Picture-A-Week 2021 - Week 46

pierces

Pictures taken between Monday, November 8 and Sunday, November 14.

TIme change for many! Don't forget to change the time on your camera! 

Rules: See above

That's it. This isn't a contest.

All photos taken this week are welcome (not just cruising).

Prizes will not be awarded. Discovering the joy of photography is the prize.

The idea is to get folks out using their cameras for more than vacations and toddler birthdays.

Post one. Post many. Up to you.

Have fun with your camera and share your fun with others!

I live in an urban subdivision just south of St. Louis County in Missouri.  Our subdivision is very large and the houses have average size yards and all are fenced.  The past few years I’ve been occasionally finding deer poop in our yard.  This year our bird feeder has been getting emptied every night and I suspected deer or raccoons.  So this past August I finally decided to buy a cheap ($36 sale price) trail cam.  It works better than I expected considering the price point.

Imagine my surprise when I discovered I had more than one deer coming into our yard.  I know a fence isn’t much of a challenge for a deer but by my estimate they have to jump 5 fences to get to my backyard.

Here are a couple of pictures from the trail cam this month.  The first picture is a momma deer with her two fawns from this spring.  One of the fawns is a button buck.  Last night I was surprised to find a really nice buck had come into our yard.

Deer.JPG.547f65a10ab50d9225e4ee30ac89767c.JPG

Buck1.JPG.23b49a8fe41d7ef54e9e074d35c2c021.JPG

• Like 6

Today is Remembrance in Canada & Veterans day in the USA. Our local village put up banners of some of the veterans from the village & surrounding area who served. At the cemetery in town they put up markers.

DSC_1606.JPG

DSC_1611.JPG

DSC_1642.JPG

DSC_1645.JPG

DSC_1648.JPG

DSC_1650.JPG

• Like 2

On Sunday, we had the local family over for dinner and to meet its newest member, Kai. For dessert, we made S'mores courtesy of old tech that we have recently rediscovered. While we have used fire for cooking and heating, enclosed gas flames lack the attraction and romance of a crackling fire. After finishing the patio deck, we had to deal with our local weather which would limit the times that we could actually use it. The fact that it eliminates most of the yard dust issues makes it a worthwhile addition, but we wanted more. Umbrellas tamed the heat of summer and now a fire pit will provide heat for winter, greatly improving our ability to enjoy our Pandemic Project much more often. Family around the fire...a 100,000-year-old tradition!

Old Family Traditions

299989147_2021-46OldFamilyTraditions.thumb.jpg.89c9045d430329c61ad63bf1537ab64e.jpg

Dave

• Like 3

This weekend at the wetlands wasn't quite as pleasant weather-wise as the prior one - the heat returned, but the skies stayed clear and there were still nice birds to find.  Lots of raptor activity this weekend too, similar to last weekend with all the osprey action.  This time, the osprey were joined by two types of hawks, plus some other assorted species:

Osprey were still hunting:

original.jpg

Palm warblers were busy looking for bugs and grubs in the cypress pines, not even minding me less than 7 feet away:

original.jpg

The black-and-white warblers were doing the same thing - though they prefer to stay on the tree trunk and inner branches:

original.jpg

An American bittern came out into the open to cross a levee, looking for dragonflies to snatch along the way:

original.jpg

One of those other raptors - the tiny merlin...a very small hawk who likes to dine on other small birds, came circling over:

original.jpg

A male common yellowthroat up in a small tree, showing his bandit mask:

original.jpg

A majestic red-shouldered hawk up on top of a dead tree snag where it can watch over the whole wetlands:

original.jpg

And sometimes when it would see another hawk in the distance, it would call out, either to mark its territory or possibly attract a potential mate:

original.jpg

A red-bellied woodpecker - one of the rare times you can actually see the belly which gives them their name :

original.jpg

A flock of ibis flying by in late winter afternoon light:

original.jpg

• Like 7