Carnival sold me Bermuda but is giving me Freeport

Ilovesailaway

8 minutes ago, jsglow said:

You read that correctly.  Vaccinated folks with No Symptoms and No positive test are locked in their cabin until disembarkation back in New York because of Bermuda's draconian rules.

I'd say that's curtains for Bermuda for quite some time.

YIKES  😳

3 hours ago, jsglow said:

So I'm not going to belabor it my friend and I sincerely hope you enjoy your revised itinerary.  But Carnival had really NO CHOICE.  The Bermuda rules are simply one's Carnival isn't in any way prepared to acquiesce  to.  As I type this, NCL pax are locked in their cabin for simply being vaccinated close contacts (at the Production Show) to folks that ended up having their embarkation dockside PCR test (with results coming 2-3 days into the cruise) show up positive.  You read that correctly.  Vaccinated folks with No Symptoms and No positive test are locked in their cabin until disembarkation back in New York because of Bermuda's draconian rules.

I'd say that's curtains for Bermuda for quite some time.

As I understand it Carnival is allowing 5% of passengers to be unvaccinated, which is not allowable in Bermuda. So Carnival could have told that 5%, "sorry, you won't be able to sail" and sailed with the 95% who are vaccinated but they chose instead to change the itinerary to save that 5%. We will certainly go and make the best of it since we had gotten a really great deal for Bermuda, but I would not have booked this cruise at the price we paid had the itinerary been the Bahamas. And Carnival could have done a much better job of communicating all of this to passengers than they did (I still haven't received official notice of the $150 OBC per cabin, as just one example). I do understand that Carnival may be suffering from staffing shortages and the communications failures may have been exacerbated by that and I am taking that into account. They are currently selling this sailing for $3200 for 2 for a balcony cabin. Anyone want to book that? Wait a week and it drops down to $2100 for the same cabin (which is still too high for me for this itinerary).

We were just notified that our post-Thanksgiving cruise that supposed to go to Grand Turk 😄 was changed to Nassau 😣 No option of changing/canceling our cruise (wouldn't anyways) nor any OBC.  We'll be fine but chose that itinerary because it didn't go to the Bahamas at all 😕 It'll still be a great cruise 😎

• Like 1

On 10/29/2021 at 1:02 PM, sparks1093 said:

As I understand it Carnival is allowing 5% of passengers to be unvaccinated, which is not allowable in Bermuda. So Carnival could have told that 5%, "sorry, you won't be able to sail" and sailed with the 95% who are vaccinated but they chose instead to change the itinerary to save that 5%. .

The Bermuda restrictions go far beyond the paraphrased “100% vaccinated” theory.

If you can’t see why Carnival didn’t risk the chance of a shipwide lockdown upon docking, you can’t.

I can.

4 hours ago, StolidCruiser said:

The Bermuda restrictions go far beyond the paraphrased “100% vaccinated” theory.

If you can’t see why Carnival didn’t risk the chance of a shipwide lockdown upon docking, you can’t.

I can.

Oh I can see that too and it's what I thought at first until others shot it down. Doesn't matter, in 13 days or so I'll have a drink of the day in hand.

On 10/30/2021 at 12:58 PM, new_cruiser_75 said:

We were just notified that our post-Thanksgiving cruise that supposed to go to Grand Turk 😄 was changed to Nassau 😣 No option of changing/canceling our cruise (wouldn't anyways) nor any OBC.  We'll be fine but chose that itinerary because it didn't go to the Bahamas at all 😕 It'll still be a great cruise 😎

Which ship is that? We're on the Freedom 12/4 sailing and are also scheduled for Grand Turk (on 12/10) and it's still showing us going there. Grand Turk might or might not be open by then, so I won't be surprised if either one happens.

Edited by Earthworm Jim

2 hours ago, Earthworm Jim said:

Which ship is that? We're on the Freedom 12/4 sailing and are also scheduled for Grand Turk (on 12/10) and it's still showing us going there. Grand Turk might or might not be open by then, so I won't be surprised if either one happens.

Freedom sailing 11/27.  Have they ever changed ports then changed them back?

11 hours ago, new_cruiser_75 said:

11/28 I assume you mean? I don't know if they've ever changed it back. I'd guess they could if a change in circumstances gave them a reason to.

Interesting that they changed your cruise, the one immediately before mine, but haven't changed mine. Maybe that means we really will go to Grand Turk. Or maybe it just means they don't make those changes until about a month before the cruise and mine could be coming any time now.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, new_cruiser_75 said:

Grand Turk is SUPPOSED to reopen sometime in December but no definitive answer when in December.

• Like 1

Is this sailing the first return for Bermuda sailings? Is there a way to see when Carnival ships are scheduled to sail there, find out how soon they notify pax of changes, and what those changes are to?

I was told by my pvp that we could change ships with no penalty so we're debating doing that for our May 2022 cruise. We're holding out a bit but don't want to wait too long as the rooms that hold 4 people may sell out or become more expensive by that time for the alternatives we would swap to.

• 5 months later...
9 minutes ago, buckyfawnie said:

Any updates on Carnival's sailings to Bermuda this summer? We're booked from Baltimore departing on 8/28 and wondering if we'll get an itinerary change. 

I think a lot depends on what Bermuda's current stance is on COVID and testing before arrival for cruise ship passengers.

• Thanks 1

I was the OP on this thread and I tried to link it to something that was just posted but it now shows up as a new post... my bad I'm sure. Sorry for the confusion.

I wanted to show that Carnival did this back in November because it looks by recent posts they may be doing this again.

We are to sail on the Legend from Baltimore to Bermuda 22 May. No word from our TA (their last trip, out of business) about the form and testing requirements Bermuda has in addition to the pre-cruise testing. From what I have seen, they require a test two days prior to embarking, while Carnival is okay with three days if one is boosted. I would hate to get it three days, then find out that it is not acceptable. (I am doing it through Optum, online. I did that last month for a RC cruise.)

Has anyone heard anything? Are ships docking there again? In the roll call for my sailing, I asked but have received no responses. This is my third or fourth try to get to Bermuda, due to the pandemic.

11 hours ago, shof515 said:

Cruise ships been docking at bermuda for about a year. i went on two bermuda cruises last year with NCL.

Bermuda requires everyone to pay a fee and upload test results and vaccination information. More information on their website:

https://www.gov.bm/applying-bermuda-travel-authorisation

I wish I would have read the date on the OP, I didn't realize this thread was from last year until I was on page two... ugh.

As such, it gave me pause. I've been on three cruises since the restart.  My next sailing up is a 7 nighter out of NYC to Bermuda in August. I had no idea that Bermuda had such restrictive Covid entry policies. I booked this specific sailing for two reasons; Have a weekend to shop and party in NYC before we sail. The other, to go to Bermuda. If their policies don't change, I'm screwed. I've done a Sourhern and 2 Eastern Caribbean sailings in the past 9 months. I don't want to go to the Bahamas. 

When will the Bahamas cruise season start for Carnival this year? I want to know what's going to happen. I've already booked airfare (which I never do this far in advance). If it looks like we a port change will be likely... i want to try to get a ship change for the same date range. 

What's the status in Bermuda now?

This whole theory that the 2023  cruise that was rerouted from bermuda to the Bahamas yesterday was because of bermudas covid requirements seems to be b.s...

There are 2022 and 2023 cruises still scheduled for bermuda..carnival would scrap them all if it were as people say it is in bermuda..

It makes no sense for a 2022 cruise to be going to bermuda..

3 hours ago, csoud68 said:

This whole theory that the 2023  cruise that was rerouted from bermuda to the Bahamas yesterday was because of bermudas covid requirements seems to be b.s...

There are 2022 and 2023 cruises still scheduled for bermuda..carnival would scrap them all if it were as people say it is in bermuda..

It makes no sense for a 2022 cruise to be going to bermuda..

I'm on a Bermuda cruise in June out of Baltimore.  TBH, with the restrictions that are in place, I've been waiting for Carnival to change the ports.  I saw this thread not realizing it was old and thought it had happened lol.  Guess I go back to waiting... 

I should have done some research before I posted last night... but it was late and I was mad. Last month Bermuda  eased their cruise ship Covid entry requirements.  The exact particulars are available on a government website. In brief, unvaccinated children under 11 are allowed to get off the ship if they sail with a vaccinated parent. Testing requirements are similar to Carnival's requirements for boarding if Bermuda is first port of call. If Bermuda is not first port of call, additional onboard testing is required.  Prior to sailing, an entry authorization must be applied for and costs $40  per person.

Carnival needs to share this with it's Guests. The summer Bermuda cruising season is kicking off very soon.