Ship employee requests.

codeyell0

38 minutes ago, codeyell0 said:

This is not where I wanted this to go.

With all due respect, this is one of those no-win threads that never should have been started in the first place. Those like-minded people whom you were trying to reach didn’t also need a sounding board to brag about their generosity, as misplaced and misguided as some of it sounds. 

Those people that this thread was intended for? They know who they are, and to be gracious in person to a crew member - to have gifted material possessions, large sums of money, or food - is something that should be between only you and your deity, not posted on a chest thumping public forum.

You can’t make people care. It’s a value that someone has or doesn’t have.

And maybe instead of being kind and generous to foreign nationals on a foreign flagged cruise ship, they’re kind and generous to the homeless veterans we all know are out there. Or to the aged and disabled. Those who you have chosen to bestow your laser-focused overflowing bounty maybe different than who I care about. 

Time to move on. 😁

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

I never mentioned a dollar store and/or trinkets. Please keep your "facts" straight.

ETA: we always tip and tip extra. This thread is about providing something in addition to it, something a crew member may want or need, but not have access to. I just don't know how to make this more clear.

Ok but what they want or need is going to depend on the individual. I need tampons. I only use Tampax. Sarah uses pads, she prefers Always pads. Melissa would prefer a Diva Cup. Hannah doesn’t get periods anymore. See why a thread like this is impossible? There’s over 1000 crew members on each ship, you will not find one thing that every crew member will need or want. And since you don’t know who will be taking care of you, you can’t exactly ask ahead of time if there’s something they want. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, WindinmySails said:

Loved the potato chip story, but honestly cash is king.  I think a nice crisp 100.00 bill would be the best, best gift ever, along with a nice note of appreciation to their supervisor.  

To add that would be a tax free $100 bill and a note of appreciation to the supervisor could lead to a promotion. You can't accomplish that with a half used roll on deodorant.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

I never mentioned a dollar store and/or trinkets. Please keep your "facts" straight.

ETA: we always tip and tip extra. This thread is about providing something in addition to it, something a crew member may want or need, but not have access to. I just don't know how to make this more clear.

But how do you know they want it pre-cruise?  There are plenty of crew vlogs out there that have the employees tactfully say they don't need stuff because their cabins are so small. That they can get everything they need from the crew store and Amazon.

If you bring just random stuff, "thinking" they may need it, that is just, as everyone says, stroking your own ego.  If you know a very particular want of a particular employee, that is a gift.

A charitable donation is not a gift.

Tell me, do you query everyone's living conditions at every place you vacation or shop? When you shop at Wal-Mart, do you buy extra toothpaste and give it to the cashier because you assume they may not make enough to afford it?  

Do you bring charity items for hotel workers for land based vacations?  

You are making assumptions about people just so you can feel good.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Tree_skier said:

On my next Caribbean cruise I'm going to crochet my cabin attendant mittens

I'm going to clip coupons for hygiene products and give it to them in the Tip Tip Hooray envelope.

Edited by Iamcruzin
  • Like 4

15 hours ago, Cruise a holic said:

No.  We leave plenty of  three quarter snd half full products that some staff might find useful.  We don’t need the extra weight in our suitcase.  

In the era of Covid, anything opened gets pitched. Pretty sure it was that way pre Covid as well

• Like 4

14 hours ago, ryano said:

Or Port Canaveral.  There is literally nothing but a few restaurants within walking distance and thats only if they are at terminal 1.  

T1 is on a easy bus loop to the Ron Jon area. Win Dixie, CVS, Walgreens, etc..

There was a regular crew bus to both Wal-Mart and the mall pre covid. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Tree_skier said:

On my next Caribbean cruise I'm going to crochet my cabin attendant mittens

Laura actually knitted the Allure DL coffee guy a set of slippers for his 6 year old daughter.

She would work on a blanket every morning in the DL, and he was admiring her work. She didn't have time to finish the blanket, but could whip out the slippers in two days. He seemed very grateful and touched.

• Like 8

7 hours ago, billslowsky said:

They aren't.  We've been on several trips where the room attendant told us he was going to be going off the ship the next afternoon and wouldn't be available for service, so if we wanted something to ask early.  Many work lots of hours but they are not confined to the ship as some would like to make it sound.

Was this before the restart or after? Things have definitely changed since then.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, cured said:

…The funniest post I ever read was on a Disney cruise ship board where a lady said she painted rocks for the crew and how thrilled they were to get them.  Rocks.  It just goes to show what incredible professionals the employees of the different cruise lines are.  I have the utmost respect for them.

Omg! She must have lost a few of her own.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, billslowsky said:

You tell me.  Where is this happening where crew are no longer allowed to leave the ship?  

Fact-based, please.

Anthem of the Seas in the UK 3 weeks ago. Only allowed to leave occasionally in a bubble.

When we visited Greenock there is a large Tesco Extra (UK supermarket chain) right next to the dock. Groups of crew were allowed off in the bubble that others have already talked about for 1 hour supervised shopping time. We asked our cabin steward if she was getting off and she said no she was not lucky but all those who did took multiple shopping lists for their friends. We called in the store ourselves on our way back to the ship and saw lots of crew in there with loaded up baskets. And yes, we walked up the confectionery aisle and picked up a few sweets and chocolates as a gift for our cabin steward. Sorry if that offends anyone but I still think it was the right thing to do.☺️

• Like 3

14 hours ago, billslowsky said:

They aren't.  We've been on several trips where the room attendant told us he was going to be going off the ship the next afternoon and wouldn't be available for service, so if we wanted something to ask early.  Many work lots of hours but they are not confined to the ship as some would like to make it sound.

Are you talking about prepandemic cruises or now? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kernow said:

Anthem of the Seas in the UK 3 weeks ago. Only allowed to leave occasionally in a bubble.

When we visited Greenock there is a large Tesco Extra (UK supermarket chain) right next to the dock. Groups of crew were allowed off in the bubble that others have already talked about for 1 hour supervised shopping time. We asked our cabin steward if she was getting off and she said no she was not lucky but all those who did took multiple shopping lists for their friends. We called in the store ourselves on our way back to the ship and saw lots of crew in there with loaded up baskets. And yes, we walked up the confectionery aisle and picked up a few sweets and chocolates as a gift for our cabin steward. Sorry if that offends anyone but I still think it was the right thing to do.☺️

In other words, they are not simply confined to the ship.  And they work out contingencies when it's not their stop. 

They are functioning adults.

What?  They have restrictions like everyone else?

Edited by billslowsky
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, kernow said:

And yes, we walked up the confectionery aisle and picked up a few sweets and chocolates as a gift for our cabin steward. Sorry if that offends anyone but I still think it was the right thing to do.☺️

I hope you didn't open the packages first. That would be yucky.🤮

😊

Edited by DirtyDawg
  • Haha 1