How to check cruise price - once all cabins in your category are sold

Hi, all - 

I've been entering "faux bookings" to check the current prices for our Oasis March 6th sailing (Ocean View - Large Balcony).  So far, it's gone down twice since we bought it - from $1850 down to $1665 when I last had it repriced on 10/29.  However, as of today - the Large Balcony ocean view cabins are all booked up.  For those that check for price drops this way, how do you do that once your cabin category is sold out?  

Thanks!

You'll have to give them a call.

1 minute ago, not-enough-cruising said:

Once your category is sold out, there is no need to continue checking prices.

There is if you are interested in repricing, and you can reprice even after your category is sold out.  I've done it and saved a very pretty penny doing so.

2 minutes ago, DCPIV said:

You'll have to give them a call.

There is if you are interested in repricing, and you can reprice even after your category is sold out.  I've done it and saved a very pretty penny doing so.

How do you reprice when their is no “new lower” price to compare to?? Does a sold out category have a price even though there aren’t rooms available?

Edited by not-enough-cruising
  • Like 1

Just now, not-enough-cruising said:

How do you reprice when their is no “new lower” price to compare to??

You call them and you ask.  I don't know how they do it, but I called and asked when there was a sale going on and my category was sold out.  The lady I spoke with said there had been a reduction, and I received an adjustment.  I can only surmise that they maintain some note of a price even when it's sold out and we don't see it.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, not-enough-cruising said:

How do you reprice when their is no “new lower” price to compare to?? Does a sold out category have a price even though there aren’t rooms available?

You have to call them.  I did that and got a price drop

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DCPIV said:

You call them and you ask.  I don't know how they do it, but I called and asked when there was a sale going on and my category was sold out.  The lady I spoke with said there had been a reduction, and I received an adjustment.  I can only surmise that they maintain some note of a price even when it's sold out and we don't see it.

1 hour ago, molly361 said:

You have to call them.  I did that and got a price drop

thank you both and thank you OP - I didn’t know this, really helpful

• Like 1

On 11/1/2021 at 3:36 PM, binro01 said:

Can a TA do this for you as well? RC will not talk to me about a booking not controlled by them.

Yes, and a GOOD TA will be doing this automatically.

37 minutes ago, SRF said:

I find that most TAs have way too many bookings in the pipe to do this diligently for a protracted period of time. I usually watch my pricing and if I find a drop, I send a quick email to my TA and she takes care of it right quick.

I always went with the assumption that if it’s sold out. No more price changes for me. Now I’ll give her a call a couple of times before sailing to check. 

Edited by binro01

48 minutes ago, SRF said:

Why would they do it, if price went lower all it would do is reduce their commission. If you really  want to check, I would be calling Royal yourself.

Can see the email from my TA now.

Good Morning Jim,,

How are you, guess what the price of your cruise went down $1500........and oh btw price of my commission went down also. :(.

Don't think I will ever see an email like that.....................

Edited by Jimbo

I've been able to check out the prices even with the category sold out - selecting a similar category - and comparing the other discounts like Resident NRD, Instant Savings, Flash Sale, etc. to what I have in my most recent re-pricing.  

Interestingly, that single cabin that had been left in our category (Ocean View Large Balcony) - when I was first checking prices is now available again.  So someone must have booked that last cabin and then changed their mind! 

Just be aware that if you reprice your cabin, any perks or OBC that came with your fare may be lost with the new price.

There can also be a problem if the drop is after final payment and the lower price is for new bookings.  One can "cancel" and immediately rebook for the new price, but be sure you take into account any cancellation fees that may apply or the fact that your cabin might be changed.