thanksgiving cruise, antigen testing, and recent covid infection

midwestman

Couple of conundrums hoping I can get some guidance on.

I have a cruise booked for the Saturday after thanksgiving, and am flying down on Friday.  This does not leave much time available to get a test anywhere with the 48 hours.  So the plan is to buy one of those antigen kits and do it after arrival in Fort Lauderdale.  I still worry about the time frame, or getting a package of kits that are missing components (as I have read happens frequently,) or not having an available appointment time.  I doubt we would be able to find a testing location on thanksgiving, let alone get results back in a timely manner.

In addition, I have just recovered from a covid infection.  I've heard that if a person has had a recent infection, the antigen test will come back positive.  If that is true, I'm basically screwed.  Anyone have any thoughts or ideas?

I would order the approved home test or test at the airport. Maybe schedule and airport test but use the home test first and if something goes wrong with the home test, go to the airport.

https://store.optum.com/shop/products/abbott-binaxNOW-COVID-19-ag-at-home-test-kit-2-pack

https://testing.nomihealth.com/easy_registration/34/onsite

Edited by Saint Greg
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, midwestman said:

In addition, I have just recovered from a covid infection.  I've heard that if a person has had a recent infection, the antigen test will come back positive.  If that is true, I'm basically screwed.  Anyone have any thoughts or ideas?

I'm reading from several sources that someone who has recovered from Covid will continue to test positive for weeks or even months, so yes, that's likely a problem.

I seem to recall seeing something on Carnival's website about vaccinated individuals who have recovered from Covid needing a doctors note, but can't find the link right now.  You should certainly find that information and go from there.

Your best option is to check with your doctor. He may be able to administer a rapid-test on Thursday at the clinic and give a medical report explaining his findings.

You can also take a rapid test in CVS/walgreens anytime now and see if it is negative. This can clear your mind and have better planning for the actual cruising test

• Like 2

Yes, if you recently, last 90 days recovered, you can test positive still. You will need a doctor's note starting you are 100% recovered. That is risky for a doctor to agree to because they will have to disagree with a positive test. I can't see many willing to risk signing off with that being the case. If you are in fact positive and they sign off, they can have ramifications. 

My suggestion would be to buy the rapid tests now so you'll have them.   Take one soon-ish (you can just do it yourself w/o the online dr appt) to see if you come back positive. I hear the antigen tests are less sensitive than the pcr ones.  You have another month until you go, so you may not test positive by then?  At least of you take one ahead of time you can ease your nerves and plan better.  I'm in the same situation with just having recovered....but my cruise is in Feb.

• Like 2

if you are curious about what result you will get, do one of the at-home tests that are not proctored.  You can buy at CVS for $20 for a pack of 2.

If you do the proctored test, I would do it before you fly.  I would hate for you to have to fly all the way there just to be denied boarding.

Edited by FTLCruiseGal

2 hours ago, BoozinCroozin said:

Yes, if you recently, last 90 days recovered, you can test positive still. You will need a doctor's note starting you are 100% recovered. That is risky for a doctor to agree to because they will have to disagree with a positive test. I can't see many willing to risk signing off with that being the case. If you are in fact positive and they sign off, they can have ramifications. 

I have read on these boards that a doctor’s note stating 100% recovery isn’t accepted by Carnival to explain away a positive test result.  Positive result means not allowed to sail.

• Like 1

You say "I have just recovered" but did not mention how long ago.

On the Carnival website it states:

I guess a good question is what is considered "recently"

What happens if I have a positive COVID-19 test within 14 days of sailing?

Please do not go to the cruise terminal if you have any symptoms of, or have recently tested positive for, COVID-19. Call 1-800-314-9859 to cancel your cruise. You will receive a future cruise credit. For more information on symptoms of COVID-19, please visit the CDC's website Indicates external site which may or may not meet accessibility guidelines. Opens in a new window..

• Like 1

I had the same worry. I had COVID in August. My cruise was last week. I did a “practice” test 2 weeks out with Rite Aid. Negative.  I did the emed proctored test 2 days before. Negative. I had a fabulous time on my cruise. 

• Like 7

On 10/22/2021 at 3:27 PM, BoozinCroozin said:

disagree with this. My job for the last two years has been to manage tracking all tye

covid cases and testing at work. We did have someone test positive when tested for a medical procoedure; who had recently recovered from Covid. The health department told us to disregard the positive test. We are also allowing people to get doctors notes for 90 days following recovery to be excused from Future testing and plenty of doctors are writing them. The CDCs standard is that once recovered from Covid (10 days past initial infection) you are clear for at least 90 days and a positive test can be considered false. 

On 10/22/2021 at 2:46 PM, groundloop said:

I'm reading from several sources that someone who has recovered from Covid will continue to test positive for weeks or even months, so yes, that's likely a problem.

I seem to recall seeing something on Carnival's website about vaccinated individuals who have recovered from Covid needing a doctors note, but can't find the link right now.  You should certainly find that information and go from there.

my understanding of this issue is that some people who have had Covid can continue to shed the dead virus for up to 90 days. I believe this is a much bigger problem on a pcr test than antigen test. Pcr tests are much more sensitive than antigen tests and are design to detect the presence of the virus (even dead). While anitigen tests are designed to test for an active infection and detect that presence of the virus at a higher amount. This doesn’t happen to everyone with Covid. The best thing to do is to take an antigen test today. If you are negative, you will likely be negative for the pre-cruise test.

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, sanger727 said:

disagree with this. My job for the last two years has been to manage tracking all tye

covid cases and testing at work. We did have someone test positive when tested for a medical procoedure; who had recently recovered from Covid. The health department told us to disregard the positive test. We are also allowing people to get doctors notes for 90 days following recovery to be excused from Future testing and plenty of doctors are writing them. The CDCs standard is that once recovered from Covid (10 days past initial infection) you are clear for at least 90 days and a positive test can be considered false. 

my understanding of this issue is that some people who have had Covid can continue to shed the dead virus for up to 90 days. I believe this is a much bigger problem on a pcr test than antigen test. Pcr tests are much more sensitive than antigen tests and are design to detect the presence of the virus (even dead). While anitigen tests are designed to test for an active infection and detect that presence of the virus at a higher amount. This doesn’t happen to everyone with Covid. The best thing to do is to take an antigen test today. If you are negative, you will likely be negative for the pre-cruise test.

This is 100% accurate.  Kudos for providing great information.

In fact, if someone tests positive with a PCR test who has had COVID in the last 4 months, some places will allow the use of an antigen test to clear that individual to return to work.

Good luck!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, sanger727 said:

I don't disagree with you  however, You are confusing this information with domestic US and Carnival. Please show an example of someone with a Positive covid test that was permitted to board a Carnival cruise 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BoozinCroozin said:

I don't disagree with you  however, You are confusing this information with domestic US and Carnival. Please show an example of someone with a Positive covid test that was permitted to board a Carnival cruise 

I'm not saying that Carnival will allow it. 

But this bit in general terms is untrue

"That is risky for a doctor to agree to because they will have to disagree with a positive test. I can't see many willing to risk signing off with that being the case. If you are in fact positive and they sign off, they can have ramifications."

I haven't seen any push back from a doctor or health department in discounting a positive test in the 90 days following a covid recovery. 

• Like 1

Carnival only looks at 14 days prior to sail date.  So unless OP contracts COVID 2 weeks from now, a rapid test 4 weeks from now should show negative.  Any one can still get a false positive.  So best strategy is to get several tests prior to actual 2 days before sail date.  Weekly would be fine.  If recovered from COVID within last 90 days, pass the first couple of tests off as just still picking up the virus anti-bodies.  But do get a doctor's note stating you have had COVID on such and such date and are not contagious.

22 minutes ago, midwestman said:

Thanks everyone, I have a little bit more hope than before.  I'll try contacting my doctor for some kind of note, and try calling Carnival for clarificaiton.

We were sailing on Mardi Gras 11/27 cruise and after 4 of us spending weeks investigating how we could get tested on Thanksgiving, we cancelled and rebooked a 1/8/22 cruise.  Like you, we were flying out on Friday for a Saturday cruise.  The drug stores will not have anyone to do the tests, the Urgent care places are closed (they say if you have an emergency on Thanksgiving, then go to ER), doctor's office is closed.  We had no idea whether it would be difficult to get a proctor to monitor 4 people on Thanksgiving.  Too many hurdles, too much stress so hopefully the CDC will not come up with some other nonsense in 2022.  I hope you are able to get the tests done and have a fabulous cruise.

My husband and I cruised a little less than a month after both of us tested positive for COVID-19.  Two days before our cruise, we did the at home proctored tests and it could not have been easier.  Both of us were negative and had a great time on our cruise.  So I would not stress.  Rather, as others suggested, go ahead and test now.  If you are negative now, then just do the proctored test either before your flight or after.  And have a great time on your cruise! 

• Like 2

We are driving down Thanksgiving Day and sailing Saturday on the Mardi Gras.  We will be doing the home test very early that morning so we can then load the car and start driving.  This is what we did for our cruise last week and it was so easy!!!

The proctors for the home tests are available 24/7….365 days a year.  Last time our wait for a proctor was less than one minute….😁

• Like 1

On 10/22/2021 at 11:24 AM, midwestman said:

Couple of conundrums hoping I can get some guidance on.

I have a cruise booked for the Saturday after thanksgiving, and am flying down on Friday.  This does not leave much time available to get a test anywhere with the 48 hours.  So the plan is to buy one of those antigen kits and do it after arrival in Fort Lauderdale.  I still worry about the time frame, or getting a package of kits that are missing components (as I have read happens frequently,) or not having an available appointment time. 

I had a very similar problem with the pre-testing, living 5 hours from the port and in a remote part of the desert with only ONE place to get tested and they not being able to guarantee results in even 48 hours. I just canceled my PANORAMA cruise 4 days before FINAL PAYMENT. I was very fortunate and got a wonderful lady at Carnival, Isabella, that is refunding my entire deposit. Will just have to wait until they suspend all these pre-cruise testing requirements.

Just to be crystal clear, Carnival WILL deny you boarding if you are unable to produce a negative test result. There are no exceptions, and no amount of documentation will get you on board with a positive test. It is clear and the backup from Carnival has already been posted in this thread. 

• Like 3

13 hours ago, glrounds said:

I had a very similar problem with the pre-testing, living 5 hours from the port and in a remote part of the desert with only ONE place to get tested and they not being able to guarantee results in even 48 hours. I just canceled my PANORAMA cruise 4 days before FINAL PAYMENT. I was very fortunate and got a wonderful lady at Carnival, Isabella, that is refunding my entire deposit. Will just have to wait until they suspend all these pre-cruise testing requirements.

Sorry to hear you had to cancel. Just wondering why you didn't consider doing the proctored home test or even testing at the airport, as a last resort?

• Like 1

We just returned from our cruise Monday.  Out of the 4 of us, 2 (fully vaccinated) had been positively diagnosed with covid about 4 weeks prior to the cruise (recovered fine).  We bought the Emed proctored tests.  Everybody tested negative/everything went fine.

• Like 1

We had a RCCL cruise scheduled last week, and hubby tested positive 2 days before (he had mild cold symptoms for the week prior).  He tested negative yesterday, so 12 days from onset of symptoms.  I will have him test again next week - we leave on the 13th, but I'm relieved.

• Like 1