What Covid test do I ask drugstore for?

DaveOKC

44 minutes ago, DaveOKC said:

I can access either CVS or Walgreens for my upcoming cruise.  I am a bit unsure of exactly what type/name of Covid test I should ask them for.  Anything else I should know?

Check HERE with HAL for the most accurate and up to date guidance on their requirements.

Most drug stores don't sell the proctored at home COVID test that is required.    Emed or Optum health sell the correct tests on line.  HERE

You can buy the same test at a drug store, but it will usually be marked OTC  as opposed to Rx.   if there isn't a big warning to NOT OPEN THE PACKAGE until instructed, it is not the proctored test. 

If you are going to the CVS or Walgreens in person to get a test, you will want to sign up for the Rapid Antigen Test.   The PCR test is fine, but the results take 1-2 days.   Although I have read that if you take the test, but don't have results, HAL will test you at the pier.  

Make a CVS reservation HERE

Edited by The-Inside-Cabin
  • Like 3

33 minutes ago, DaveOKC said:

Thanks for the information.  I should have noted that I was interested in taking the test AT the drugstore.  Will consider the at home test as a backup - do you get the results from that right away?

If you get the Emed Home test from Optum, you will get the results emailed to you within one hour...You will know the results right away, but Emed will send you official results that HAL will accept within an hour or so

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DaveOKC said:

Thanks for the information.  I should have noted that I was interested in taking the test AT the drugstore.  Will consider the at home test as a backup - do you get the results from that right away?

I did the  "Rapid Abbot ID Now" which is a NAAT test at Walgreens.  It was one where I stayed in my car at the drive-thru pharmacy and the pharmacist watched me swab my nose from the drive-thru window.  I have done this twice, so far....once for the NA in Alaska and then again for the Eurodam..  Both times I had the results by email within an hour.  YMMV.

Edited by Red Haired Lady
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Red Haired Lady said:

I did the  "Rapid Abbot ID Now" which is a NAAT test at Walgreens.  ...  I have done this twice, so far....once for the NA in Alaska and then again for the Eurodam..  Both times I had the results by email within an hour.

Thanks for posting this. Without a smartphone, we are limited to Walgreens/CVS in our area.

48 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

At Walgreens ask for the NAAT test. 

At CVS ask for the rapid antigen test.

Avoid the PCR test unless it is required (some countries do but most cruises do not) as it takes longer.

PCR is also a NAAT and Walgreens does that one, too.  They need to ask for the Rapid Diagnostic ID (NAAT) at Walgreens.  Appointments scheduled online show both offered and the one to click on is the Rapid Diagnostic ID.

My DW went to both CVS and Walgreens today and asked about the tests.  CVS told her that they no longer do the Rapid test, just the one that takes 2-3 days.  Walgreens said that they do the Rapid test and we should get the results in a few hours.

36 minutes ago, DaveOKC said:

My DW went to both CVS and Walgreens today and asked about the tests.  CVS told her that they no longer do the Rapid test, just the one that takes 2-3 days.  Walgreens said that they do the Rapid test and we should get the results in a few hours.

Dave, we took the Abbott Labs At Home proctored test (Emed) and it's an instant result after the 15 minutes testing wait.  The results were emailed instantly as well.  HAL accepted the test with no hesitation or issues and it's the same test being used on the ship.  We've had 2 tests on board and we're supposed to have another by Friday.

PM me for further info on procuring tests.

2 hours ago, Btimmer said:

Dave, we took the Abbott Labs At Home proctored test (Emed) and it's an instant result after the 15 minutes testing wait.  The results were emailed instantly as well.  HAL accepted the test with no hesitation or issues and it's the same test being used on the ship.  We've had 2 tests on board and we're supposed to have another by Friday.

PM me for further info on procuring tests.

Totally agree with you.

On 10/18/2021 at 11:00 AM, The-Inside-Cabin said:

Check HERE with HAL for the most accurate and up to date guidance on their requirements.

Most drug stores don't sell the proctored at home COVID test that is required.    Emed or Optum health sell the correct tests on line.  HERE

You can buy the same test at a drug store, but it will usually be marked OTC  as opposed to Rx.   if there isn't a big warning to NOT OPEN THE PACKAGE until instructed, it is not the proctored test. 

If you are going to the CVS or Walgreens in person to get a test, you will want to sign up for the Rapid Antigen Test.   The PCR test is fine, but the results take 1-2 days.   Although I have read that if you take the test, but don't have results, HAL will test you at the pier.  

Make a CVS reservation HERE

Thank you.  I had read about Emed but couldn't remember the name.  I booked a test with CVS and today got an email that it was cancelled and to reschedule!!  Too much of a chance.  I am ordering the Emed test that you can do at home by zoom.  Much less stress.  Thanks for the link!  

2 hours ago, Ilikeboats said:

Thank you.  I had read about Emed but couldn't remember the name.  I booked a test with CVS and today got an email that it was cancelled and to reschedule!!  Too much of a chance.  I am ordering the Emed test that you can do at home by zoom.  Much less stress.  Thanks for the link!  

Just a heads up (not knowing when your cruise is).  Emed  is currently sold out, word is that Optum is still selling them.  

I just ordered from Optum.  They asked questions,but only my billing and shipping information, not who was taking the test.  I`d understood that the name was supposed to be specified, but wasn't.  Do I need to order Second 2 pack for my travel companion with her birth date (they do ask that)?

10 hours ago, Jemima said:

Do I need to order Second 2 pack for my travel companion

I would order just to have spares. There have been instances of issues with the package being mangled, missing/empty fluid, Testing process etc (Stuff Happens). 

Having spares is just cheap insurance.

• Like 1

On 10/18/2021 at 6:04 PM, DaveOKC said:

My wife has had the test done at cvs drive-thru twice. Although they say 2-3 days, she's had email results within 12 hours. YMMV.

Here neither Walgreen's or CVS is doing any kind of tests, but our Urgent Care does.  It has been changing week to week in our area. I gave up and ordered a Mobile unit to come to the house, prepaid. It seems the only thing reliable at the moment except for Abbott and I hear they are out of kits. My backup is Urgent Care....

On 10/18/2021 at 9:16 AM, DaveOKC said:

I can access either CVS or Walgreens for my upcoming cruise.  I am a bit unsure of exactly what type/name of Covid test I should ask them for.

It is the CVS Rapid Antigen Test.

As for the comments on tests no longer being available - I just responded on another HAL Thread - I will copy that response here:

That "no longer testing" comment interested me: I am not cruising until early December but I decided to do a check on current options for CVS Minute Clinics in my area (Fort Worth, TX) - just to see if things had changed here. For my September Cruise I used CVS near me and had my Abbott BINAX Home test as my Plan B back-up (Gotta have a back-up these days). 

I did a dummy search/scheduling I answered Yes to the first two questions and no for all the following

Are you seeking a test to prevent possible spread of COVID-19 for future travel or recreation (according to CDC guidelines)?Yes No

Are you seeking a test to prevent possible spread of COVID-19 after being at a place where social distancing was not possible? Yes No

I found  5 test "lanes" at 3 locations (all within 12 miles) with available time slots including today and out to 13 days from today. 

Sooooo - so far I will stick with the same plan of CVS testing  with my (still not expired) Abbott BINAX Home test as back-up - and take 3 Abbott BINAX Home Tests with us as...Back-up (Last cruise we used one while on-board when DW was not feeling well - to just check - good to have).