Positive covid test today! Should I cancel?

You might still test positive, especially with a PCR test.  But after about of COVID and past the  quarantine period, an antigen test (rapid test) is less likely to pick up any remaining pockets of viral RNA.

You probably should have had a rapid test anyway if vaccinated.  No need for PCR.

My daughter tested positive for Covid in September, and it took her about four weeks to completely clear everything out of her system and return a negative PCR test.  Some people with stronger immune system may be able to rid themselves of the virus faster, while others may take longer.  

Just get plenty of rest and nurse yourself back to health.  Do the test again a couple days before the cruise, and if you still test positive call RCCL for a refund.  

Edited by PCHENG

The monoclonal antibodies were miraculous for my 70 yr old sister. She got very sick, very quickly. She was vaccinated.  She tested negative 3 weeks later also. 

Hoping you feel better soon, your husband does not get sick, and you are able to cruise.  

We are ‘hunkering down’ as much as possible ourselves beginning this weekend. Our cruise is early December, and like you, would be sad if unable to cruise. 

• Like 4

40 minutes ago, Airbalancer said:

I hate the fact people use to cruise when they had a cold spreading it everywhere 

If you had Covid , you shouldn’t be traveling for  at least a 2 months to be sure it is out of your system ! 

Two months?  That's more than a little extreme.  No one is contagious for very long.  In fact, people who have been vaccinated have an even shorter window of testing positive or being able to pass it on.  Even unvaccinated people aren't contagious for too long.  

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

40 minutes ago, Airbalancer said:

I hate the fact people use to cruise when they had a cold spreading it everywhere 

If you had Covid , you shouldn’t be traveling for  at least a 2 months to be sure it is out of your system ! 

The State contact and trace person that called me to follow up and instruct me on quarantine stated that you are most infectious in the first two days of the illness and it wanes until you are 10 days out, then you can come out if asymptomatic as you are no longer contagious. My physician said the same. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

It's bad enough not feeling well at home and to feel bad away from home is really lousy and to be on a cruise ship not feeling well is even worse.

I would be looking to cancel now and rebooking something later like 2 or 3 months later if you can do that. 

Royal gives you that option, take advantage of it.

Chances of your husband catching it off you  since you are only in a 900ft space are pretty likely.

Edited by Jimbo
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Airbalancer said:

That's a ridiculous take. You're not infectious for 2 months and there's literally no data to the contrary

• Like 5

5 hours ago, dani negreanu said:

I wouldn't cancel yet, but I'd ask your doctor if this treatment will not cause you to show positive even if you're healthy.

It happened to my friend, who received the above treatment, and continued to show positive at least 3 weeks after recovery 😢

People can test positive for some time after recovery. It is not recommended to retest within 90 days of infection. It gas nothing to do with receiving the monoclonal antibodies.

@WindinmySailsI THINK it is still the case that if you had Covid within 90 days of sailing that RCI will accept physician documentation that you had it and are recovered. They do this exactly because testing can take a while to revert back to negative after recovery. However, things change fast and perhaps that is not still valid information as far as RCI accepting the documentation. You may want to check with them.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Airbalancer said:

Ridiculous.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Jimbo said:

It's bad enough not feeling well at home and to feel bad away from home is really lousy and to be on a cruise ship not feeling well is even worse.

I would be looking to cancel now and rebooking something later like 2 or 3 months later if you can do that. 

Royal gives you that option, take advantage of it.

Chances of your husband catching it off you  since you are only in a 900ft space are pretty likely.

I've had couples who sleep in the same bed where one gets it and the other doesn't.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, muscleman said:

Bad info. We took the PCR but were afraid the test wouldn’t make it back on time so we took the RAPID the next day which came back negative. We received our PCR test results the second day of the cruise and my wife came back positive. We did the right thing an reported to medical. My wife is in the COVID ward now and they are flying us home tomorrow. We are on A b2b so our vacation has been cancel. So why worry about a negative result from the RAPID and you got COVID. I wonder how many people on this ship with COVID but not know because they took the RAPID.

Rapid has a high percentage of false negative.

But what I have read is if it is positive for Covid you either currently have it or have had it with 90 days of the test.

I’m taking a home test 16 days before my cruise and then the proctored test within 3 days of my cruise.

I also have the luxury of not going anywhere in all of January to stay healthy.

🥰

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

People can test positive for some time after recovery. It is not recommended to retest within 90 days of infection. It gas nothing to do with receiving the monoclonal antibodies.

@WindinmySailsI THINK it is still the case that if you had Covid within 90 days of sailing that RCI will accept physician documentation that you had it and are recovered. They do this exactly because testing can take a while to revert back to negative after recovery. However, things change fast and perhaps that is not still valid information as far as RCI accepting the documentation. You may want to check with them.

Going through the rules, I do not believe that is an option anymore. They do not accept doctor's notes.  I also want to make sure that I am not shedding any virus to anyone else, but thank you for the thought.  As much as I'd like to cruise, I would feel horrible if I was indeed shedding and infected someone else.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, WindinmySails said:

Going through the rules, I do not believe that is an option anymore. They do not accept doctor's notes.  I also want to make sure that I am not shedding any virus to anyone else, but thank you for the thought.  As much as I'd like to cruise, I would feel horrible if I was indeed shedding and infected someone else.  

I didn't say you should go if you are not recovered. I was just pointing out that there can be a difference between recovery and testing reverting back to negative.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

I've had couples who sleep in the same bed where one gets it and the other doesn't.

Yes but would you want to chance it once you get on the ship and then the husband get tested while onboard and comes down with covid on day 3? or on the test 2 days before the cruise?

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

Yes but would you want to chance it once you get on the ship and then the husband get tested while onboard and comes down with covid on day 3? or on the test 2 days before the cruise?

Of course not. I only posted my experience. I had a family where the father tested positive and he was immediately banished to the basement of the house.

1 hour ago, Ocean Boy said:

I do not believe that royal accepts past recent infection instead of a test. They issue FCC and ask that you reschedule. 

2 minutes ago, AustinCruise said:

I do not believe that royal accepts past recent infection instead of a test. They issue FCC and ask that you reschedule. 

I just reviewed info on the website and I no longer find any mention of it. As I said in my post, what I wrote could be outdated.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

I didn't say you should go if you are not recovered. I was just pointing out that there can be a difference between recovery and testing reverting back to negative.

I totally understood what you meant. No disrespect intended; I appreciated your feedback. I feel great today, but also realize that I could still be contagious.  I am isolating for 10 days at home.

Edited by WindinmySails
addition

15 hours ago, Maitaivegas said:

I’m taking a home test 16 days before my cruise and then the proctored test within 3 days of my cruise.

On RCL ships, the current policy is testing no sooner than two days before you cruise, so doing any test three days prior will not be accepted.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, muscleman said:

Bad info. We took the PCR but were afraid the test wouldn’t make it back on time so we took the RAPID the next day which came back negative. We received our PCR test results the second day of the cruise and my wife came back positive. We did the right thing an reported to medical. My wife is in the COVID ward now and they are flying us home tomorrow. We are on A b2b so our vacation has been cancel. So why worry about a negative result from the RAPID and you got COVID. I wonder how many people on this ship with COVID but not know because they took the RAPID.

That is a COMPLETELY different situation than the OP is on. 

If she is feeling well and has recovered from Covid at the time of sailing (having contracted it weeks earlier) but is still not passing a test, there is no risk for her. Completely different than not knowing you have Covid because it was too early for it to show on a rapid test and then receiving a positive PCR and coming down with symptoms on a cruise. So YOU are giving bad info. 

Edited by kruzerci

15 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

I haven’t heard of any cruise line allowing this, although they should, since it’s accepted in a lot of situations.