Seashore St. Thomas stop dropped and so did port charges - Any refund?

Native Floridian 26

The itinerary of our 12/11/21 Seashore has changed to eliminate St. Thomas and add Nassau.  The port charges also went from $150 to $98.  I've had cruise lines give onboard credits at the end of cruise for lower port taxes owed, but is there anything you can do prior to sailing to seek the credit if you're after final payment? 

Edited by Native Floridian 26

8 hours ago, Native Floridian 26 said:

The itinerary of our 12/11/21 Seashore has changed to eliminate St. Thomas and add Nassau.  The port charges also went from $150 to $98.  I've had cruise lines give onboard credits at the end of cruise for lower port taxes owed, but is there anything you can do prior to sailing to seek the credit if you're after final payment? 

8 hours ago, Native Floridian 26 said:

Good Luck. Say by by to the difference.

• Like 2

We lost San Juan, Puerto Rico , St Thomas, And Dominican Republic.
No reduction or refund of Port fees and taxes. 
Cruise was originally booked March 2020 so, many changes to ports. 
we ended up with Nassau and  Jamaica.

Edited by phissy
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, phissy said:

We lost San Juan, Puerto Rico , St Thomas, And Dominican Republic.
No reduction or refund of Port fees and taxes. 
Cruise was originally booked March 2020 so, many changes to ports. 
we ended up with Nassau and  Jamaica.

Have you sailed yet? Prior cruise lines have credited them on the onboard account as refundable on board credit.

Over many cruises, I can recall several OBCs (as OBRs) posted due to reduction in port charges. I would go into the cruise expecting that. If it isn't posted by end of day 2, you'd just have to decide whether it was worth it to pursue it at Guest Relations or not. [Update: These data points were not on MSC but on Royal/Celebrity.]

Edited by publicpersona

3 hours ago, Native Floridian 26 said:

Have you sailed yet? Prior cruise lines have credited them on the onboard account as refundable on board credit.

We sail in 2 weeks. Will report back after cruise.

On NCL, the cruise to Alaska misses ports on a regular basis due to weather.

We usually go every year.

After announcement of port cancellation, Captain had open bar for everyone for 2 hours and DSC for day credited as compensation.

Edited by phissy
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, phissy said:

We sail in 2 weeks. Will report back after cruise.

On NCL, the cruise to Alaska misses ports on a regular basis due to weather.

We usually go every year.

After announcement of port cancellation, Captain had open bar for everyone for 2 hours and DSC for day credited as compensation.

This is MSC, not NCL....😉

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

How times have changed.  We missed a port and had another switched when on Splendida to Japan.  We received OBC (€100 pc IIRC) and 50% off a future cruise!!!!

We were on Meraviglia when she was due to be the first to visit Ocean Caye.  Unfortunately, the island wasn’t ready and we received a percentage of the fare as a voucher for a future cruise.  Ours amounted to €530.  Can’t remember if we got some OBC, too. The info is probably in the review. 

• Like 1

March 5 2022 lost St Thomas 😔 gained Nassau 😡 no communication no OBC, no reason - no comparison between both. My preference is St Thomas 100% I find Nassau annoying. My guess is 70% capacity cruiseline is losing money so they decided no go for St Thomas. 

Lost balcony  to guarantee balcony. Won't know until February. We selected these balconies to sail with family. 😔

So frustrating MSC could have sent an email about changes. Full payment due next month. Flights have been purchased for 7 people. No choice now but to go. I don't know how MSC can make this up but hopefully they do somehow or it will discourage me from booking next cruise. 

FYI- I'm sailing with Carnival B2B after MSC they've sent communication on everything. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Reenie75 said:

March 5 2022 lost St Thomas 😔 gained Nassau 😡 no communication no OBC, no reason - no comparison between both. My preference is St Thomas 100% I find Nassau annoying. My guess is 70% capacity cruiseline is losing money so they decided no go for St Thomas. 

Lost balcony  to guarantee balcony. Won't know until February. We selected these balconies to sail with family. 😔

So frustrating MSC could have sent an email about changes. Full payment due next month. Flights have been purchased for 7 people. No choice now but to go. I don't know how MSC can make this up but hopefully they do somehow or it will discourage me from booking next cruise. 

FYI- I'm sailing with Carnival B2B after MSC they've sent communication on everything. 

If you found Nassau annoying before, they have fully rebounded in the annoying category except for Straw Market gone and several bars not open like Senor Frogs.

11 hours ago, dexddd said:

If you found Nassau annoying before, they have fully rebounded in the annoying category except for Straw Market gone and several bars not open like Senor Frogs.

Every time I think of this it angers me. We've been to Nassau more than 2 handfuls of times. I find the islanders constantly at you to purchase right at the gate. I wish they wouldn't. I'm one to buy from locals but it gets to be a problem then they are blocking your way to walk and cannot take a no thanks have a nice day. 

On 10/30/2021 at 5:29 PM, Beamafar said:

We were on Meraviglia when she was due to be the first to visit Ocean Caye.  Unfortunately, the island wasn’t ready and we received a percentage of the fare as a voucher for a future cruise.  Ours amounted to €530.  Can’t remember if we got some OBC, too.

This happened on our Meraviglia sailing too. We got the OBC but never received any voucher for the future cruise discount. I need to followup on that.

Today MSC asked me to prove my original booking had St Thomas... honestly I was shocked I asked don't you have documentation when I booked and was the original itinerary was? I booked June 2020 for March 12 2022. They said once I could provide it they would review. 🙄 Really?! 

I sent the information so we will see!

Edited by Reenie75
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, KINGBOBOFTHENORTH said:

This happened on our Meraviglia sailing too. We got the OBC but never received any voucher for the future cruise discount. I need to followup on that.

I believe it was only those on the repo from New York to Miami who received a credit voucher, though I’m open to correction on that one. 

12 hours ago, Beamafar said:

I believe it was only those on the repo from New York to Miami who received a credit voucher, though I’m open to correction on that one. 

I've still got the letter from the ship's Captain (handed out at embarkation) indicating the cancellation of the port-of-call at Ocean Cay. We received the OBC and were supposed to receive a voucher later but then covid19 hit and MSC was busy with thousands of cancellations. I will email them a copy of the letter and request the voucher. It's supposed to be good for 20% of our cruise fare which for a 3-nt sailing isn't that much money......but I want it, lol.

• Like 1

On 11/2/2021 at 1:46 AM, Reenie75 said:

March 5 2022 lost St Thomas 😔 gained Nassau 😡 no communication no OBC, no reason.

Lost balcony  to guarantee balcony. We selected these balconies to sail with family. 😔

same, but for April and inside cabins. Chosen to be close with the family. Sigh...

I still have the original invoice with St Thomas, since I booked it 4 months ago. But what good will it do?