The 96 Hour Covid Testing Rule

roger001

4 minutes ago, SpainAlien said:

Not a rule just a recommendation isn't it?

The requirement for testing is only a recommendation, required to have if you want NCL to pay for quarantine cost in case you test positive at the pier.  The 96 hours is a required maximum time frame if you do decide to get the recommended test  

20 minutes ago, Katnisslove said:

I believe it would be Wed.  We are sailing Nov 7th at 4 and when the "recommendation" was 72hrs our window was anytime from Thu-Sun.

Anytime Wednesday, or is it measured from sailing time?   I will assume Wednesday morning would be ok.  

2 hours ago, roger001 said:

The requirement for testing is only a recommendation, required to have if you want NCL to pay for quarantine cost in case you test positive at the pier.  The 96 hours is a required maximum time frame if you do decide to get the recommended test  

I have been reading that NCL is no longer covering the cost of quarantine. Maybe there should be a separate thread just about that.  

Edited by milolii

1 hour ago, EllieinNJ said:

It was 72 hours but when Bermuda allowed 96 hrs so PCR tests could be back in time, NCL also allowed it.  It is a moot point now because NCL did away with it.

So NCL is no longer covering the costs?  For sure?   If so, then the 96 hour test is pointless other than you might wish to determine if you are infected before showing up.  Correct???   Anyone verify that this is the new NCL change of plans?  

2 minutes ago, roger001 said:

So NCL is no longer covering the costs?  For sure?   If so, then the 96 hour test is pointless other than you might wish to determine if you are infected before showing up.  Correct???   Anyone verify that this is the new NCL change of plans?  

I sail on the Jade on Sunday. 10 days prior to our cruise we received the protocol email from NCL. It states that you can get a test 72 hours before the cruise.  If you are negative at that 72 hour time frame, then test positive at the port, you WILL receive assistance from NCL for any items your insurance does not cover.  This verbiage was changed on the NCL website and testing time to 96 hours but I am going with what the actual letter I received says about my particular cruise.  We will get tested after landing in Athens, which will be about 48 hours prior to boarding and we all have insurance. 

6 hours ago, roger001 said:

Nope. The discontinued paying for quarantine a couple of weeks ago and amended their web site. It is now between you and your insurance company. 

I just read the new policy this morning on the NCL website and it clearly states that they suggest a PCR test 96 hours before boarding, but not required. In addition, they will administer a Rapid Antigen Test at the dock prior to boarding at NCL expense.  If you test positive then they will offer a Future Cruise Credit to you and all members of your group.

As suggested in the prior posts above, there is no mention of NCL paying for any expenses for quarantine or travel back to your home.  It would appear that you are responsible for those costs.

You gotta love how they sneak these changes into policy; so please read daily so no surprises.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, ricksurf said:

You gotta love how they sneak these changes into policy; so please read daily so no surprises.

It’s not sneaking. Policies, procedures, requirements are, and always have been, subject to change. It’s your responsibility to keep yourself informed, as ricksurf suggests. 

8 minutes ago, Altamira said:

It’s not sneaking. Policies, procedures, requirements are, and always have been, subject to change. It’s your responsibility to keep yourself informed, as ricksurf suggests. 

Well, this response shows that you obviously don't understand how this all works 😉

Rule #1 is to apply a label with a negative connotation. ("sneaking", "bait-and-switch", "fine print", etc.) so that you can rally against the label instead of the underlying facts.

Rule #2 is to use the label to frame everything as someone else's fault. Think "cruise line bad", "pier worker bad", "phone rep bad", "me victim".

Rule #3 is to use social media sites (including CC) to trumpet your victimhood keeping in mind that anyone who disagrees with you is a nutjob while everyone who does agree just serves as ironclad proof that you are right.

Which leads to Rule #4 which, of course, is never to read policies, procedures, requirements, terms and conditions, etc. unless you are reading them to win an online argument.

Yep.  Unless I missed it somewhere, previous mention of "assistance" in the event you are quarantined, including a daily room service provision if quarantined at a hotel, no longer there.  Gone.  So the 96 (or 72) hour testing means nothing.  If you want to check just for you own confidence, then do it conveniently whenever you wish.  NCL does still mention the 96 hour testing as suggested, but other than you own personal satisfaction you get nothing for it if later positive.  Yea, yea, yea, I know, we all are supposed to read all the information carefully, be responsible for our own actions, etc.  But, since the NCL assistance offer was out there previously, many folks I imagine still consider it as available.  Unlike most of us apparently do, read this stuff daily, some folks got a life and are not aware.    And as mentioned by a previous post, refunds in case you are positive at the port are only FCC, not money. 

Edited by roger001

55 minutes ago, SeaShark said:

Well, this response shows that you obviously don't understand how this all works 😉

Rule #1 is to apply a label with a negative connotation. ("sneaking", "bait-and-switch", "fine print", etc.) so that you can rally against the label instead of the underlying facts.

Rule #2 is to use the label to frame everything as someone else's fault. Think "cruise line bad", "pier worker bad", "phone rep bad", "me victim".

Rule #3 is to use social media sites (including CC) to trumpet your victimhood keeping in mind that anyone who disagrees with you is a nutjob while everyone who does agree just serves as ironclad proof that you are right.

Which leads to Rule #4 which, of course, is never to read policies, procedures, requirements, terms and conditions, etc. unless you are reading them to win an online argument.

It amazes me how many people seemingly continue to do business with a company they “believe” to be crooked, money grubbing, thieves. I am also unaware of any business where making money isn’t the goal, even charitable organizations want as much money as possible.
The idea that they also think a cruise line would rather screw people over once, somehow failing to understand they will make more money by building a loyal customer base with happy cruisers is also somewhat mind boggling. Either people are completely illogical or some people are just not happy if they can’t blame others for their failures, complain and play victim.

after doing some digging around i was able to find under frequently asked questions on Norwegian website . the question asked was If I am denied boarding, will i receive assistance with travel arrangements?

. answer was If a guest is denied boarding due to a positive Covid-Test at embarkment, the cruise line will coordinate and cover cost for travel arrangements for that guest and those traveling with them if they are also denied boarding. the cruise line will not be able to assist with travel arrangements if a guest is denied boarding as a result of a violating the cruise lines health and safety protocols

Just now, DAVLIB007 said:

after doing some digging around i was able to find under frequently asked questions on Norwegian website . the question asked was If I am denied boarding, will i receive assistance with travel arrangements?

. answer was If a guest is denied boarding due to a positive Covid-Test at embarkment, the cruise line will coordinate and cover cost for travel arrangements for that guest and those traveling with them if they are also denied boarding. the cruise line will not be able to assist with travel arrangements if a guest is denied boarding as a result of a violating the cruise lines health and safety protocols

so that would be where the testing before you leave 96 hour comes into play. I could not find the info that was on here  about helping with quarantine if you took a test before you left. so they did remove just recently wish i would have printed it out oh well

15 hours ago, debenson0723 said:

I sail on the Jade on Sunday. 10 days prior to our cruise we received the protocol email from NCL. It states that you can get a test 72 hours before the cruise.  If you are negative at that 72 hour time frame, then test positive at the port, you WILL receive assistance from NCL for any items your insurance does not cover.  This verbiage was changed on the NCL website and testing time to 96 hours but I am going with what the actual letter I received says about my particular cruise.  We will get tested after landing in Athens, which will be about 48 hours prior to boarding and we all have insurance. 

do you have the actual letter would love to have a copy for myself

35 minutes ago, DAVLIB007 said:

Yep.  Thanks.  It is still there.   I'm going to email them and try to get it specific for me. 

https://www.ncl.com/faq#!#if-i-am-denied-boarding-will-i-receive-assistance-travel-arrangements

4 hours ago, Reese15233 said:

It amazes me how many people seemingly continue to do business with a company they “believe” to be crooked, money grubbing, thieves. I am also unaware of any business where making money isn’t the goal, even charitable organizations want as much money as possible.
The idea that they also think a cruise line would rather screw people over once, somehow failing to understand they will make more money by building a loyal customer base with happy cruisers is also somewhat mind boggling. Either people are completely illogical or some people are just not happy if they can’t blame others for their failures, complain and play victim.

Don’t understand your conclusion. COVID pandemic response on all cruise lines protocols are dynamic.

Royal has changed their protocols and what is/is not covered a lot more than NCL. For example, on our cruise, RCCL paid for COVID testing at checkin. The next week, passengers had to pay for their own testing. One week they paid for passenger quarantine and transportation, the next week they required unvaxxed passengers to show up at checkin with travel insurance to cover the costs. One week they were paying for private air charters to get people home. The next week they were leaving passengers in local quarantine facilities and “assisting” with onward travel (call airlines and rebook at your expense).