Breakaway skipping Bermuda today (October 27)

Turtles06

We are doing 9.9 knots right now; it barely feels like we’re moving. 

The folks at the Shorex Desk have been incredible. Yesterday, they had to juggle today’s excursions for the expected late arrival.  And today, they had to cancel those, rebook people, and move tomorrow’s shorex to later times. And still they’ve already delivered new tickets to us for tomorrow. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, snorklinbarb said:

I was on 9/26 and we never heard any info although I read here there was supposedly a spa crew member so others were also quarantined.

Nobody was able to really verify the rumor.

How did you find this out?  Are you by chance on the ship now or you heard it from someone who is?

This is exactly the reason why someone said for the solos on Royal's Oasis out of NJ that dining alone was awkward. Stranger Danger is right in COVID times. I dined alone and was fine with it. I enjoyed the ship and the crew were not that busy since it was less than 50% capacity. They wouldn't seat you with anyone in the dining room that was not in your room unless you linked the reservations prior to sailing.

Thanks for posting the video link Lil2Angelic

6 hours ago, mking8288 said:

Turtles, is the BA doing donut loops south of the islands b/c that huge Nor-Easter isn't moving northeast away further away, wind & sea swells and waves will be shifting ... expect more gentle rocking & rolling from what I can see and understood on my Windy App for Bermuda & Atlantic.  Bringing her into Dockyard with high tides can still be challenging ... folks might end up with mostly an extended CTN or just a quick few hours ashore.  Feeling bad and sorry about that 😔 but do make the most out of that 1:1 staff to guest ratio. 

Enjoy the ship & dance with the wind 🧐

from my Google Pixel 3aXL on Android 12

Screenshot_20211027-115944.png

Postscripts - as taken from the official Bermuda Weather Service - 

Thursday - 

Mix of sun & cloud, a couple of showers around, mainly in pm...  Winds westerly moderate to strong, gradually veering west-northwesterly and easing moderate overnight...  High near 26°C/78°F, low near 22°C/72°F. Clear sky

Valid: Today through Friday

Updated: 11:30 am Wednesday, October 27, 2021
Small Craft Warning
Issued when winds of mean speed 20 to 33 knots and/or seas of 9 feet or greater are forecast to affect the marine area within the next 36 hours.
Please refer to the latest forecast for detailed information on conditions likely to affect Bermuda and the surrounding marine area. This is available by logging onto our website at www.weather.bm.

The above warning(s) will be updated as conditions warrant.
- Meteorologist: Gary Hall

I have been tracking the Bermuda marine forecast. It does not look promising for Thu and Fri.

1 hour ago, Laszlo said:

Current wind speeds and direction is the exact same as yesterday. Doesn't look like winds will be in the teens until tonight, single digits for tomorrow morning

Thanks for that info. We are supposed to pick up the pilot at 9am local time (8am ET), so perhaps we’ll known something soon. We had a fairly calm night until a few hours ago, when we started rockin and rollin again. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, cruiservictor said:

9:15AM here. No sign of a pilot boat and we are heading southeast, away from the east end of Bermuda. Just waiting for an announcement from the Captain. 

I don't see them making an attempt until late this after noon. Winds are the same if not gusting a little higher than this time yesterday. 

I don't see a Pilot boat on ship tracker

Edited by Laszlo
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Turtles06 said:

I did not see a pilot boat at 9am as was expected. And just like yesterday morning, we are sailing away from Bermuda.  I’m hoping the Captain makes an announcement soon. 

Real shame they could not have gone somewhere else. The forecast hasn't changed in three days. Winds are not suppose to drop until later today / tonight

• Like 1

It’s after 10am here; the Captain really should make an announcement. It’s obvious to folks paying attention that we won’t be docking this morning, but it would be good to know the plans. (And I’m sure plenty of folks don’t know what’s going on.)

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Turtles06 said:

It’s after 10am here; the Captain really should make an announcement. It’s obvious to folks paying attention that we won’t be docking this morning, but it would be good to know the plans. (And I’m sure plenty of folks don’t know what’s going on.)

Finally! An announcement from the Captain confirming what we have already figured - the weather is still preventing us from docking. They will try again in a few hours. The forecast is not favorable. 😪

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, chrisa2711 said:

Finally! An announcement from the Captain confirming what we have already figured - the weather is still preventing us from docking. They will try again in a few hours. The forecast is not favorable. 😪

Yikes. Sorry.  Sounds like you’ll get a very short stay in Bermuda!  😞 Hopefully you’re enjoying the ship in the meantime!!

Sadly, it appears that you will be skipping Bermuda (SO Close...) again today, October 28. Weather and winds do not look good...

Wishing you all Safe Travels back to New York on what seems to be the first cruise to nowhere in a very long time...

1 hour ago, chrisa2711 said:

Yup.  Winds gusting to 40 knots. I’m glad he explained for those who don’t understand it about the narrow and shallow channel, the force of the wind, and the possibility of very strong gusts making it unsafe to attempt to dock.

We were in an elevator a little while ago with a guy who expressed some annoyance about why we don’t go someplace else, “like Charleston.”  🙄

Edited by Turtles06

1 hour ago, meatball_nyc said:

Sadly, it appears that you will be skipping Bermuda (SO Close...) again today, October 28. Weather and winds do not look good...

Wishing you all Safe Travels back to New York on what seems to be the first cruise to nowhere in a very long time...

Now wait, we may still have tomorrow. 😜

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NYcruzzer said:

I know "Ship Happens" and saftey is always first. Still Sucks,  After all that pre-testing and anxiety/cost of obtaining the Bermuda TA. Wishing all onboard a safe and smooth return to NYC. Enjoy the rest of your trip.

Thanks for the kind words. I was just thinking about the testing hassle, expense, and anxiety.  “Ship” does happen. 

29 minutes ago, Turtles06 said:

Yup.  Winds gusting to 40 knots. I’m glad he explained for those who don’t understand it about the narrow and shallow channel, the force of the wind, and the possibility of very strong gusts making it unsafe to attempt to dock.

We were in an elevator a little while ago with a guy who expressed some annoyance about why we don’t go someplace else, “like Charleston.”  🙄

Considering what the forecast was I'm a little surprised they did not head down to the Bahamas. We missed Bermuda a few years ago because a small hurricane was predicted for them. Didn't find out until we were boarding. We headed to the Bahamas and had two ports cancelled because of rough seas Lol