The Daily for Saturday October 23, 2021

richwmn

Today is Make a Difference Day, National Mole Day, and TV Talk Show Host Day

"Our prime purpose in this life is to help others. And if you can't help them, at least don't hurt them. - Dalai Lama"

Meal suggestion for today - Perfect Broiled Salmon

Drink of the Day - Royal Bermuda Cocktail

Wine of the day - Innocent Bystander Pinot Noir Yarra Valley 2016

Destination of the Day - Barcelona Spain

Ships with Passengers

At Sea Pacific

Koningsdam Destination San Diego CA US

Fort Lauderdale, Port Everglades

Nieuw Amsterdam Florida 07:00 - 16:00

Katakolon (Olympia); GR

Eurodam 08:00 – 17:00

Portland (Weymouth)

Rotterdam England 08:00 - 17:00

Ships without Passengers

At Sea North Sea

Oosterdam Destination Scheveningen NL eta 10/25

At Sea Pacific

Noordam Destination Los Angeles CA US eta 10/30

Corfu GR

Volendam

Zaandam

Great Stirrup Cay

Nieuw Statendam Anchorage

La Paz MX

Zuiderdam Anchorage

Puerto Vallarta MX

Westerdam

1023World.thumb.png.75a666a8ee3d640288acefbc857a0925.png

Edited by richwmn
  • Like 27
  • Thanks 14

Thank you for the Saturday Daily, Rich.  Every day should be Make a Difference Day, not quite sure why moles have a day, and talk TV hosts run the gamut.  I love the Dali Lama quote.  I've been to Barcelona many times but never on a BHB.  Ironically, I should be boarding the Carnival Legend there today for a ride home all the way to Baltimore.  I'll pass on the salmon.  My alternative is Chilled Grape and Cranberry Soup, Ribeye Steak and Cherry Sundae, as served on MS Amsterdam October 23, 2017.  I forgot to take a picture.

Today’s care list:

RIP Colin Powell
RIP FF Pierre Lacroix
Welfare of furloughed crews
Western wildfires
cat shepard’s friend recovering from aggressive chemo
StLouisSal not hearing from friend with liver transplant
1Angelcat awaotomg biopsy
ger_77 losing friend and cousin’s father
Quartzite cruiser losing long term neighbor and friend
cunorl’s (lymphona) and DH’s (stroke) sisters
Covid in JAM37's family
Mr. Boston temporary crown
From the rotation:
Krazy Kruizer DH Joe\
LaPalma

Celebrations and Shoutouts

Welcome aboard Lcruiser17 and trivia addict
Nieuw Amsterdam in Everglades
4 BHB with passengers
Front Line Health Care Workers
Welcome home Aliaschief
Vict0riann, sailingdutchy/ Lady President/ and Gail& Marty  at sea
durangoscots at a dog show
Lady Hudson at sea(Oasis OTS)
StLouisCruiser’s neighbor Damon coming home
CrabbiPatti controling A1C by losing weight
and Staff Captain Sabine, HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

• Like 29
  • Thanks 11

Good Morning.

Three cheers for "making a difference day". It goes so well with the Dalai Lama quote. I'll pass on moles and TV hosts.

The salmon dinner suggestion sounds wonderful.

Barcelona is a great city. I first visited there way back in 1972 on my first trip to Europe. We found a quiet little restaurant and had a magnificent paella along with a nice spanish red wine. The total cost for dinner for two was under $5 US. Those were the days.

Stay safe everyone

• Like 29

Good morning.  Thanks for the Daily Report.

An interesting collection of days.  Everyday should be Make a Difference Day.  Mole day???  There are so many types of moles, which one has a day?  Moles that tunnel in the earth, moles on a person's body, moles like in spy novels or moles that dig and dig all by themselves to solve a problem?  Not sure about TV talk show hosts.

Love the quote!

The dinner suggestion sounds good, but I don't have any salmon in the house, maybe another day.

Hope the drink of the day is tasty.  The wine sounds intriguing.

We were in Barcelona at the end of a cruise a few years ago.  @Vict0riannI've enjoyed reading about your cruise, hope the next week is wonderful too.

Prayers for everyone on the Care List.  Cheers for all the celebrations.

Have a wonderful Saturday.  Stay safe.

• Like 28
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Thank you for the Saturday Daily, Rich.  Every day should be Make a Difference Day, not quite sure why moles have a day, and talk TV hosts run the gamut.  I love the Dali Lama quote.  I've been to Barcelona many times but never on a BHB.  Ironically, I should be boarding the Carnival Legend there today for a ride home all the way to Baltimore.  I'll pass on the salmon.  My alternative is Chilled Grape and Cranberry Soup, Ribeye Steak and Cherry Sundae, as served on MS Amsterdam October 23, 2017.  I forgot to take a picture.

Today’s care list:

RIP Colin Powell
RIP FF Pierre Lacroix
Welfare of furloughed crews
Western wildfires
cat shepard’s friend recovering from aggressive chemo
StLouisSal not hearing from friend with liver transplant
1Angelcat awaotomg biopsy
ger_77 losing friend and cousin’s father
Quartzite cruiser losing long term neighbor and friend
cunorl’s (lymphona) and DH’s (stroke) sisters
Covid in JAM37's family
Mr. Boston temporary crown
From the rotation:
Krazy Kruizer DH Joe\
LaPalma

Celebrations and Shoutouts

Welcome aboard Lcruiser17 and trivia addict
Nieuw Amsterdam in Everglades
4 BHB with passengers
Front Line Health Care Workers
Welcome home Aliaschief
Vict0riann, sailingdutchy/ Lady President/ and Gail& Marty  at sea
durangoscots at a dog show
Lady Hudson at sea(Oasis OTS)
StLouisCruiser’s neighbor Damon coming home
CrabbiPatti controling A1C by losing weight
and Staff Captain Sabine, HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

I will eat salmon on Friday.  On Saturday, I like your alternative.   Thanks for the Lists you publish so fauthfully.

• Like 15

Good morning everyone, thanks for today’s report Rich.  Let’s all try to make a difference today, it takes less than you think.  Not sure that everyone will be celebrating moles.  I haven’t watched a talk show in years but Dick Cavett was always a favorite. Wonderful quote.  We had last week’s dijon salmon suggestion last evening so will shelve today’s suggestion. The dijon salmon recipe was very tasty.  Thanks for everyones’ kind wishes on the temporary crown, all went well and I’m able to chew on that side of my mouth again.  Haven’t been to today’s port and look forward to seeing the photos.  Prayers for everyone on our prayer list today and cheers to all celebrating a happy event.

• Like 26

Happy Saturday.  I hope I make a difference at times.  Will skip Mole day and haven't watched a talk show in a very long time.  Not worth the blood pressure going up with the stupidity.  I so wish more people would follow the Dalai Lama quote.  Will save the meal for DH.  Have not been to Spain.  Would have visited at the end of the month if we kept the cruise we had booked.

Prayers and toasts to our lists.  Thank you Rich and Roy for your dedication to the lists.

Stay safe, social distance, and wear your mask.

Royal Bermuda Cocktail:

Ingredients

60 mL Demerera Rum 2 oz
7.5 mL Orange Curacao ie. Pierre Ferrand) ¼ oz
22.5 mL Fresh Lime Juice ¾ oz
15 ml Falernum ½ oz
Instructions

Combine all ingredients into your cocktail shaker
Shake with ice
Strain into a chilled coupe glass
Garnish with a lime wheel

At its core, falernum is a soothing mix of baking spices, sugar, nuts (typically almonds) and lime. Its signature heat comes from ginger and there are both boozy and dry versions of the stuff. The former is made with overproof rum, resulting in a roughly 15-20% alcohol by volume liquid perfect for a Mai Tai.  The recipe for this is complicated and has many steps.  Google search for the recipe.

Screen Shot 2021-10-23 at 7.23.16 AM.png

• Like 22
  • Thanks 9

Thank you for today’s Daily, Rich! A wild combo of days, though I love the sentiment behind Make a Difference Day. 

Thank you for keeping our lists, Roy! Morning Dailyite family!

A busy day for me. I have a Celebration of Life for the husband of one of my gym instructors. Just turned 66, great health, very active, vaccinated and passed from COVID. Everyone was stunned by his passing. 

This evening I am having a couple of friends over for dinner. Salmon, pumpkin risotto, salad and wine. In between there will be a loooong Bindi walk. It is another lovely day here. 
But before I head out….

I am super excited because Laura @Horizon chaser 1957has agreed to allow me to adopt her beautiful eco-print blouse. All alone amongst the beautiful scarves. I have coveted (yes, coveted) this beauty ever since Laura shared its picture with us last year. 

76947A8B-059D-4134-8099-12F165EC09BA.jpeg.29100572c5916f2a67d82edda22a5902.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating! Stay well everyone!

Innocent Bystander Pinot Noir Yarra Valley 2016

This Australian Pinot Noir has excellent ratings and decent prices. You might not be able to find the 2016 vintage, but other vintages have prices starting at $17.99 online. 

Winemaker Notes

#54 Wine Spectator Top 100 of 2017

This new vintage release is already tasting beautifully. Very approachable, Innocent Bystander's Pinot Noir is made for those who like their Pinot long, savory and lean with abundance of fruit.

W&S91 Wine & Spirits
This is the last vintage Steve Flamsteed’s team made for Innocent Bystander, after Phil Sexton sold the brand to Brown Brothers. It’s a lovely gift to the new owners, a simple pinot noir with a luscious texture and tight, tense, floral, spicy drive. The light green-peppercorn scent makes it an ideal match for charcuterie.
WS90 Wine Spectator
Plush and elegant, with raspberry, cherry and fresh sage notes that are harmonious, juicy and intense on the finish. Drink now through 2027.
  • Like 27
  • Thanks 8

Good morning  everyone. I truly believe  we all can make a difference  and I promise to get my numerous  moles looked at soon in honor of their day.I am not much for talk shows or their hosts.

I make a salmon recipe with brown sugar and mustard that is quite  tasty.That might be a good idea for tonight as there is some salmon in the freezer.

We have been twice to Barcelona and had a great time.We toured everything Gaudi for two days.Stepping into the Sagrada Familia was an incredible  experience. I can't  describe  the feeling but the interior was fascinating. We also had some great meals there  including paella.

My ancient car is coming back to me this morning  after a small ransom is paid.Hooray!

A picture  of Camilla  with her pretty eyes came last night...

5957.jpeg

• Like 38

Good Morning Everyone, thanks for the daily report.  While Mona tried to get me up in time I missed the sail in of the NA.😆 Today promises to be a nice fall day.  I’ll start prepping the yard for winter.  I’m skeptical about today’s meal suggestion but will wait for @dfish recipes to decide, enough wine might make it ok. I hope everyone has a nice day today.

• Like 25

Good morning, Friends. Thank you for the Daily, the Lists and the Recipes.

I hope DH and I have made a difference this week. Not interested in talk shows and will pass on moles.

Love the quote and meal.

I have not been to the port, but have been to Barcelona.

We are picking up DMIL at the airport this morning.

DD is still tired, but well.

DSIL has been cleared to return to work next week. Back pains were still an issue yesterday, cough is subsiding and sense of smell started to return.

DGS has been a joy. Our plan is to go home tomorrow.

Have a wonderful day.

🙏 and 🎉 for those on our lists.

• Like 25

Thanks for the Daily, Rich and our Saturday smile 🙂 

I’ll happily celebrate Make a Difference Day today and every day if I can.  Pretty sure a lot of us thought of those nuisance little rodents with Mole Day.  Mole Day is actually …

“Celebrated annually on October 23 from 6:02 a.m. to 6:02 p.m., Mole Day commemorates Avogadro's Number (6.02 x 10²³), which is a basic measuring unit in chemistry. Mole Day was created as a way to foster interest in chemistry. Schools throughout the United States and around the world celebrate Mole Day with various activities related to chemistry and/or moles.”

Love that quote of the Dalai Lama - words for everyone to live by.  Great meal suggestion but I have a lamb in my curb-side order so if I get it, I think that will be dinner (with wine 😉)

@aliaschiefsafe travels today!

@Vict0riannyou still have a week to go on your cruise.  Enjoy it.

@smitty34877sweet pic of Camilla.  One pretty little girl!

@cat shepardgorgeous blouse!  Congratulations on getting what you have been coveting 👍 

We’ve been to Barcelona a number of times and absolutely adore the city.  Lots to see, wonderful people, wonderful wine and wonderful food.  What more can anyone ask for.  Like @Vict0riannI’m a bit sad it being the port for today as we were originally supposed to be getting on our cruise in one week along with her for the TA 😔  Sadly we have to wait for next year now.  I may need an emotional support animal when I do that Bon Voyage today.

CE2BFE6D-C8ED-4A87-9411-CF1CEB424F95.thumb.jpeg.4413f64707f82fcc35e38607fa4a88a8.jpeg

Prayers for everyone on the Care list & for those that need them and 🥂 to those on the Celebratory / Shout Out list.

Have a great Saturday everyone !!!!!!

5FC3EDEF-E805-45D1-A6A6-682B20DCCA2B.jpeg.6fb4d4801fcc5edf5d86536f213cd81a.jpeg

Stay safe & please don’t forget your 😷 

• Like 28
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 7

Good afternoon.

Thank you for today's daily Rich and Roy for the care, celebrations and shout out lists.

We should all try and make a difference if we can every day.

I'm not keen on moles as they can make a mess of your lawn.

Some talk show hosts are excellent.

Today's quote is very relevant and true and should be practiced by us all.

Nice food and drink today.

We have been to Barcelona many times and imo it is one of the best ports in the world for accessibility from the airport and the city.

We have stayed in hotels on La Rambla many times and the main attractions are very close including the port itself.

Prayers 🙏 for everyone who need them.

I hope everyone has a nice weekend.

Graham.

• Like 26

Good morning, all! It’s good to make a difference, although it’s something we need to do when the moment comes whenever that may be. Salmon sounds good, but we don’t have any right now. I’ve never been to Barcelona, but DH spent a couple of weeks there years before we met. @cat shepardAnn, I’m so glad that blouse has found the right forever home! I’m looking forward to seeing a picture of you in it. @smitty34877thank you for another picture of Miss Camilla, our Dailyite baby! @summer slopeI have a bottle of rum based falernum from a trip to Barbados. Good to know it can be used in Mai Tais. Now it has a reason for being.

We are heading to the big island today with a friend. Then tomorrow we hunker down for the big storm that’s moving in. We have lots of wood for heat, and a generator, so we’ll be fine.

Happy Saturday to all. Cheers to those boarding a BHB today, and condolences to those having to disembark.

4902923F-40C4-4322-97C0-8D15E14716CC.thumb.jpeg.13652b8a1b4b75e21f0a0958400b450c.jpeg

• Like 29
  • Thanks 1

Good morning, everyone.   

I had a fitful night last night.   It was my back being bad.   I finally got up and put one of those lidocaine patches on it.  That did the trick.  

Make a Difference Day should be huge.   And it does go hand in hand with today's quote.   It reminds me of what my sister told me when she was working.  She tried to make every encounter with her staff leave them feeling better than they did to start.   We never know how important that is.  And, it doesn't take much on our part in many, many cases.  Just a warm smile or hello.  

I have a video conference today from 11:00 to 3:00.   Most of the speakers are ones I want to hear.  It would be better in person, but was switched to virtual due to the Delta surge.  The good part about the conference being virtual is that I can attend in my pajamas.  

Salmon is one of my favorites and it is so good for us.  I can eat it several times a week.  I have a recipe for salmon that is marinated in bourbon and orange juice.  Mmmmmm.

Here is a basic broiled salmon recipe with a lot of great information about salmon and cooking it in general:  https://www.primaverakitchen.com/quick-easy-broiled-salmon-recipe/

1694667994_broiledsalmon2.thumb.jpg.d76fcb63c2ab528c843b7a4f22409644.jpg

Here is one that is a little more involved - more spices and herbs.  There are also suggestions on easy variations so it isn't the same old, same old all the time.   https://www.dinneratthezoo.com/broiled-salmon-fillets/

broiled-salmon-11.thumb.jpg.d669106938ecc70d4fa64c756f078118.jpg

And here is another one with some great ideas for variations.  This one also talks about doneness.   For safety, it is recommended that you cook salmon to 145 degrees.  Unless the salmon has been deep frozen before hand, you do want to cook it well done.  You can get tape worms from salmon.  

https://www.cookingclassy.com/broiled-salmon/

broiled-salmon-15-600x900.thumb.jpg.bffa23a6d54738974a31cbad8d02ec21.jpg

Have a great day, everyone!

• Like 24
  • Thanks 6

14 minutes ago, dfish said:

I had a fitful night last night.   It was my back being bad.   I finally got up and put one of those lidocaine patches on it.  That did the trick.  

Salmon is one of my favorites and it is so good for us.  I can eat it several times a week.  I have a recipe for salmon that is marinated in bourbon and orange juice.  Mmmmmm.

Sorry to read your back is bothering you. Hope it passes quickly. 

That salmon idea sounds amazing. I still have a bit of my Meyer lemon juice left. I may try combining that with bourbon and then marinating my salmon. 😎

• Like 15