Douro excursion choices - Salamanca, or Freixo de Espada à Cinta?

sbjornda

The Douro cruise we're planning for 2022 (with Scenic) includes a "Freechoice" option of either a trip across the border to Salamanca, or a shorter excursion to Freixo de Espada à Cinta. Salamanca is 2 hours each way by bus plus 5 hours in the city. If I'm going to spend that much time on a bus I want a "wow" experience. I'm not particularly a Spanish history buff, though I do enjoy European history and culture in general. Pictures and videos I've seen of Salamanca are leaving me visually underwhelmed; the buildings look a bit monotonous on the outside and there didn't appear to be a lot of pleasant green spaces. Freixo de Espada à Cinta looks like a pretty little town nestled in pleasant countryside, and the tour includes a silk-making exhibit - but I'm not a textile buff either. I'd be interested in people's thoughts - what is it that makes 5 hours in Salamanca worth spending 4 hours on a bus? Clearly that's a choice a lot of people prefer and I'd be interested knowing why. Would I kick myself if I never visit Salamanca? (We're spending 3 days in Madrid after the cruise.) Has anyone here been to Freixo de Espada à Cinta and can comment on the experience?

Thanks,

Sterling

image.thumb.jpeg.ff1079abf4564755d6f0e442ca76a4a5.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.53a31d15cdaa7e4e568b7a5559469186.jpeg

Salamanca is a beautiful city as are many in Spain. So on our Douro Scenic cruise we had to go there. So much history even sitting in the square people watching at its best. Some of the architecture is fantastic and beautiful it’s a UNESCO World Heritage Site and one of Spain’s foremost university cities. It’s also on the Camino de Santiago. Although I must say you will enjoy Madrid which is completely different.

Salamanca was an absolute gem on our self-guided "Douro" tour 2 years ago. I wasn't sure what to expect and ended up loving it. If you're going to Madrid post-cruise anyway, why not stop in Salamanca along the way if possible? Makes more sense than a back-and-forth from Portugal to Salamanca, then retracing your steps in that direction to drive all the way to Madrid.

If you want some pix and a description of Salamanca, it's in my blog from that trip.

https://notadourocruise.blogspot.com/2019/11/day-7-salamanca-to-madrid.html

We are taking this same Scenic itinerary in 2023 and have the same choice.  I plan to go to Freixo de Espada à Cinta.  In addition to the guided tour of the town and the silk museum, a local will welcome you into their home for a hearty and authentic lunch.

We would not be looking forward to a 4-hour bus ride, even though the 2-hours on the return leg would probably be a nap!

Since our cruise goes back down the Duoro, we may be passing up our only chance to see Salamanca as it's not on the way to anything that I would expect to be going, and wasn't on our traditional Camino route – but que sera sera [channeling Doris Day]

• Like 1

Actually if I do this cruise again I would love to do the alternative to Salamanca, such an iconic destination. I’m a real craft aficionado so the silk museum, which was not a choice on our cruise, would be one I would not not have missed or in other words what a choice! DH one way myself in two minds ‘not unusual’. As on the Seine cruise but luckily Bolbec won out,  no contest!

Loved our trip to Salamanca.  The bus ride was not a big issue to us as we enjoyed the scenery.  The 2-hour ride includes a half hour potty break.  While the Douro River has been my favorite cruise so far, the small ports are not really meant for getting off the ship and exploring.  There is really not much to do off the ship.   The Rhine and Rhone offer great little towns to explore on your own.  With that being said, Salamanca is one place where you can spend many hours (if you had the time) to explore or relax in a cafe.  Make sure you try the churros if you go to Salamanca.  I have never been to Friexo so I can't comment on that.

• 3 months later...
1 hour ago, 2012_Alaska_bound said:

lunch with a local won me over

We got an email a while back that all "lunch with a local" programs had been halted due to COVID. Do you know for sure that yours is back on in May? Portugal's been having a tough time with Omicron the past couple of months; hopefully it will be back down to a dull roar by spring.