Anybody onboard currently?

takemewithyou

2 hours ago, takemewithyou said:

Well, here we go…..first negative from our Pursuit Ireland Intensive and I am sad to report this.  We got all dressed in white to go to White Night.  Food was pretty mediocre.  But the worst was the decibel level right from the start.  We have enjoyed the band almost every evening in the LR but tonight their music was different, Really loud party music while we were still trying to make conversation and eat.  

There was no easing into the party with slower music to get people started.  It went right into loud party music and never stopped!  We actually asked staff to get the music toned down during the beginning of the evening and it never happened so…we left!  First time in many Azamara cruises we couldn’t take the loud music!  Pretty disappointed.

Oh well, we need a good nights sleep.

We found the decibel level creeping up on consecutive cruises in the few years prior to covid and had several conversations with various crew members in authoritative positions.

On our last cruise (first post covid) in February, the decibel level was consistently above the safe level of 85 and at times over 100.

We had enjoyed music and dancing over our previous 30 cruises, but on this occasion, after the first day or so we actively avoided certain areas during "entertainment."

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, Baynanno1 said:

We found the decibel level creeping up on consecutive cruises in the few years prior to covid and had several conversations with various crew members in authoritative positions.

On our last cruise (first post covid) in February, the decibel level was consistently above the safe level of 85 and at times over 100.

We had enjoyed music and dancing over our previous 30 cruises, but on this occasion, after the first day or so we actively avoided certain areas during "entertainment."

It's just my theory but . . .

People in charge of playing music today (on ships or in clubs) grew up using headphones and earbuds with very loud music.  They no longer know how loud music is because they damaged their hearing irreparably.  Those of us who grew up playing records on a turntable do not have this problem. Our parents would have shut us down.😃

• Like 7

If there's someone aboard the Pursuit who has a spare moment, could they check with guest relations and ask who books the rooms for events. If we wanted to have a gathering of a small group in the living room, the den the patio bar who would be our contact? My feeling is that it's someone on the cruise director staff, but each cruise line I'm sure has their own method of handling that. Thank you in advance. Not traveling till August so I have a little bit of time for my projects

9 hours ago, takemewithyou said:

Well, here we go…..first negative from our Pursuit Ireland Intensive and I am sad to report this.  We got all dressed in white to go to White Night.  Food was pretty mediocre.  But the worst was the decibel level right from the start.  We have enjoyed the band almost every evening in the LR but tonight their music was different, Really loud party music while we were still trying to make conversation and eat.  

There was no easing into the party with slower music to get people started.  It went right into loud party music and never stopped!  We actually asked staff to get the music toned down during the beginning of the evening and it never happened so…we left!  First time in many Azamara cruises we couldn’t take the loud music!  Pretty disappointed.

Oh well, we need a good nights sleep.

Sorry to hear that. Loud music is fine in a dance club, but anywhere else it ruins the moment. 

• Like 1

Sorry to hear about the noise level (no pun intended). On our last cruise we only went to White Night to dance after dinner downstairs. My Apple Watch was constantly highlighting loud environment to me (at one point 90db) so we left. 
Tgg is right the next generation has very different perception about what is loud to us. I’ve never heard anyone complain the music is to quiet onboard but I’ve often heard it be criticised as too loud. 
On Onward the Living Room was “painful”. We stopped going. 

Edited by uktog
  • Like 3

31 minutes ago, travelberlin said:

I only go to the white party after dinner and only to get the dessert. I have realized about it being to loud also so I try to find a place as far as possible from the loudspeakers.

Ivi

Have never had this experience before and this is third cruise on Azamara since Covid.  Believe me, we will rethink White Night plans after this. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, FranYAlice said:

If there's someone aboard the Pursuit who has a spare moment, could they check with guest relations and ask who books the rooms for events. If we wanted to have a gathering of a small group in the living room, the den the patio bar who would be our contact? My feeling is that it's someone on the cruise director staff, but each cruise line I'm sure has their own method of handling that. Thank you in advance. Not traveling till August so I have a little bit of time for my projects

I spoke to the Hotel Director on Quest last year about booking a space for a small group of people that were attending private shore excursions that I had set up, and he put me in touch with the Concierge. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Belfastman said:

The Den is another place where the noise level from the pianist is very loud. We had great difficulty ordering a drink at the bar or talking to the person next to you on a recent cruise.

We had that issue on Journey.  The cruise director stood and listened one night after mid cruise feedback and agreed.  He discussed it with the pianist but basically she would not take onboard the feedback, I am not sure if they renewed her contract.  I think the problem is with the particular artist, if they are happy to be the background with a little more interaction as appropriate it works fine but if they see the Den as "their show" and a place to dominate, it spoils everything.  As you say, the whole point of the Den is to meet with others and we have to be able to hear them

• Like 6

4 hours ago, uktog said:

We had that issue on Journey.  The cruise director stood and listened one night after mid cruise feedback and agreed.  He discussed it with the pianist but basically she would not take onboard the feedback, I am not sure if they renewed her contract.  I think the problem is with the particular artist, if they are happy to be the background with a little more interaction as appropriate it works fine but if they see the Den as "their show" and a place to dominate, it spoils everything.  As you say, the whole point of the Den is to meet with others and we have to be able to hear them

That’s the thing!  We were with new people last night at White Night and we were trying to converse.  We were shouting over the sound checks and then the beginning music.  We couldn’t hear each other speak!  And it is embarrassing when you are with new people who we might have had a nice conversation with, but couldn’t over the loud music and then had to excuse ourselves early! 
My husband actually spoke to the Captain to no avail….I am sad to say.

I think they ( the staff) felt this was this was their show as the singers and dancers are on their last contract and wanted to properly sent them off, but this show is actually for the paying passengers!   That is my opinion only.

Edited by takemewithyou
  • Like 5

57 minutes ago, takemewithyou said:

this show is actually for the paying passengers!   That is my opinion only.

Well it's one that I share – and many others on this forum too!

In future I plan to follow the advice I've seen here:  take advantage of a very quiet main dining room for dinner, nip out for Crêpes Suzette and take the plates back inside or to our cabin.

• Like 7

7 hours ago, takemewithyou said:

Completed my post cruise survey and thoughts on White Night, for what it’s worth.  The only significant negative for the Ireland Intensive cruise on Pursuit for us.  Otherwise, we had a great cruise.

Just got off the Quest last week (Istanbul - Athens) and the White Night was a lot of fun. We loved the atmosphere, the food was varied and good, and the entertainment fine (and not excessively loud). Watching the sunset over Santorini certainly didn't hurt! The event might lend itself better to a warmer environment?

• Like 5

1 hour ago, JYDCruise said:

Just got off the Quest last week (Istanbul - Athens) and the White Night was a lot of fun. We loved the atmosphere, the food was varied and good, and the entertainment fine (and not excessively loud). Watching the sunset over Santorini certainly didn't hurt! The event might lend itself better to a warmer environment?

We never had an overly loud environment at White Night in last 6 cruises on Azamara and always loved White Night.  That’s what made this so disappointing.

We were all excited for it. I think it has to do with the sound levels used in and the band and entertainment staff.

Glad you got to experience a wonderful White Night! it really is usually a fun night.

• Like 2

On 6/23/2023 at 8:20 AM, wjfan417 said:

I spoke to the Hotel Director on Quest last year about booking a space for a small group of people that were attending private shore excursions that I had set up, and he put me in touch with the Concierge. 

Thank you. I was able to get the contact info for the group's department who apparently handles this.. appreciate your assistance

8 hours ago, takemewithyou said:

We never had an overly loud environment at White Night in last 6 cruises on Azamara and always loved White Night.  That’s what made this so disappointing.

We were all excited for it. I think it has to do with the sound levels used in and the band and entertainment staff.

Glad you got to experience a wonderful White Night! it really is usually a fun night.

I've had some recent bad experiences with the sound level. It's a shame because I too love White Night, but it had us escaping to another venue.  Azamara don't seem to be hearing us. Probably because the music is too loud!

Phil 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 7

1 hour ago, excitedofharpenden said:

I've had some recent bad experiences with the sound level. It's a shame because I too love White Night, but it had us escaping to another venue.  Azamara don't seem to be hearing us. Probably because the music is too loud!

Phil 

We have a saying in Scots which I will translate - it goes along the lines of "there are none as deaf as those who do not want to hear".  I felt when giving feedback last year was one of "this is how its going to be to appeal to our new demographic"..... time will tell but the current format and volume is not for me anymore, but we have choices which is great

• Like 2

We love White Night and have noticed over the years that more and more people are up and dancing.  Even those sitting seem to be enjoying the music.  It's supposed to be a big party and big parties get loud.   It's not meant to be a place where you can engage in conversation or have a quiet dinner.  And I don't believe that it has anything to do with age.  Our traveling group all love it and the ages are from the 50's to the 80's.  

• Like 6

48 minutes ago, crzrr said:

We love White Night and have noticed over the years that more and more people are up and dancing.  Even those sitting seem to be enjoying the music.  It's supposed to be a big party and big parties get loud.   It's not meant to be a place where you can engage in conversation or have a quiet dinner.  

Sitting with other people at dinner and not being able to engage in conversation is just plain silly.

People have been up and dancing at White Night since Azamara started this event. Music used to be less loud when people were eating and got louder for dancing. It seemed to work for most people.

• Like 8

40 minutes ago, tgg said:

Sitting with other people at dinner and not being able to engage in conversation is just plain silly.

People have been up and dancing at White Night since Azamara started this event. Music used to be less loud when people were eating and got louder for dancing. It seemed to work for most people.

Exactly.

Phil

• Like 4

1 hour ago, tgg said:

Very well said - on recent cruises I noticed those that stayed post eating did dance but the percentage who stayed was much lower than before.  Very few were staying just to listen and watch as used to happen  

My Loud Environment warning on my Watch which is in excess of 90db was constantly going off and we were seated in front of the pool bar away from the speakers.  If its a lovely evening as it was in Santorini I could escape the noise but stay and watch (and dance by my seat) by heading to Deck 10 or even 11, but if it is cooler and you want to be near the heaters or some shelter from the wind, it is I am afraid a case of noise noise noise or do not stay.  It would be so easy to fix, I am sure the dancers would still be able to dance no problem with the volume down by a quarter

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

We walked around trying to find a place that the volume might be less, like the pool bar or even up on deck 10 at the back.  The loudspeakers seemed to be turned up everywhere.  It wasn’t quieter even in those areas.

And we weren’t the only ones who noticed it and they also left.  I hope they mentioned it on their surveys, also.

Edited by takemewithyou
  • Like 1

On our White Night in Bilbao in mid June we eat early in Prime C then joined White Night.  It was a really excellent evening.  Lots of tables upstairs on the walkway. Loads of people dancing. One of the best we have enjoyed.  The entertainment team went above and beyond and kept singing until after 10.

Certainly not the place for a quiet conversation but the rest of the ship was available for those who chose not to attend.

We were on Journey.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1