Testing requirements for Ft Lauderdale only

PGI GUY

26 minutes ago, zelker said:

⬆️ ⬆️ ⬆️

Does NOT pertain to US or Canadian pax embarking at US ports!

GET IT?

Let’s end this here. You refuse to acknowledge what Viking puts in my MVJ for my Hawaii cruise that also affects all cruises in 2021 because you read something different somewhere else. Do what you want.

• Haha 1

THIS is what applies to US or Canadian pax embarking at US ports (shows up for the specific US embarking cruises under Resources) and THIS is what Clover with Guest Relations at Viking told me when she called me two days ago in response to my email. 

14-21005-RestartPreCruiseRequirement-UnitedStates_US_CA_FINALv2.pdf (vikingcruises.com)

Note the testing part -

ADDITIONAL REQUIREMENTS TO TRAVEL ON BOARD A CRUISE SHIP:

4. Proof of negative COVID-19 NAAT/ PCR or antigen test - If traveling from US/Canada, taken no more than two (2) days prior to boarding your ship.

So you do what YOU want!  LOL

• Like 2

We just uploaded our Covid Proof of Vaccine cards into VeriFLY (we're 30 days out from embarking in FLL) and wanted to share the message that came up after everything was approved and we're officially "ready to travel" ... it says:

Thank you for completing the VeriFLY vaccination certification process.  Please review the Pre-Cruise Requirements found under the Resources tab of your itinerary page on the Viking website and follow all guidelines that Viking provides via email and on MyVikingJourney.com.  We look forward to welcoming you onboard.

There is a reason that there are multiple threads with people trying to sort out what the actual requirement policies are … that reason is that Viking has published contradictory information in different locations.

The testing requirements as officially stated by Viking in MVJ and in the resources tab of the Hawaii Sojourn itinerary on the official website are absolutely contradictory. For those of us flying out a day or two early and/or over a weekend or a holiday, it needs to be straightened out by Viking now. Frankly, this never should have happened and it is deeply concerning to me that Viking has yet to catch this mistake or care enough to fix it.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, kjbacon said:

There is a reason that there are multiple threads with people trying to sort out what the actual requirement policies are … that reason is that Viking has published contradictory information in different locations.

The testing requirements as officially stated by Viking in MVJ and in the resources tab of the Hawaii Sojourn itinerary on the official website are absolutely contradictory. For those of us flying out a day or two early and/or over a weekend or a holiday, it needs to be straightened out by Viking now. Frankly, this never should have happened and it is deeply concerning to me that Viking has yet to catch this mistake or care enough to fix it.

YES - EXACTLY CORRECT - at least for the cruises going out of LA later this year and I suspect FLL also.

21 minutes ago, mc_reeve said:

YES - EXACTLY CORRECT - at least for the cruises going out of LA later this year and I suspect FLL also.

Absolutely what some of us on these threads have been saying and what we have discussed with and had confirmed by Viking agents.

Since this thread is specific to Fort Lauderdale cruises, I'm posting a link to the newly updated PDF under resources, dated today, October 18, 2021.  If you haven't already done so, go to the Resources page under your itinerary where you'll find a newly updated PDF that among other things looks to have added the info about being able to do independent tours "at this time but that can change".  Testing info looks to be the same as the previous version dated October 5th - PCR or Antigen test within two days of boarding the ship.  And of course the caveat to recheck all of this again at least 7 days before the cruise.

2 minutes ago, zelker said:

Since this thread is specific to Fort Lauderdale cruises, I'm posting a link to the newly updated PDF under resources, dated today, October 18, 2021.  If you haven't already done so, go to the Resources page under your itinerary where you'll find a newly updated PDF that among other things looks to have added the info about being able to do independent tours "at this time but that can change".  Testing info looks to be the same as the previous version dated October 5th - PCR or Antigen test within two days of boarding the ship.  And of course the caveat to recheck all of this again at least 7 days before the cruise.

Yes,  I see this too.  Just got an email from Viking, upon questioning conflicting requirements,  saying the Oct. 13 letter saying a 72 hour PCR test before first flight email was “sent in error”!
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, zelker said:

Thank you.  I see it in our Hawaii cruise resources tab, dated October 18.

2 days for getting test results back AND traveling to the ship in order to board make this nearly impossible for those of us who don't live in a large metro city and don't have rapid test places, even if we wish to pay for them.  I've sent a note to tellus asking what their recommendations are since we physically have no sites that will guarantee a 2 day or less turnaround on results.  Then what?  Do they turn us away from the ship, even though we could prove we did the test less than 2 days earlier?  This is starting to get ridiculous!  Unfortunately it looks to be a CDC order - but it completely penalizes those not in a metro city that provides rapid testing.

ADDITIONAL REQUIREMENTS TO TRAVEL ON BOARD A CRUISE SHIP IN THE US (CDC REQUIREMENT):
4. Proof of negative COVID-19 NAAT/PCR or antigen test, taken no more than two (2) days prior to boarding your ship.

Edited by CCWineLover
  • Like 2

I requested, via tellus@viking (and received a call the next day) that they seriously consider allowing us to use the BinaxNow proctored home test via online video observation like the “big boys”, e.g. Holland America, do.  Haven’t heard back or seen anything on Viking that says they will yet.  

• Like 1

It took me almost 15 minutes to find the October 18th memo on the Viking site even after reading the instructions from others on this site about where it was.  I am usually pretty good at finding information...it really has left me gobsmacked that Viking has about 5 other places on the site (including 3 separate places accessed from My Viking Journey) where they say 72 hours.

I don't understand how people are supposed to figure out what is really required.  I really hope they will change the rest of the site to be consistent with the 10/18 memo.  I am sure this is all pretty overwhelming for Viking to deal with but they have a whole lot of annoyed customers now and risk people getting to the ship and not being allowed to board because they didn't test within 48 hours because they weren't aware of the requirement...

• Like 2

3 hours ago, CCWineLover said:

Proof of negative COVID-19 NAAT/PCR or antigen test, taken no more than two (2) days prior to boarding your ship.

Aren't quick antigen tests available?  Walgreens has quick antigen tests with results the same day.

Unfortunately this 2 day before embarkation issue is not limited to Viking. Most of the major cruise lines now sailing from the US have the same requirements. However, to me, Viking has certainly dropped the ball on giving clear and concise information to their passengers and with not offering a test at home option.  

Many of the main stream lines, such as Royal Caribbean, Princess ,  Celebrity , have very clear Health Protocol links on their site along with FAQ  section that list things like the 5 different type of Antigen tests and 9 different PCR type tests approved,  how  the to order approved home tests,along with a clear example of the 2 day window -

The CDC requires pre-cruise testing for vaccinated guests to be taken within two days prior to the sailing date. If the sailing is on Saturday, the test may be taken on Thursday and Friday, and as late as Saturday, if you are guaranteed to receive your results in time for check in.

Let’s hope with so many passengers contacting Viking about this issue, they will correct these inconsistencies and adapt a more clear and concise policy like the other lines sailing from the US.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, JeriGail said:

Aren't quick antigen tests available?  Walgreens has quick antigen tests with results the same day.

We also live in a small town.  The two Walgreens nor the CVS in our town offer antigen tests.  I have checked.  We will probably drive 50 miles or so to Louisville to get this.  Not a huge deal.

13 hours ago, JeriGail said:

Jeri - none of the Walgreens, CVS's, or other pharmacies provide antigen tests.  And there is apparently a limited supply.  There are some you can pay for in our county, but you have to have COVID symptoms already in order get it and pay nearly $200 for the antigen test.   The nearest place is Los Angeles area, where there are many-but that's where the ship leaves from!   Our small little airport used to provide testing, but closed that due to lack of use.  Doctors won't.   I'll wait to hear from Viking on if home tests are permitted.  Sadly, this 2 day rule might mean cruises in US for people in big cities only or for those who have the ability to go to the big city 2 days ahead of time to get their tests.

Based on our experience when doing a proctored at home test especially on a Saturday or Sunday when there is no UPS or FedEx pickups, you might have difficulty in getting timely results.  Getting timely results from a test that had to be done on a Saturday and another on Sunday caused us to have to cancel two trips.

21 minutes ago, fudgbug said:

Based on our experience when doing a proctored at home test especially on a Saturday or Sunday when there is no UPS or FedEx pickups, you might have difficulty in getting timely results.  Getting timely results from a test that had to be done on a Saturday and another on Sunday caused us to have to cancel two trips.

The at-home proctored test we're talking about (and wish Viking would decide to accept) is done live in front of a camera (on your tablet, computer, phone, etc.) while a medical professional from eMed observes the entire thing and certifies it, then uploads your results into an account you created beforehand.  It takes about 30 minutes from start to finish and can be done from anywhere, 24/7.  Nothing has to be sent out via mail or FedEx.  

Here's the process:  

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, zelker said:

The at-home proctored test we're talking about (and wish Viking would decide to accept) is done live in front of a camera (on your tablet, computer, phone, etc.) while a medical professional from eMed observes the entire thing and certifies it, then uploads your results into an account you created beforehand.  It takes about 30 minutes from start to finish and can be done from anywhere, 24/7.  Nothing has to be sent out via mail or FedEx.  

Here's the process:  

Let's Get Checked was done in front of the computer.  Thanks for this info.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, CCWineLover said:

none of the Walgreens, CVS's, or other pharmacies provide antigen tests.  And there is apparently a limited supply. 

Sorry to hear that.  I searched for COVID test sites and found this state of California site that says tests are available in San Luis Obispo, but I didn't go any further to see what tests they offer.

Testing - Coronavirus COVID-19 Response (ca.gov)

Just received this email from Viking for our 11-17-21 cruise out of FLL.  No mention of BinaxNow home test but regardless, I'd say this IS the definitive confirmation for anyone embarking in the US.

-------------

Panama Canal & The Pacific Coast
Ft. Lauderdale, Florida to Los Angeles, California

19OCT2021

Dear Viking Guest,

As you prepare to embark on your journey, we would like to take a moment to clarify the pre-cruise requirements for cruises embarking in the United States.

Earlier this month, you received a notification about the Viking Health & Safety Program's 72-hour PCR test requirement. However, Centers for Disease Control (CDC) regulations require that passengers embarking cruise ships in the U.S. present a negative PCR or antigen test taken 2-days before embarkation.

The test taken to meet the CDC requirement (PCR or antigen) will fulfill Viking's 72-hour PCR test requirement. There is no need for any additional COVID-19 testing before your voyage. We recognize that PCR tests are considered the gold standard for COVID-19 and Viking's diagnostics platform for testing on board our vessels. However, because the CDC guidelines allow for antigen testing, Viking has made a policy exception for voyages leaving from the U.S. and will accept antigen test results.

Additionally, to ensure your vaccination certification is processed well ahead of your departure, complies with CDC requirements and to avoid any delay, please complete your VeriFLY Vaccine Certification as soon as possible. You'll find detailed instructions here.

For a complete list of all pre-cruise requirements and to be sure you are well prepared for your journey, please consult our Pre-cruise Requirements found here.

We look forward to welcoming you on board.

Sincerely,

Viking

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, zelker said:

Just received this email from Viking for our 11-17-21 cruise out of FLL.  No mention of BinaxNow home test but regardless, I'd say this IS the definitive confirmation for anyone embarking in the US.

Actually, that email is just for your cruise - not anyone else embarking in the US. I'm on the 12/20 Hawaii Sojurn, and there is no email yet. Viking did correct the instructions in MVJ from earlier today which I copied and pasted below. However, the resource blurb on the website hasn't been changed and conflicts with what is printed below. I assume Viking will straighten  this out as they have done for your Panama cruise. One resource for testing I haven't seen mentioned here is Quest Diagnostics. They claim to have facilities all over the globe, so it might be something to check out. No cost (at least for NJ residents).

COVID-19 Testing

Viking requires all guests take a COVID-19 PCR test prior to departure

For departures through December 31, 2021, Viking requires that all guests take a COVID-19 PCR test within 72 hours prior to boarding their first outbound flight from their home country.

A negative PCR test result is an added layer of protection for you and your fellow travelers—and will provide peace of mind should your destination change its entry requirement with little notice.

It is important to note that some countries already have COVID-19 testing requirements that may be different from the Viking requirement. If the first country of your itinerary already requires a negative COVID-19 test result for entry, there is no additional testing requirement. The negative COVID-19 test results you are using to meet the country’s entry requirements will meet the Viking testing requirement.

If you are traveling independently outside of your home country, you must take a PCR test no more than 72 hours prior to your first Viking activity (embarking ship or joining pre-cruise extension). This may involve arranging a test independently in the country you are visiting.

To find a testing location near you, follow the link* below. Please note:

• When selecting a testing location, make sure it provides COVID-19 PCR tests.
  • Call the testing location before you schedule an appointment to confirm it can deliver the test result prior to your departure.
  • There may be a charge at some testing locations.

As you prepare for your voyage, please read the Pre-Cruise Requirements found under the Resources tab of your itinerary page on the Viking website and follow all guidelines that Viking provides via email and on My Viking Journey.

@Squawkman  Thank goodness it IS specific to our cruise so I KNOW 100% it's applies to us AND it matches what I see under Resources (although WHY they can't have that reflected under MVJ is beyond me 🙄).  Also, it had both of our names and our booking number at the top, along with the name of the cruise.

This is a CDC requirement, not the cruise line, and I'm sure other cruises following ours that embark in the US will eventually get the same email directive specific to those cruises.

RE: Quest Diagnostics, Holland America has been directing pax to them since September when they started requiring a 2 day turnaround but all Quest's are not created equal ... for instance, none of them in Colorado provide a rapid antigen test and none here guarantee results fast enough doing a PCR test.  CVS is pretty non-existent in Colorado so our default is Walgreens to try to get a rapid test but then you're stuck only being able to schedule 2 or 3 days out max.  The bottom line is that testing is very location-specific which many people don't get.

Edited by zelker
  • Like 1