Hawaii cruise concerns

joeinsb

I have been trying to post several times but my posts aren’t going through. One more try. I am on Orion right now. Several crew members have said they were informed day before yesterday that they will not be going to Hawaii but will be doing LA to Mexico instead. Maybe Viking is trying to finalize an alternative itinerary before offering options to those who had booked the December trips. BTW, the staff onboard are awesome. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

Sorry not to be the bearer of better news. I have been trying to post since I found out. I almost wondered if they could block from posting to CC!  The young fellow said they would be going to Cabo, Mazatlan, I think maybe he said Ensenada and he couldn’t recall the rest. Not where I would want to go either…

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, goldwingers said:

Sorry not to be the bearer of better news. I have been trying to post since I found out. I almost wondered if they could block from posting to CC!  The young fellow said they would be going to Cabo, Mazatlan, I think maybe he said Ensenada and he couldn’t recall the rest. Not where I would want to go either…

Hope you don’t mind but I posted it on both the roll call for Dec 4 and 12/20. Just wondering how or what offers we would be getting? I would just change to a river cruise I have my eye on especially if they offer extra %. Thanks again. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, goldwingers said:

I have been trying to post several times but my posts aren’t going through. One more try. I am on Orion right now. Several crew members have said they were informed day before yesterday that they will not be going to Hawaii but will be doing LA to Mexico instead. Maybe Viking is trying to finalize an alternative itinerary before offering options to those who had booked the December trips. BTW, the staff onboard are awesome. 

I really appreciate the effort to get this information through to us while you are on vacation.  What is really bad is that they have pi$$ed off a lot passengers willing to spend the money to take a long Hawaii cruise - including a number of first-time cruisers who (like us) probably won't be back given how this was handled.  How many will stick around for the poor substitute cruise without a huge financial incentive?  (Which they probably can't afford given the cost of fuel and food.)  Plus they have left themselves no time at all to fill the ship with replacement passengers who might want to take a Mexico cruise - again it will require practically giving the cruise away to fill it with passengers.

I'd be concerned that in the end - even if we stayed around for the replacement cruise, it would be so poorly filled that Viking would make a very last minute financial decision to just park the ship in LA.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

I, for one, would be happy to stick with the cruise and do the Mexican Riviera itinerary. The original itinerary for the 16-day cruise was all sea days anyway except for four daytime Hawaii stops and a visit to Ensenada, which basically would be a packing day for us. We were simply looking forward to getting out of the house after two years. We hope the cruise happens regardless of where it is going. 

• Like 6

I bought my own travel insurance for the Viking Asia cruise I booked (2022) and when it was cancelled I was able to transfer the coverage to another trip.  I took the refund from Viking and it came in a couple of chunks more or less on time.  For this Hawaii cruise, I bought the Viking insurance.  So if I take the refund - will it include the insurance purchased from Viking?  I can’t find any wording about what happens to the travel insurance premium if Viking cancels the cruise.  

5 hours ago, mc_reeve said:

I'd be concerned that in the end - even if we stayed around for the replacement cruise, it would be so poorly filled that Viking would make a very last minute financial decision to just park the ship in LA.

Cruises in the Med are sailing with as few as 165 pax. 

I don't think they will cancel.  Food stores and other supplies have been ordered.  The ship is fully staffed and they aren't going to pay to sit in LA for a month.  If they are going to sail in circles, they might as well take some paying guests along with them.  

1 hour ago, mc_reeve said:

I bought my own travel insurance for the Viking Asia cruise I booked (2022) and when it was cancelled I was able to transfer the coverage to another trip.  I took the refund from Viking and it came in a couple of chunks more or less on time.  For this Hawaii cruise, I bought the Viking insurance.  So if I take the refund - will it include the insurance purchased from Viking?  I can’t find any wording about what happens to the travel insurance premium if Viking cancels the cruise.  

On prior cancelations, Viking was refunding the insurance  -- that is for cruises that Viking canceled.  What Viking will do this go round, I have no idea.  

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Peregrina651 said:

On prior cancelations, Viking was refunding the insurance  -- that is for cruises that Viking canceled.  What Viking will do this go round, I have no idea.  

Well, I for one hope they treat this cruise as a cancellation. It would be pretty unprofessional to sell a cruise to Hawaii and then switch it entirely to a different destination without offering a full refund. (Not just a voucher.) 

I’ve been wondering what Viking will do if Israel has to drop off our Holy Land & Cities of Antiquities cruise in January. I would assume that if the name of a cruise includes a specific place, Viking will offer to refund customers if they have to drop that place. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

We can all give our opinions on whether or not we like how this was (and is) being handled. We can all give our opinions on whether or not we want to go to Mexico instead of Hawaii. Given my other posts, I bet it’s easy to guess what I think!

The focus for me now has to be whether or not Viking will do the right thing and give us the option to receive a cash refund.

• Like 2

Viking response to my first email:

Thank you for your recent online inquiry. Hope you and your loved ones are well and safe.

We understand your concern, however, the cruise is set to sail and we're currently in the process of finalizing the shore excursions.

If anything was to change, we would be sending you an email.

If we can be of any further assistance at this time, please reply to this email or contact us at 888-663-8454 and any service agent may assist you.

Best Regards,

My follow-up response:

There is no public evidence that Hawaiian cruise ports are open to cruise ships. In fact, all the public evidence says the ports are closed to cruise ships until the end of the year. How can VIKING continue to say the ship will sail ? Sail where? Isn’t it time for Viking to be honest with their consumers? Please pass this email onto Torsten Hagen , his tv commercials claim to listen to their consumers. I feel like we are being lied too.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, SIRSONIC said:

Viking response to my first email:

Thank you for your recent online inquiry. Hope you and your loved ones are well and safe.

We understand your concern, however, the cruise is set to sail and we're currently in the process of finalizing the shore excursions.

If anything was to change, we would be sending you an email.

If we can be of any further assistance at this time, please reply to this email or contact us at 888-663-8454 and any service agent may assist you.

Best Regards,

My follow-up response:

There is no public evidence that Hawaiian cruise ports are open to cruise ships. In fact, all the public evidence says the ports are closed to cruise ships until the end of the year. How can VIKING continue to say the ship will sail ? Sail where? Isn’t it time for Viking to be honest with their consumers? Please pass this email onto Torsten Hagen , his tv commercials claim to listen to their consumers. I feel like we are being lied too.

Suggest you email Mr. Hagen directly at hagen@vikingcruises.com

Someone on our roll call cc:d him when they were trying to get clarification on US testing requirements a few weeks ago and someone from his office followed up almost immediately.  Sounds like his office is very responsive.

• Thanks 1

I am not on a Hawaii cruise.  I just returned from the Iconic Med cruise BCN to Rome on the Sea.  I was also nervous if our cruise would sail. This was my first Viking cruise and my first visit to Europe.   My experience in the Med is this:

It seemed that we were almost the only cruise ship in the Med ports with passengers.  At one port I notice either an MCS or Costa ship with passengers.  In ports, we appeared to be the only cruise passengers I saw.  This is what I experienced. 

It gave me the impression that Viking has been allowed to cruise to these ports because of their covid procedures.  This is JMHO.

I'm hoping for your Hawaii cruises that Viking is also making a "deal" with them to cruise because of these same covid procedures.  This is just a guess on my part. I can't imagine Viking cancelling the Hawaii cruise so close to sailing.  Time will tell!

• Like 1

Email sent to Mr. Hagen Viking Chairman.

The email also included my prior emails and responses from Viking customer service. 

Dear Mr. Hagen

My wife and I are booked on the Hawaiian Sojourn cruise leaving Los Angeles on Dec 20th.  Our booking number is xxxxxxx. We are first time Viking Cruises and have looked forward to our Holiday on Viking. We are active cruises and hold elite status on Celebrity and have cruised Azamara and Oceania.  We actually cancelled a planned land visit to Hawaii. We were going to stay at the Four Seasons in Maui. I have to say we have not experienced the level of customer service we heard Viking is known for. We understand covid has added a level of complication to all our lives but that is no excuse for what appears to be less than honest communication. 

The simple fact is all ports in Hawaii are closed to cruise ships through the end of the year. If Viking is in negotiation with the Hawaian port authorities an email should be sent to all cruise passengers. Vikings reputation is being damaged. You may want to take a look at the postings on the cruisecritic web site. The lack of communication has fed rumors'.  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

On 11/13/2021 at 4:09 PM, mc_reeve said:

I really appreciate the effort to get this information through to us while you are on vacation.  What is really bad is that they have pi$$ed off a lot passengers willing to spend the money to take a long Hawaii cruise - including a number of first-time cruisers who (like us) probably won't be back given how this was handled.  How many will stick around for the poor substitute cruise without a huge financial incentive?  (Which they probably can't afford given the cost of fuel and food.)  Plus they have left themselves no time at all to fill the ship with replacement passengers who might want to take a Mexico cruise - again it will require practically giving the cruise away to fill it with passengers.

I think the contract gives them the right to change the IT without notice, so they could possibly not cancel and not refund.  I could be wrong……….

Someone on another popular site has posted that Hawaii, Australia and NZ are cancelled from their January 2022 World Cruise. Maybe some people here on that cruise will say if that is correct.

jJust found below on the WC roll call.

476EDED9-87A6-4D51-BF1F-0ABDED36556F.png

Edited by downsmead
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, downsmead said:

Someone on another popular site has posted that Hawaii, Australia and NZ are cancelled from their January 2022 World Cruise. Maybe some people here on that cruise will say if that is correct.

I believe this is correct.  Here’s the main roll call thread for that WC:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2756325-viking-star-january-10th-2022/

1 hour ago, crusinbanjo said:

I think the contract gives them the right to change the IT without notice, so they could possibly not cancel and not refund.  I could be wrong……….

Yes, the Terms & Conditions do permit changes that would not require a refund. However, in our experience with similar situations, Viking do provide exceptional customer service and offer options in excess of the legal requirements of the T&C.

However, pax must be patient and be well informed, especially if you prefer a refund. If you cancel before receiving notification, a refund is not available, unless they make an exception.

• Like 3

On 11/12/2021 at 3:58 PM, Peregrina651 said:

Can't compare the two. Different rules for arriving by cruise ship vs airplane. 

Peregrina651 - we were in Maui the third week in by August. Maui was open but the restrictions were brutal, negative tests within three days of arrival, rental cars wanted to see clearance, hotels wanted to see clearance so not surprised Hawaii said they can’t handle cruises. BTW - restaurants were running at 50% capacity and were booked solid out for three months in many locations. There is a real shortage of workers at least in Maui.

5 hours ago, khurley20 said:

Peregrina651 - we were in Maui the third week in by August. Maui was open but the restrictions were brutal, negative tests within three days of arrival, rental cars wanted to see clearance, hotels wanted to see clearance so not surprised Hawaii said they can’t handle cruises. BTW - restaurants were running at 50% capacity and were booked solid out for three months in many locations. There is a real shortage of workers at least in Maui.

Mama's Fish House probably even more difficult to get in to.