Do you carry your passport off the ship?

On 10/25/2021 at 2:22 PM, Cruiser1862 said:

On prior cruises we only carry a copy of our passport off the ship and keep original in the safe. What do you do?  We’re worried when we go to beaches and want to swim that our Passports could get stolen. We are going on western Caribbean cruise to Mexico. Thank you

We never carry our passport ashore unless it is required for our shore excursion (e..g, crossing the Canadian boarder whilst in Alaska). It is too easy for a pick-pocket to get your passport in any foreign ports. And there is a high value on getting them.  

On 10/25/2021 at 2:22 PM, Cruiser1862 said:

On prior cruises we only carry a copy of our passport off the ship and keep original in the safe. What do you do?  We’re worried when we go to beaches and want to swim that our Passports could get stolen. We are going on western Caribbean cruise to Mexico. Thank you

Our passports only leave the ship on the last day when we are going home.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

We never carry our passport ashore unless it is required for our shore excursion (e..g, crossing the Canadian boarder whilst in Alaska). It is too easy for a pick-pocket to get your passport in any foreign ports. And there is a high value on getting them.  

they’re of even higher value to you if you miss the ship

17 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

And there is a high value on getting them.  

Not any more. 

You cannot enter the US on stolen passport.  Your picture is in the database.  They compare the picture in your passport, the picture in the database, and you standing there.

I would like to hear from ANYONE who has had their passport stolen, that was not carrying if with their money and the money was stolen.

I personally think that the pickpocket was going for the cash and got the passport also.  And probably dumped the passport in the nearest trash can.   Getting caught with someone else's passport really tells the police you are  thief.  Money is not traceable.

On 10/26/2021 at 12:45 PM, njkruzer said:

In Copenhagen for several days before boarding our cruise. Passport was in my wallet,  which was lost or stolen.  It was a Friday afternoon.  Ship was sailing on Sunday.   We got to the embassy at 4:45.  Everyone had already gone home.  Security gave me an envelope with forms and told me to come back Monday!  Went to the police station to fill out police report. Took passport photos in the Photomat machine (horrible!). Then started making phone calls. A lost Passport is not an emergency.  State department couldn't help, nor could Royal.  Late that night our daughter called and said that our then senator's (Bob Corker) office had found us help and the next met a young embassy person at the embassy who got me a new temporary passport.  We were VERY lucky.  Did call Royal's emergency number with the new passport number so no problems on boarding. 

What I'm saying is that losing a passport in a foreign country can be extremely difficult to replace.  Also note that not all Caribbean countries have a consulate where you can easily obtain a new passport. 

Yes, but the REAL LESSON is don't carry your passport with your money.

• Like 1

On 10/27/2021 at 7:18 PM, njkruzer said:

There is one situation where you need at least a copy of your passport.   If you are in Europe or Israel and purchasing something with a VAT you want refunded.  I can recall the store needing my passport to complete the form I would need to submit at the airport or post official to claim the refund. 

I've been able to do this with a copy of the passport 🙂

On 10/27/2021 at 8:16 PM, Diver2014 said:

I always carry my passport when outside the USA.  That's what it's for.....proving who you are and what country you're from.    Why bother having a passport if you don't have it on you when you need it?  Forget photocopies....anyone can fake a photo.   If you get left behind because of an accident or get arrested for something (or anything in another country), you'll want your passport to get back to the US.

Try showing a drivers license to police or security in another country.  They'll look at you like you're joking with them.

As a law abiding person, I'm not concerned about being arrested.  Furthermore, cruiseships don't travel to places where people are randomly arrested on the street.  In the unlikely event that happened, a passport isn't going to serve as a "get out of jail free" card.  You won't be flying home until the local authorities release you and by the time that gets sorted out the embassy would have already had more than enough time to prepare travel documents for your return home.    

In regards to photocopies,  both the US & Canadian government recommend making copies of your passport as the information can be used to more quickly faciliate a replacement if needed.  This information is listed on both their websites.  So definitely not something one should "forget".

10 hours ago, lovemylab said:

As a law abiding person, I'm not concerned about being arrested.  Furthermore, cruiseships don't travel to places where people are randomly arrested on the street.  In the unlikely event that happened, a passport isn't going to serve as a "get out of jail free" card.  You won't be flying home until the local authorities release you and by the time that gets sorted out the embassy would have already had more than enough time to prepare travel documents for your return home.    

In regards to photocopies,  both the US & Canadian government recommend making copies of your passport as the information can be used to more quickly faciliate a replacement if needed.  This information is listed on both their websites.  So definitely not something one should "forget".

Being arrested isn't the only unforeseen thing that could happen that could cause you to miss the ship.  You could be involved in an accident, or you could have a medical emergency.

We take ours with us when we are off the ship and not on an excursion bought through the cruise line. Even if we're on a ship excursion, we may very well still bring it with us, but we feel a bit better leaving it onboard if the ship is looking out for us to some extent. 

If we take it, we leave a copy onboard. That's where you want your copy to be if something happens because it will make getting a replacement much easier. The ONLY thing a copy is good for, folks, is getting a new passport. Well, it's also good for wrapping fish (small ones), but that's about it.

A passport card is a fine option if you are travelling in Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean, or Bermuda. Other than that, it's only good in the same way a copy of your passport might be. 

There is not a real good answer to this question.  If you loose your passport on shore you'll wish you left it on the ship but on the other hand if you miss the ship you'll wished you had it with you.

Another thing to consider is if the cruise line discovers you don't have your passport they may deny you entry back on the ship.

Personally I leave mine on the ship.

https://www.newsweek.com/cruise-ship-passport-lost-holiday-vacation-travel-expenses-cost-1449424

Shak

6 hours ago, DCPIV said:

A passport card is a fine option if you are travelling in Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean, or Bermuda. Other than that, it's only good in the same way a copy of your passport might be. 

Just remember you can't use a passport card to fly.  Only good for land entry and some sea entry on cruise ships.  In an emergency you cannot use it to fly home.

• Like 1