Chichen Itza

Many of those that stop in Mexico will allow you to visit the ruins.  Pre-Covid it was always popular (and it seemed to be frequently sold out) from Cozumel.

BTW - This is one I would only do as a ship sponsored excursion.  You can, for example, get a 3rd party tour from Cozumel, but, it's a long trip and if there's any delay you could miss the ship's departure.

• Like 2

The best port to visit Chichen Itza is Progresso as its only about a 2 hour bus ride. Tours from Cozumel require a choppy ride on a ferry (aptly called The Vomit Comet) and then a long bus ride. 
There are a few 5 day cruises to Progresso from Galveston, but not a lot. 

Just now, LakeErieLady said:

Let me rephrase the question.  Which January to February 2022, 6-8 day cruises on which ships have tours that go to Chichen Itza?  All I see is that they stop in Cozumel and they list visiting ruins at San Gervasio.

Completely different question.

I agree that going to Chichen Itza when the ship docks in Cozumel is not a good choice.  Go on a land vacation, when you are staying in Cancun and have no issues with the ship's departure.

San Gervasio is right there on the island of Cozumel.  The ruins are "nice" but nothing as spectacular as the ones on the mainland.

As stated above, if you do happen to be able to book it from Cozumel, make sure it's ship sponsored. When we went a few years ago, it was a very long day and we barely made it back. There was a wreck behind us on the return trip and several people didn't make the ship. And take your seasick pills before boarding the ferry. It's quite the experience.

5 hours ago, Cigar King said:

Many of those that stop in Mexico will allow you to visit the ruins.  Pre-Covid it was always popular (and it seemed to be frequently sold out) from Cozumel.

BTW - This is one I would only do as a ship sponsored excursion.  You can, for example, get a 3rd party tour from Cozumel, but, it's a long trip and if there's any delay you could miss the ship's departure.

Absolutely agree with doing the ship's excursion for this. We were on one and our bus missed the last ferry back to Cozumel.  They had to send the ferry back from Cozumel and we didn't get to the ship until about 9 pm, which was 4 hours after the scheduled departure time.  Once we were back on board, they arranged for our large group to have dinner in the MDR. Other than waiting on the dock for the ferry to return, no worries.

2 hours ago, Jingerwoppy said:

As stated above, if you do happen to be able to book it from Cozumel, make sure it's ship sponsored. When we went a few years ago, it was a very long day and we barely made it back. There was a wreck behind us on the return trip and several people didn't make the ship. And take your seasick pills before boarding the ferry. It's quite the experience.

That is the reason that knowledgeable travelers call it The Vomit Comet.  😉

3 hours ago, mslhb said:

We are on an Allure cruise next March that stops in Cozumel. We booked the Chichen Itza by air tour offered by Royal. It’s pricey but saves the long travel time to the ruins.

I was planning on doing this for my December cruise and had been watching the price. Unfortunately a few weeks ago it just disappeared from Cruise Planner, so I guess that is out. I definitely don’t want to do the by land one. 

12 hours ago, Merion_Mom said:

Choose a ship that stops in Costa Maya.  Then take a private excursion with Native Choice

Hahaha that's beginning to be almost every ship out of Galveston.  Our jan 30 still says going to caymans ...the rest I had going there all go now to costa maya. Costa maya must be getting full up.

We are still hoping jan 30th does NOT go there. My march 27th says caymans closed so now going to Costa maya so it doesnt make sense jan 30th going. 

Dec 12th liberty guess where I'm going costa maya. Here I come. 

First allure got put off a year and i got transferred to liberty. Jewel never arrived, I'm on liberty and now my cruises are mostly all going the same itinerary. Lololol. My march 2022 was booked as allure. I didnt book all these as liberty. I must be getting too old but it's too hot and humid for me in the ports wearing a mask all the time. I'll do long excursions when masks go away, but I've been to these ruins before. You couldnt pay me to do such a long bus ride wearing a mask.