Formal night tuxedos

Steirisch

Two years ago on Crystal Cruises, my husband sent out his tuxedo to be pressed and they ruined it.  Of course, they reimbursed us for the cost, but now my husband has no tuxedo.  If we do a Queen Mary 2 cruise, is he allowed to wear a dark suit and tie for a formal night, or is that looked down upon?  I can't see him buying another tuxedo beforehand since this will probably be our last cruise.  Any advice will be appreciated.

3 hours ago, Steirisch said:

Two years ago on Crystal Cruises, my husband sent out his tuxedo to be pressed and they ruined it.  Of course, they reimbursed us for the cost, but now my husband has no tuxedo.  If we do a Queen Mary 2 cruise, is he allowed to wear a dark suit and tie for a formal night, or is that looked down upon?  I can't see him buying another tuxedo beforehand since this will probably be our last cruise.  Any advice will be appreciated.

So sorry to hear this may be your last time to consider sailing. May be another opportunity may come about.

A Dark Suit w Tie is acceptable for a Formal Night thought many men do opt to wear a Tuxedo to fit into the Formality of the Evenings. A Tux adds a aire to the Formal or Theme Evening that is felt thought out the ship.

Your husband will not be looked upon as an outcast but will fit into the evening as. Please look forward to enjoying your opportunity on our favorite ship

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Steirisch said:

A dark suit is fine, but if taking a TA there was, hopefully remains, an unofficial Tux (dark suit) code for many on all evenings except the first and last of each voyage,

• Like 2

2 hours ago, carlmm said:

Just know and realize that he will be one of very few.

Based on my  last 10 or so voyages - more crossings than cruises - I can say it varies. My rough estimation has been no fewer than 50% of men in tuxedos in Britannia . In the Grills it has been close to 100% formal and never lower than 90%. Those who have travelled more than I have may have  different observations.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, carlmm said:

Just know and realize that he will be one of very few.

In my experience on several QM2 sailings there seemed to be close to 90% wearing dinner jacket and 10% in dark suit.   If you are really not likely to cruise on a traditional line again - or to have other formal occasions to attend, the dark suit will do.

4 hours ago, PORT ROYAL said:

A dark suit is fine, but if taking a TA there was, hopefully remains, an unofficial Tux (dark suit) code for many on all evenings except the first and last of each voyage,

My understanding is that on the 24 "non-Formal" nights on the 28 night January Caribbean cruise (QM2) coming up even a jacket is not a requirement so the "unofficial Tux (dark suit) code for many" sounds well out of line these days.

Having said that, wear whatever suits you, as long as it is not excluded by the guide-lines, and if any strange people appear to be disapproving simply ignore them and pity them for their petty prejudices. It's a holiday!

Edited by bbtablet

May I suggest another option?

My DH has bought all of his tuxedos at thrift/charity stores.  If you have time to shop between now and cruise time, a perfect one might be found.  DH's are all high-end, worn perhaps only once, and perfect fit (the most important part).  So, rather than spending $1,000, one could spend under $100, wear it once (if you truly will not be cruising again), and then donate it back.

If, in the end, nothing turns up, there is still the option of the dark suit.

• Like 4

Thanks for the help everyone.  My mind is at rest.  

The reason this may be our last cruise is my husband's eyesight is getting worse and worse.  But he does love cruising, so maybe just the feeling of being on the sea will be enough.  Cheers.

• Like 2

As a devotee of old travel films-in the days of the Atlantic Ferry-esp on QE and QM, there were always gents in dark suits in the restaurant-they were probably traveling on business, very frequent travelers and they packed as lightly as possible. They did not look out of place -and one will not today. Enjoy!

• Like 1

One final possibility is to simply hire a tuxedo on board the QM2.  I have done this on three TA crossings. I guess the length of your cruise will determined whether you think this is good value.  One hint though: be sure to bring your own bow tie as they don't  provide these. I forgot this once - and had to buy a tie to match my rented tux!

• Like 1

With the 100 anniversary of the Cunard world cruise coming up in 2023 I have been on the look out for a 1920's tuxedo jacket and found one at an estate sale last weekend. Great wide collar double breasted one that fits perfectly and at the price of $5. So one can find a full tux at such sales assuming the man of the house died in your husband's size, Not always possible but worth a look around. If no success the dark suit will stand you in good stead. Add a dark tie or do the Soprano look with a black shirt and white tie.

• Like 1

As to laundry and pressing. I never have anything pressed on board. Do it my self. On shore I make certain my dry cleaning is NEVER pressed only steamed to get the wrinkles out. Pressing lapels and ties makes the reverse stitching show and it never goes away.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Steirisch said:

Thanks for the help everyone.  My mind is at rest.  

The reason this may be our last cruise is my husband's eyesight is getting worse and worse.  But he does love cruising, so maybe just the feeling of being on the sea will be enough.  Cheers.

Steirisch,

I totally agree about the feeling on the sea.

My Dear Dad was a longtime Cunarder and also enjoyed sailing. On his last two sailing dealt with Progressive Macular Degeneration. He enjoyed with the help of the staff to get around. Enjoying the pool, listening to Showtime, Queens Rm Band. The excitement of Tea Time and still interesting conversation. And sitting outside and just listening to the ocean.

I wish you and your husband with your decision...

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, LewiLewi said:

Has anyone cruised on the QE during these past few months? Is the dress code still enforced or has it become more casual as far as evening attire for men?

On Cunard the published evening dress code will always be enforced in specific venues.
Cunard will also advise as to the venues where a pax, who may desire a to wear more casual apparel, may frequent, together with the dress that is deemed acceptable in said venue.

All codes and acceptable dress levels are published by Cunard.

Kohl1957: "We are on the 14 January West Indies Cruise in QM2.... and shall ignore the revised "dress code".  We are in Princess Grill and plan on eight formal nights (d/j and gowns)..."

Out of interest, do you mean that irrespective of the actual specific Cunard-designated number of Formal Nights you intend to dress formally on eight occasions? If so that is of course up to you.

But I am not clear whether you believe there will be eight Cunard designated Formal Nights on that 28 day cruise, whereas Cunard have already specified that, unusually, there will be only four.