The Daily for Sunday October 31, 2021

richwmn

Today is Carve a Pumpkin Day, Halloween, and Increase Your Psychic Powers Day

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific. - Lily Tomlin"

Meal suggestion for today - Garlic Sriracha Pork Stir Fry

Drink of the Day - Tom Collins

Wine of the day - Penfolds Koonunga Hill Chardonnay - Australia - White

Destination of the Day - Icy Strait Point Alaska US

Ships with Passengers

At Sea Atlantic
Rotterdam

At Sea Caribbean
Nieuw Amsterdam destination Miami FL US eta today

Given the schedule and destination, I suspect a medical evacuation

Cartagena, SP
Eurodam 11:00 – 20:00

San Diego
Koningsdam CA US 07:00 - 16:00

Ships without Passengers

At Sea Pacific
Noordam Destination Los Angeles CA US eta 10/31

Corfu GR
Volendam
Zaandam

Great Stirrup Cay
Nieuw Statendam Anchorage

Long Beach CA US
Zuiderdam

Puerto Vallarta MX
Westerdam

Scheveningen NL
Oosterdam Anchorage

1031World.thumb.png.f50da741834f86cbd22cdeb8df7cc6d7.png

• Like 31
  • Thanks 11

Good morning.  Thanks for the Daily Report.

Happy Hallowe'en!

Love the quote.

The dinner suggestion sounds good, but we're having ribs.

I know I'd like the drink of the day and the wine too.

Looking forward to seeing lots of pictures of today's destination.

Prayers for everyone.

Stay safe.

• Like 26

Good morning everyone and thanks for the daily report.  Good idea to carve a pumpkin on Halloween 🎃.  Im not sure I have any psychic powers to increase.  Funny line by Lily Tomlin.  The meal suggestion sounds very nice as does a Tom Collins.  Have not been to today’s port, but close. Prayers for everyone on our prayer list today and cheers to everyone celebrating a happy event.  Careful of stray witches and goblins!

• Like 26

Happy Sunday.  Haven't carved a pumpkin since I retired from teaching.  Happy Halloween.  And I have no psychic powers but I do get a gut feeling sometimes and listen to it.

Lily Tomlin has a unique sense of humor.  I've enjoyed her for years.

Will skip the meal, it sounds spicy.

Have been to Icy Strait, will hunt for photo's.

Prayers and toasts to our lists.  Thank you all for prayers for my friends.

Stay safe, social distance, and wear your mask.

Tom Collins:

The Tom Collins is a Collins cocktail made from gin, lemon juice, sugar, and carbonated water. First memorialized in writing in 1876 by Jerry Thomas, "the father of American mixology", this "gin and sparkling lemonade" drink is typically served in a Collins glass over ice. Wikipedia
Main alcohol: Gin
Ingredients: 1 1/2 oz Old Tom Gin, 1/2 oz sugar syrup, 1 oz freshly squeezed lemon juice, 2 oz carbonated water
Preparation: Mix the gin, lemon juice and sugar syrup in a tall glass with ice, top up with soda water, garnish and serve.
Served: On the rocks; poured over ice
Standard garnish: Lemon slice, Maraschino cherry
Drinkware: Collins glass

Screen Shot 2021-10-31 at 7.15.13 AM.png

• Like 23
  • Thanks 8

Thank you for the Halloween Daily, Rich.  I don't think I've even tried to carve a pumpkin since my age was a single digit, and I have no known psychic powers.  The Tomlin quote is funny  I've been to Icy Strait just once, and it was on Radiance of the Seas. Not sure about the meal.  I like pork but stir fry not so much.  My alternative is Strawberry Bisque, Oven Roasted Chicken, and Apricot Strudel, my final dinner on MS Amsterdam October 31, 2017:

https://solocabinchallenge.files.wordpress.com/2017/10/dishes31.jpg

Today’s care list:

Welfare of furloughed crews
cunorl’s sister hospitalized with lymphona and DH’s sister recovering from stroke
kakalina with spreading lung cancer going into hospice
summer slope’s friend Frank with back surgery November 3 and his stressed wife Rita
marshhawk’s DH recovering from vascular surgery(doing well)
From the rotation:
LaPalma
Mamaofami’s friend in hospice
HAL Sailor DH health issues

Celebrations and Shoutouts

Bon Voyage   SusieKIslandGirl
4 BHB with passengers
Front Line Health Care Workers
Welcome home Vict0riann and @sailingdutchy
1Angelcat biopsy complete (awaiting results)
durangoscot’s shelter director back at work
Norseh20 great visit with DM and other family
57redbird covid negative and surgery scheduled for November 29
Lady President  and Gail& Marty  at sea
Staff Captain Sabine, HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

• Like 34
  • Thanks 9

Good Morning Everyone,  thanks for the daily report.  Today's meal suggestion sounds good I interested in the recipes from @dfish.  A rainy morning here but hopefully it will clear up in a few hours. Yesterday errand run has me going through Kohl's clearance racks.  I found some pet beds at 5.08.  Amelia took to one of them fairly quickly. 20211030_124818.thumb.jpg.fc2260d116c25d0ba77094138f0db161.jpg

• Like 35

Thank you for today’s Daily, Rich!  

Happy Halloween 🎃!

Thank you for keeping our lists, Roy! Morning Dailyite family!  A chilly 52 here this morning. Hoping the breezes quiet down today, my sinuses are complaining- loudly! Looking forward to catching up later, off to the gym early. 

@Horizon chaser 1957, the package came! Will try to find time later in between the festivities to try it on & share a pic. 

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating! Stay well everyone!

Penfolds Koonunga Hill Chardonnay

A very available wine with very good ratings and a great price. Many online distributors with prices starting at $9.99!

Wine notes
Koonunga Hill Chardonnay reflects Penfolds' multi-region, multi-vineyard blending policy, which enables winemakers to source the best parcels of fruit to produce consistently high quality wines from each vintage. A light to medium bodied Chardonnay with distinctive primary fruit characters, sustained intensity and a subtle underlay of moderate oak.

• Like 24
  • Thanks 8

Good morning, all!

Love the quote.

I just booked B2B for Alaska starting 6/1/22 but they're the same inside passage itineraries.  I've never sailed Alaska and figured I'd find plenty of excursions I'd want to do on each port stop.  I do with Icy Straight Point was included, but it is not.

Tom Collins.  Haven't had one in years.  I'm not a fan of sugary drinks, but the lemon helps offset the sweetness.

I actually think I have some psychic abilities.  I've had a few premonitions.  Nothing extreme, just getting that "buzz" and feeling someone I knew was nearby, then seeing them walk into view.  And I've seen ghosts. 👻

• Like 30

Thanks for the Daily, Rich and our Sunday smile 🙂 

Great collection of days.  Haven’t carved a pumpkin in years.  I have a better use for pumpkins:

C8CF8FAC-2CAE-4517-8840-E3123A57EEB9.thumb.jpeg.473cffb4c242dfdd245ff5ebdfcab902.jpeg

Happy Hallowe’en !!

BBB25B61-37C5-4B2C-8C4A-21A7004B5E7A.jpeg.24a5ae8b335833445de406a3a095fcd2.jpeg

LOL on the Lily Tomlin quote.  Love her sense of humour 😉   Not sure what’s on the menu tonight but it will be something quick to keep an eye on the kiddies and make sure the treats don’t run out 😉 

It’s pouring rain out there and I mean teaming.  It’s supposed to die off by tonight for the kiddies.  I sure hope so.  I guess that means it will be housework today since I can’t work outside.  I am NOT in the mood 😉 

20553125-C409-463F-A614-14403DEE3DB0.jpeg.764a5dac46d67307742846da8f43552d.jpeg

Prayers for everyone on the Care list & for those that need them and 🥂 to those on the Celebratory / Shout Out list.

Have a Happy Hallowe’en and great Sunday everyone !!!!

D85DD464-3DCB-4A24-91C6-438BDCAE6CA2.jpeg.0d394c7173fcf50b1991cb9c2e1a5a1f.jpeg

Stay safe & please don’t forget your 😷 

• Like 32
  • Haha 11

Good Morning. Happy Haloween!

Thanks for the daily and th care list.

Our band played at a luau yesterday afternoon. It was held at a beautiful park in Venice, Florida. They had over 200 in attendance. It was gloomy with periods of rain in the morning. We didn't know if it would be cancelled. Then it cleared, the sun came out and it was beautiful weather - nice breeze and low humidity. We all had a good time and enjoyed good food.

Stay safe everyone.

• Like 30

Good Morning everyone! Thank you Rich for the Daily Report, and thank you Roy for the Cares and Celebrations Report. And thank you everyone for caring and sharing!  Happy Halloween!

Sitting watching for the Koningsdam to come up on the San Diego Live webcam. Marine Traffic is showing an ETA at 05:30.

After our two trips "Down Under" we went on an Australian wine kick. At the time, we preferred Lindemans Bin 65. "You can never go wrong with Bin 65!" a waiter in Halifax, Nova Scotia told us one time! On a similar note, always get a kick with the Australian pronunciation of Shiraz wine.

• Like 29

Good morning, everyone.

We  have a light drizzle this morning.   We've been assured it will clear up and be partly sunny and 55 degrees by Trick or Treat time.

Today's meal sounds very tasty.  I like things on the spicy side, so this might be worth a try. I only found two recipes to choose from today because they are all pretty much the same.  

https://www.punchfork.com/recipe/Garlic-Sriracha-Pork-Stir-Fry-Delish

831818080_garlicsrirachaporkstirfry.jpg.ec086cd98e17da510fda4ec23f4a9959.jpg

This next one has a little different twist on the seasonings:  https://leencuisine.com/2020/10/26/garlic-sriracha-pork-stir-fry/

1672599111_Garlicsrirachaporkstirfry2.jpg.a4cad2be82cbf7675c728a56a7862824.jpg

• Like 30
  • Thanks 8

Happy Halloween! 🎃👻🍬 Good morning, Friends. Thank you for the Daily, the Lists and the Recipes.

I haven't carved a pumpkin since my youngest children were young teens, (11-12 years ago). No known psychic powers here although my children would disagree.

The meal sounds good as long as it isn't too spicy or if the spice can be omitted.

Funny quote.

Decorating for Trunk or Treat was postponed to this morning so we will head to the stables in about an hour. Then back home to paint, install doors and trim and work on the shower. I will paint the last door for the main floor today. 🎉 DH says we should be able to shower on main floor by next Sunday. 🥳

@rafinmdRoy, we're still caring about you. 😉

@summer slopeany update on Frank and Rita?

@StLouisCruisersit looks like we have a chance of drying out some today.

@Norseh2oyour trip/family visits sound wonderful.

Wishing everyone a safe and not so spooky Halloween.

🙏 and 🎉 for those on our lists.

• Like 29

We stopped at Icy Straight Point in September on our Nieuw Amsterdam cruise to Alaska.  We had a great time while there.  We rode the gondolas and checked out all the gift shops.  We finally ended up at the smokehouse for Halibut Fish and Chips.   Mmmmm good. 

2046441319_ISP1.thumb.jpg.5b97d926de08a0c783371ea553aadbf1.jpg

1460641861_ISP2.thumb.jpg.73637e30e6aab1783270e737b1088fd6.jpg

• Like 33
  • Thanks 5

Good afternoon from a wet and windy North east coast of England.

We have just left church where it was All Saints Day today.

Tonight it is Commemoration of the faithful departed at church.

Thank you Rich for today's daily and Roy for all the lists.

When I was a child we carved faces on Turnips and put a candle inside as there was no Pumpkins then for Halloween.

We believe in Psychic spiritual mediums and Pauline has seen several who were excellent.

Nice food and drink today.

Interesting quote.

We have never been to today's port so looking forward to seeing photos.

Prayers 🙏 for all on our care list.

Take care and stay safe.

Graham.

16356819200888840393141735997384.jpg

Screenshot_20211031_120323.jpg

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 29
  • Thanks 2

13 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

We have just left church where it was All Saints Day today.

Tonight it is Commemoration of the faithful departed at church.

In the US we consider tomorrow All Saints Day and will celebrate next week.

Roy

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

Happy Halloween friends!  As @JAM37said it looks like today will be a very nice day.  This afternoon we will have full sunshine and 65F which sounds great for the kiddies.   However, since we live in a 55+ community there will be no trick or treating here.  Actually it's been well over a decade since a child rang our doorbell on Halloween.  I don't even have a piece of candy in the house!  Yesterday wasn't a very nice day and that forced the cancellation of a neighborhood Shrimp Boil.  It will be held at the end of my street on the circle midafternoon today instead. 

Today's port was a new one for us on our last Alaska cruise, taken on the Amsterdam in 2019.  It was great seeing all the different ports the 14 day cruise stopped at.  We had an enjoyable visit there though we didn't ride the zip line.  We watched others come down the mountain and enjoyed taking photos of them and seeing their excitement. 

The pork stir fry listed for today sounds a little too spicy for me.  DH would love it though.  I don't even have a pumpkin to carve in my house and it's been years since we carved one for Halloween.  I don't know that I have any psychic abilities but I always enjoy hearing of other people's experiences with seeing a medium or even hearing of their own abilities.  I enjoyed the Lily Tomlin quote.  She's so fun!  

Prayers sent for our friends and family on the Care list and congrats to those celebrating happy events.  Yesterday I texted my late sister's two daughters and sent them a photo of a wedding shower gift "they" gave me 52 years ago.  One of them was 6 and the other 3 months old at the time.  My dear sister wrapped a set of Pyrex glass refrigerator dishes and put their names on the gift.  One of my bridesmaids kept a detailed list of gifts and who gave them for me.  I told the two of them I think of them and their Mother every time we use them which is constantly around here.  They were very happy to hear that story and thanked me for telling them that.  They of course had no idea.  And don't we love a gift that lasts forever and is so useful?  I know I do!!

Have a safe and happy Halloween!!

Edited by StLouisCruisers
  • Like 35

Good morning all. Have had trouble posting so hope this works. Today is also Reformation Day celebrated in the Lutheran and Calvinist church, the day that Martin Luther nailed the 95 thesis to the church door in Wittenberg Germany. It is assumed he chose All Hallows’ Eve because of the traffic in church and to reach the widest audience. My Lutheran roots are showing. 

cheers to those celebrating and prayers for those on the care list. 

Happy Halloween 

• Like 29
  • Thanks 1

Good Morning!

Had to come on early to post my Halloween greeting.  Now am back to share.

Thank you to Rich, Roy, the F&B Department and the rest of you Dailyites.  Hugs to the care list and cheers to those celebrating.

Today marks my 20th anniversary on Cruise Critic.  By my post count you can see I have mostly been a lurker 😆

We were in Icy Strait Point only once.  It was during a repositioning cruise from San Francisco to Vancouver via Alaska on the =X= Mercury in April/May, 2008.  This was before you could dock, so Mercury was anchored and we tendered to shore.  There wasn't a lot to do there back then -- think they had the zip line.  It was a beautiful spot, tho.  We just walked around, went in the shops, etc. then headed back to ship where we had a ring side seat for the whale show.

100_2765.thumb.jpg.76a3a1a164917dd9acd18b2a2e660118.jpg

100_2757.thumb.jpg.6d9e01c40d5f2e025e3c3e4281cdaff9.jpg

100_2755.thumb.jpg.d373d9e41ed2913b743d6dfc68f8ce9b.jpg

100_2770.thumb.jpg.84e5b54951d435ca8513d98d5be43aba.jpg

100_2777.thumb.jpg.805aaabe717a4a938b72c9cd60e0dead.jpg

100_2764.thumb.jpg.757ca05cc458c042ad44b1efce1e40a1.jpg

100_2762.thumb.jpg.41889c02a8fa17a8c076f24c6379abb9.jpg

100_2761.thumb.jpg.5ad21731dded77dcdcb0c610c4bf2b8a.jpg

100_2760.thumb.jpg.8bd08fa96e3e05b0684dcf38c7df63ef.jpg

Kay

Edited by kb4683
  • Like 31