Viking River Cruises and final payment

Seminole1975

I recently booked a cruise on Viking for December 2022 from Amsterdam to Basel. I spoke to the representative and put down a deposit. When I got my Guest Statement, I noticed that the Final Payment date is November 30, 2021, more than a year in advance. I did not hear the representative tell me this in our conversation, nor did I see this in the fine print. 

This is my first time taking a river cruise. I called the rep back and he said that they do this because there is such a demand for their services and they want "commitments" from their passengers. For those of you who have traveled on Viking, can you tell me if this is standard procedure? I did get a sale price on the cabin. Thank you in advance for your feedback.

This was standard practice for Viking pre-COVID. I don't know what it currently is. I know some have been able to negotiate something a tad better before COVID but not much better.

Other companies have much more lenient final payment dates.

I avoid Viking because of this.

Edited by Coral
  • Like 1

Pretty typical for Viking. We have done 3 cruises with V and it has been fine. V's pricing has been fairly stable for the Rhine cruise. You may be able to cancel and get a refund or a credit to be applied to a future cruise.  Then book closer to sailing date. In the meantime, watch for a deal (free air or included drink package) and if you see it, pounce.

Yes, very typical of Viking to have final payment a year before sailing date.

In fact, we've fully paid by summer 2019 for summer 2020 Viking grand european river cruise, which was canceled & resched for next month, so now they've had our $ for almost 2.5 yrs.  But no worries, they've taken care of us pretty well so far...

Viking's policy is the main reason we do not sail them.

I'd rather not deal with the effort involved in being reimbursed thousands of dollars if we would decide to cancel within the acceptable limit. 

Be sure to let family members know that you are booked with Viking in case something should happen between booking and sailing that prevents you from being able to personally cancel.

Note that this a Viking US policy because they can do that. In Britain so far this was not allowed under EU regulations (consumer rights, etc.) Have not heard if this changes. No company in the EU does that as far as I know. 30 to 90 days is standard. Even promotional offers do not have a one year before wanting full payment policy as far as I know.

The promotion may play into your booking with Viking but I tend to find their promotions misleading (this also does not happen in the EU). What may seem like a massive reduction/offer may not be so favourable when you do the detailed pricing calculation with another line. The British and US website differ a lot from each other. Personally, I find the telephone rep a bit cheeky, "commitment from passengers?!". I do not want to go deeper into that topic...

Just a bit of background to explain why I go with @Coral that I would never book with Viking.

If you can accept the policy for yourself and keep your booking you can look forward to a great cruise. There are thousands of happy customers of Viking for good reasons.

If not, you may want to take the advice and cancel, there is much on offer elsewhere, especially on this popular route. Or indeed look at Viking again later in the year, but be prepared for your favourite date to be sold out then.

Oh and, by the way, we usually recommend the stickies, the pinned threads on the title page of this forum, to new cruisers. Which I am doing now 🙂. So much helpful info.

And talking of helpful - there are many people here on the forum eager to help with other questions you may have. Ask away!

notamermaid

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, Seminole1975 said:

Thank you everyone. I have much to think about. I appreciate it.

Viking has a huge name reputation in the US due to all of their advertising. There are several other lines that have a great reputation for river cruises. Some are rated higher and some provide a higher level of service/food. You may be able to cruise them for a similar price of Viking. I would read the stickies at the top and maybe consider some of the other river cruise lines. They will probably provide better payment terms also.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Seminole1975 said:

I would be out $100 pp from the deposit, but if I could save more money on another line, it might be worth it. 

It isn't so much that you would save money – Viking tends to price out fairly well.  What you could get is higher quality food, more space onboard, smaller excursion groups and more excursion choices, fewer  extra costs.  Viking has a good product [except for this early payment rule, which is also a deal-breaker for me] but there are other river cruise lines with excellent products.

• Like 1

In addition to the stickies - there are some good books out there:

https://www.amazon.com/Berlitz-River-Cruising-Europe-Cruise/dp/1785730606/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=Berlitz+river+cruises&qid=1634863180&sr=8-1

https://www.amazon.com/Ultimate-River-Cruising-Handbook-formula/dp/1719300712/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=river+cruise+guide+ralph&qid=1634863236&sr=8-3

Some friends had the same pricing with Viking as with Amawaterways. Some lines include more tours or include tips. Look at the whole picture.

I would probably recommend a cruise agent who has sailed multiple river cruise lines if you can find one. Have them price a few different lines out for you after you do your research on what lines include what.

• Like 1