2007 - I was just researching Uber for my own LAX to San Pedro transfer and an option came up called "WAV" stated as wheel-chair accessible. Amazingly, the price was the same as for the least expensive regular Uber (about $50 as of today, 12/5/21). I cannot say if you would have to get to the special lot for pick-up or if it would be right outside baggage claim. I would hope, knowing they are picking up for wheelchair passengers that it would be at baggage claim.

Anyway, thought I'd mention it in case the info could be useful. Happy cruising!

Karen

PS - when is your Navigator trip? A friend and I are on the Jan 31st sailing.

Our cruise is Feb 21st and it can't get here fast enough. Thank you for the info we will be using United's wheel chair service just to baggage claim so I'm not sure we would qualify we will just most likely order the Black Uber pick up. Is your cruise a 7 night cruise?