The Ruby is back!

Beth Y

17 minutes ago, Beth Y said:

We had a lovely sail away from San Francisco this afternoon.  There are only 1,300 passengers on this ship, which holds 3,000.  It's great to be back on a cruise! 😊😊😊

Thanks for posting.  Hope we get more live reports from on board.  Nice to see yet another ship back to sea with passengers.

• Like 2

We're booked to sail on Ruby 11/27.  Very curious about the music band lineup and how they will rotate amongst the various venues.  Please post Patter if you are willing/able.  

Happy sailing.  Enjoy the extra space and attentive service. And thank you for posting.

Things are good on the Ruby. We had dinner in the Crown Grill last night. Beef tenderloin tartar, goat cheese salad, lamb chops, and salted caramel brule cheesecake. It was all great but the cheesecake was the greatest. Promenade deck is open all the way around. Staff seems delighted to be sailing again. We have a great cabin. Very happy camper here.

Embarkation went well. We arrived early and waited about 45 minutes in the PES waiting area. No priority was given there - we boarded at the same time. We were on the ship by 11:15.

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, Sea Hag said:

Not sure what's up with CC. Just tried to post that we're seeing whales from our balcony, and the post went off into the ozone.

Oh how exciting about the whales. It is late in the season for the whales. We sail out next Sunday after your sailing. Please post loads of updates but make your trip the priority.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sea Hag said:

Things are good on the Ruby. We had dinner in the Crown Grill last night. Beef tenderloin tartar, goat cheese salad, lamb chops, and salted caramel brule cheesecake. It was all great but the cheesecake was the greatest. Promenade deck is open all the way around. Staff seems delighted to be sailing again. We have a great cabin. Very happy camper here.

Embarkation went well. We arrived early and waited about 45 minutes in the PES waiting area. No priority was given there - we boarded at the same time. We were on the ship by 11:15.

Are you saying they let the folks in PES lounge go at the same time as everyone else, or that from the PES lounge the Elites & Suites did not go ahead of Platinums?  Sounds like they weren't assigning A,B,C group cards.  Perhaps they thought numbers were low enough to not bother.  Nice boarding time - 11:15 is great.

Can anyone comment on the following who are actually onboard now:

(1) How is the condition inside the ship? New carpeting (coming out of drydock)? Any leaks?

(2) How is the buffet? Food selection? Is the setup fine since you can't pick plate yourself?

(3) How's the quality of the food at the MDR?

(4) Any live music in the daytime?

Share your impressions (good/bad) on the Ruby and give us a feel on what the environment is like.

I love sailing under the GG bridge! Thanks @Beth Yfor starting this live from. I join the ship Nov 22. If it’s not too much to ask, I’d greatly appreciate if you and anyone else currently onboard could post your experience with cigarette smoke from the new aft promenade deck crew smoking area on a thread I started.  Thank you in advance and I hope you have a great cruise 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, HaveDogWillTravel said:

I love sailing under the GG bridge! Thanks @Beth Yfor starting this live from. I join the ship Nov 22. If it’s not too much to ask, I’d greatly appreciate if you and anyone else currently onboard could post your experience with cigarette smoke from the new aft promenade deck crew smoking area on a thread I started.  Thank you in advance and I hope you have a great cruise 

Thank you @HaveDogWillTravel for mentioning this and asking for input. I have learned that the "squeaky wheel gets the grease" and the more exposure to authorities the better! Recently, our neighbors, myself and DH have been the designated PAI for our small city, exposing our road as an illegal truck route. We are making progress!

• Thanks 1

Tuesday was a beautiful day on Catalina Island.  It was my first visit there.  For those with mobility challenges like me, the tender was very rocky to board in the morning with a big step up, although it was easier to get back onto the ship in the afternoon.  I shopped a little in Avalon, and had a delicious lobster roll for lunch at the Lobster Trap.

The MDR food is just average.  Many were disappointed that Prime Rib was not served on the first night (although it was served Tuesday night, and it was nice).  The Beef Medallions weren't good on Monday (tasted like an overcooked steak).  The beef options have been very few.  The MDR service is prompt at breakfast and dinner.  All of the crew have been great, and they're very happy to be working again. As far as entertainment, the production show was good, but the magician and the comedian were just average.   Today we're in LA.  I'm going to stay onboard and enjoy an empty ship.

E05DCBA8-45C2-4E2E-BE1C-40EC855DC32C.jpeg

1BDA50FA-C272-4DD9-B6E1-A13A45BCA13C.jpeg

7A21F867-95F5-4FAF-8BB7-79F7B6097C2C.jpeg

74943C10-FAD7-467D-BBB6-E29AAD08AFD9.jpeg

409B338F-119D-4EFC-9573-5D735F4FE01E.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, Beth Y said:

Tuesday was a beautiful day on Catalina Island.  It was my first visit there.  For those with mobility challenges like me, the tender was very rocky to board in the morning with a big step up, although it was easier to get back onto the ship in the afternoon.  I shopped a little in Avalon, and had a delicious lobster roll for lunch at the Lobster Trap.

The MDR food is just average.  Many were disappointed that Prime Rib was not served on the first night (although it was served Tuesday night, and it was nice).  The Beef Medallions weren't good on Monday (tasted like an overcooked steak).  The beef options have been very few.  The MDR service is prompt at breakfast and dinner.  All of the crew have been great, and they're very happy to be working again. As far as entertainment, the production show was good, but the magician and the comedian were just average.   Today we're in LA.  I'm going to stay onboard and enjoy an empty ship.

E05DCBA8-45C2-4E2E-BE1C-40EC855DC32C.jpeg

1BDA50FA-C272-4DD9-B6E1-A13A45BCA13C.jpeg

7A21F867-95F5-4FAF-8BB7-79F7B6097C2C.jpeg

74943C10-FAD7-467D-BBB6-E29AAD08AFD9.jpeg

409B338F-119D-4EFC-9573-5D735F4FE01E.jpeg

Good to hear you had a great day on beautiful Catalina Island.   Catalina is special to me as we spent time there on our honeymoon 40 years ago.  

Could you please let me know if the Terrace pool (aft deck 14) has been/is open?  I keep reading on other posts that it has been closed on the Ruby and other ships either for maintenance, Covid quarantine, etc.  Thank you

Edited by Therese S.

3 hours ago, Beth Y said:

Beth, thank you for the update. Much appreciated.

(1) During the daytime, did you notice any live music around the ship?

(2) If you get the opportunity to sample the buffet or hear from others, let us know your thoughts.

(3) More feedback on the MDR going forward is always welcomed.

Glad you have the ship to yourself today while others go ashore (I enjoy that time when I cruise when I am not in the mood for getting off).