Celebrity App

Don1936fido

I just spent about 4 hours trying to download the Celebrity App on my Samsung android phone. Nothing seems to work. I tried to download the app by going through the Play store, but it won't even locate the app, even though I can locate the app on my desktop. How can I fix this? My first is on the Silhouette. .I'm booked for 4 cruises in the next 6 months and I'd like to have this app.

Don 

Edited by Host Kat
Removed personal information.

I cannot help you, but I cannot resist.

I was able to easily load and use the celebrity Ap for our current Apex cruise using both my IPad and IPhone.

The tool is easy to use and very convenient.  Very nice job by Celebrity.  Based on our current on board internet issues, it is good that it does not need the outside Internet to function.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, mom says said:

Possible that your device is too old a version for the app?

Hence my question in the first response.

Seems the Celebrity app requires Android 7.0 or higher.

@jagoffee

I can't resist, either.  Try it with iOS 6 and see if you can get it to work.  I believe that's the sort of issue we're dealing with here. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, canderson said:

Hence my question in the first response.

Seems the Celebrity app requires Android 7.0 or higher.

@jagoffee

I can't resist, either.  Try it with iOS 6 and see if you can get it to work.  I believe that's the sort of issue we're dealing with here. 

An I Phone operating on ISO 6 would probably be worthless/non functional. I wonder what version of an IPhone would actually work with ISO 6?  

Does one absolutely need a functioning app to know what is going on on one's cruise?  Is the idea that it is more real time on events than the daily paper schedule you get?

What can you do with it that you cannot do in your cabin with a paper schedule and/or TV list of menus ( which I assume there is)?

My first X cruise is coming up soon.  I am not anti-app, ( have an iphone) but on other lines, the in-room ipad offerings were typically next to useless, e.g., out of date, wrong, or in conflict  with other info.

7 hours ago, Catlover54 said:

Does one absolutely need a functioning app to know what is going on on one's cruise?  Is the idea that it is more real time on events than the daily paper schedule you get?

What can you do with it that you cannot do in your cabin with a paper schedule and/or TV list of menus ( which I assume there is)?

My first X cruise is coming up soon.  I am not anti-app, ( have an iphone) but on other lines, the in-room ipad offerings were typically next to useless, e.g., out of date, wrong, or in conflict  with other info.

I find it handy to check different Menus while in Luminae (MD and Blu) if I don't find anything of interest.   I also like to check my account periodically with a single click.

You can go through the daily agenda for the complete cruise and have those that interest you entered into your Personal Calendar.    It reminds you of these events as well as your tours and specialty dining reservations.    You can also make dinner reservations, cancel tours etc. 

You can also do your Health Questionnaire before boarding,  Store your Boarding Pass,  and watch the safety drill while having lunch etc. when on-board.    Also if you happen to forget your SeaPass in your room you can open your stateroom door with the App and your phone.  

Personal choice, but I'm a techie and  also prefer to use an Calculator than a Slide Rule.   

The app is  not intuitive but has come a long way in the past couple years and is currently very accurate and up to date.    I use it multiple times a day. 

Edited by Jim_Iain
  • Thanks 2

7 hours ago, Catlover54 said:

While you do not "absolutely need a functioning app" on a Celebrity cruise it certainly is handy.  Jim's statement that he prefers to use a calculator than a slide rule sums up the situation nicely.  Last month we were on our first cruise (B2B legs) since the global suspension and I noted with interest that the post cruise survey for both legs included a question about the Celebrity app -- did we have it loaded before the cruise, loaded during the cruise or didn't at all.  I doubt the app will become mandatory, but your life will be easier with it.

• Like 1

Most likely an unsupported operating system. Generally, when I hold onto a phone longer than about 4 Android OS updates after mine stops being able to accept them, I get a message from the App Store to the effect that “This app is not compatible with this phone.”

When that happens with more than five or six apps, it’s time for a new phone.

On 10/22/2021 at 11:56 AM, Catlover54 said:

You do need the app. You boarding pass will be on there. The pre-boarding health questionnaire is on there and the muster drill is on there. Using the app greatly speeds up your boarding time. When we were on the Edge in September, it less than 5 minutes from curb outside to on deck on the ship. 

It's also helpful as you can use your phone as your room key and if you're on Edge class, your room controls are available on the app as well. 

For me the convenience was being able to see the dinner menus which made it easier to determine where we were going to have dinner.

I have an older Samsung phone but my Android version is up to date and had no problems downloanding the app from the Google Play Store.

7 minutes ago, Sammigar said:

You do need the app. 1)  You boarding pass will be on there. 2) The pre-boarding health questionnaire is on there and 3) the muster drill is on there. Using the app greatly speeds up your boarding time. When we were on the Edge in September, it less than 5 minutes from curb outside to on deck on the ship.

Big difference between "need" and the potential for convenience.

1) I have my paper copies with bar codes in hand.  Just as scanable as my phone.

2) Which will all be asked again before boarding.

3) Which can be managed on the TV as well after embarkation.

Granted, it may be convenient, but I wouldn't want someone who is struggling with getting this app loaded and running for whatever reason to think they "need" to have it in order to perform the basic steps of embarkation.  I'm on an S20 with 11, but not all old phones can be updated to Android 7, which is the minimum upon which the app will function, among other potential issues... like not having a smart phone to begin with.