Disembarkation in Rome

harryspotter

I'll throw out... Rent a car.
Now that I've said it - I would not to it 'again'.
Just a few years back we rented a car (after deplaning) in Florence, essentially parked it for 3 days at the hotel, then drove to Rome. After 3 days in Rome, drove to Citi port and dropped the car before embarking our Celebrity cruise.  
Sounds pretty easy and simple.  It was not.   If it weren't for a very good GPS (the car was a brand new Mercedes sedan) I might still be driving around Italy. All the driving was pretty intense.  
Hardest part was dropping the car at 'Citi' port.  The Rental car return was hard to find and pretty much just a garage like the one we all park our car in at night.  
We made it and 'we did it'.   Dear OP... If you have a sense of adventure - rent a car.  

3 minutes ago, LGW59 said:

hailing a regular cab in Rome can be torture 

That's because in Rome it's not the norm to "hail" a cab. You have to go to one of the taxi stands scattered around the city or ask your hotel or restaurant to call one for you. (Or you can install an app to call nearest taxi but most folks aren't in the city long enough to make that worthwhile....)

2 minutes ago, LGW59 said:

You are referring to a specific company almost like having a private driver, hailing a regular cab in Rome can be torture 

I am referring to a specific company at which one pre-books a private driver. A company, I might add, from whom I’ve always received excellent service.  I said nothing about hailing a regular cab in Rome. 

3 minutes ago, Silkroad said:

I am referring to a specific company at which one pre-books a private driver. A company, I might add, from whom I’ve always received excellent service.  I said nothing about hailing a regular cab in Rome. 

Ok then to my point I called it a private driver you posted a link to a cab company, semantics I suppose 

8 minutes ago, LGW59 said:

Ok then to my point I called it a private driver you posted a link to a cab company, semantics I suppose 

Both Rome in Limo and Rome cabs provide customized private tours as well as transfers, but by all means post a link to your private driver.

44 minutes ago, LGW59 said:

romecabs.com   a very very reliable car service offering transportation between FCO, Rome and the port  as well as  in other parts of Italy.  Got it?

1 hour ago, harryspotter said:

just did a quick quote with Rome in limo.  170 for 2 people and 180 for 4.

Would make sense to share with 2 others, but not sure all the cases would fit..

You need to ask them. They will provide an appropriate sized vehicle for 4, including bags. In our case, for 4, it was a van. No problem with our bags.

1 hour ago, harryspotter said:

I was curious, since I've remembered that we paid 140 Euro for 4 people -- private transfer (June 2015).

I've made a simulation on CCS [the site I've quoted above] -- June 1st, at 9.30AM, from port to FCO.

The rates are the same as 6 years ago...  119 Euro for 2, including 2 suitcases and 2 carry-ons, private transfer. Same rate from port to hotel in Rome, or vice versa.

2 hours ago, harryspotter said:

I've used Romashuttle in the past for their shared shuttle service. They don't wait at the port to pick up new fairs (as someone suggested upthread) but only pick up pre-reserved customers. 

It appears that due to the pandemic they are not offering a shared shuttle at this time. That's probably universally true in Rome. However, the going rate for a transfer from the port to either Rome or FCO airport is 110 euros for up to 2 passengers:

https://www.romashuttle.com/