The Douro-----

Lois R

13 minutes ago, Canal archive said:

Liz just enjoy yourself have a wonderful time.

Thanks - I always do! This will be my 70th cruise, third on a river. Now that I am retiring my business, I suspect there will be many more cruises in my future.

Liz

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

For those who have done the Ama Douro cruise do you know what port house(s) you visit during their included tours in Porto? We will be in town a few days ahead of our cruise and I want to make a reservation but don’t want to duplicate the ship’s tours. This recently occurred to me and I will call AMA when I return home from Moorea. 😊

• 3 months later...

Hi All,

We are on the Amadouro November of 2023 and very much looking forward to our time in Portugal. A couple of questions I have are: During the bus ride to Salamanca are there bathrooms on the bus or a stop along the way for those of us needing regular breaks? What is the typical weather like this time of year? I see this year there have been some pretty rainy periods and not very many of dry days. 

Thank you!

8 minutes ago, Joe&Barry said:

Hi All,

We are on the Amadouro November of 2023 and very much looking forward to our time in Portugal. A couple of questions I have are: During the bus ride to Salamanca are there bathrooms on the bus or a stop along the way for those of us needing regular breaks? What is the typical weather like this time of year? I see this year there have been some pretty rainy periods and not very many of dry days. 

Thank you!

We did the Douro with Viking the second week of November, 2021. All Viking buses have a bathroom, but there was a rest stop too. Our weather was perfect - every day sunny with high temperatures either side of 70F - but we were told that was unusual as the cruise the week before ours had rain a few days.

1 hour ago, Joe&Barry said:

A couple of questions I have are: During the bus ride to Salamanca are there bathrooms on the bus or a stop along the way for those of us needing regular breaks? What is the typical weather like this time of year? I see this year there have been some pretty rainy periods and not very many of dry days. 

We were recently on an Emerald 7-night Douro cruise (29 Oct-5 Nov. 2022).  Arrived early the day before to a dreary, rainy day in Porto/Gaia.  Next two days had intermittent showers and partially sunny.  Weather during the rest of the cruise was pleasant and sunny, albeit with occasional brief showers.

Emerald used the same three buses & driver that followed the boat up & down the river.  The on-board heads were locked.   We had ~20-30-minute rest stop in both directions at a restaurant & bar about 2/3rds of the way on the ~2-hour ride to Salamanca.

(FWIW:  The weather was pleasant during our week-long DIY extension on Madeira (highly recommend going there if you have time.)  

On 11/27/2022 at 9:27 AM, Squawkman said:

We did the Douro with Viking the second week of November, 2021. All Viking buses have a bathroom, but there was a rest stop too. Our weather was perfect - every day sunny with high temperatures either side of 70F - but we were told that was unusual as the cruise the week before ours had rain a few days.

22 hours ago, hihandycap said:

We were recently on an Emerald 7-night Douro cruise (29 Oct-5 Nov. 2022).  Arrived early the day before to a dreary, rainy day in Porto/Gaia.  Next two days had intermittent showers and partially sunny.  Weather during the rest of the cruise was pleasant and sunny, albeit with occasional brief showers.

Emerald used the same three buses & driver that followed the boat up & down the river.  The on-board heads were locked.   We had ~20-30-minute rest stop in both directions at a restaurant & bar about 2/3rds of the way on the ~2-hour ride to Salamanca.

(FWIW:  The weather was pleasant during our week-long DIY extension on Madeira (highly recommend going there if you have time.)  

Thank you both for the information.