What to do with Medallion after cruise?

JAVERZ

Sorry to detour a little bit, but much has been mentioned about magnets.  

1.  Does the Medallion itself have a magnet?

2.  Does the magnet serve a purpose?

3.  Will something metal holding the medallion in place affect the use of the medallion?  Is that why everything seems to be rubber/plastic bands?

I don't have a pacemaker so not concerned about magnet.  Just wondering if my "holder" has to be made of something other than metal.  Thanks

9 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

3.  Will something metal holding the medallion in place affect the use of the medallion?  Is that why everything seems to be rubber/plastic bands?

I don't have a pacemaker so not concerned about magnet.  Just wondering if my "holder" has to be made of something other than metal.  Thanks

I use a wristband and wear my Medallion exactly as I would a watch. I bought the wristband on board for $12 and I'll continue to use it on future cruises. The Medallion has a magnet as does the wristband that Princess sells and this helps the Medallion clip in to place. So in answer to your point 3 above, I can only assume that any metal holding the Medallion doesn't effect the use of it. Certainly didn't on my cruise and it was so easy to just hold your wrist over the reader, rather than get the Medallion out of a pocket or whatever to get it to read. I hate lanyards.

• Thanks 1

On 11/13/2021 at 7:07 PM, cr8tiv1 said:

Yes, but it is very weak.

As far as I know, it's incorporated into the medallion to serve to hold it into their jewelry. 

Any metal won't affect the effectiveness of the medallion at all. My DH made a holding device for each of us, cut from some sheet metal and a strong external magnet which we've used on numerous cruises without it having any effect what so ever. It didn't decrease the range of opening our cabin door or operation of any of their pickup units.

See above.

• Thanks 1

In a box, in my "cruise chest", are our cards and 2 medallions w/ lanyard. 

It's nice to look back and remember. Right along with the only photos we buy ~ boarding photos.

Its so nice to finally see good topics popping up instead of when will I get my refund.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...
Posted (edited)

I finally found the perfect case for our past cruise medallions.  They fit perfect in this tidy little box.  One section holds 2 stacked medallions.  It was super cheap too $4.99. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BDLRV88H?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details&th=1
Be sure to get the 28 grid sized box.  The other ones are much deeper and larger spaces.  Here are some pics of the one I bought.  Just thought I’d share.

IMG_2845.jpeg

IMG_2844.jpeg

IMG_2843.jpeg

IMG_2842.jpeg

Edited by dyddles
  • Like 2

On 11/12/2021 at 11:10 PM, shellbeachjim said:

Personally, I wish Princess would collect them at the end of the cruise. It contains both a battery and electronics, so I can't simply throw it in the trash here - both must be recycled. I also have no intention of cracking the medallion open and disassemble it to make it safe to throw away. Princess should have a recycling program for the medallions. They're the ones who created them, and they should be responsible for the safe and proper disposal.

What's the betting though if they collected them for disposal they'd make a charge. Seems the norm to me that although historically cruising is cheaper fare wise than it used to be every way you turn someone wants their pound of flesh for everything and things that were once inclusive now require a charge. Not limited to Princess either.

I think they make great little personalized souvenirs.  Plus they can be used as magnets.  There are plenty of worse items in the world that need recycling.  These tiny little things are not even a drop in the “save the planet” bucket.  Keep them and remember all the good times you had on those vacation days.

My bathroom is decorated with a travel motif. My medallions hang on the door into my closet. Seeing them & my collection of blue Princess tote bags makes me happy every day. 

20240408_103933.jpg

On 11/13/2021 at 2:36 PM, Bruin Steve said:

I usually kept all of my old cruise cards in a box at home (even have a couple that go back to when they just had cardboard ID cards).  Now, I just keep the old medallions in the same box.  But, along the way, I've learned of one really good reason to keep these things:  Every now and then, the cruise lines screw up on your old cruise history...and though YOU know you are only "x" number of cruises from the next club level, they've somehow got it wrong...but you can prove to them that they are missing crediting you for a cruise by sending them a photo of your cruise card for that cruise...and, now, I guess a photo of that medallion would do the same thing.  Doesn't happen often, but it happens!!

I have a container with every cruise card/Medallion I or my husband ever had (minus one that got lost, dangit!) and I know that's very Hoarder-ish of me, but it doesn't take up any room in a drawer, really. My first ever Carnival Sail and Sign card from 1997 is in a scrapbook.

• Like 1

On 11/12/2021 at 12:43 PM, JAVERZ said:

We just returned from a cruise on the Ruby Princess.  Now I am wondering what to do with the Medallion.  Do you save it for another cruise?  Does it still store your  personal information on it?  Or is the personal information deleted when the cruise is over?  In other words, can anyone access data like credit card information, etc. that was entered into the Medallion App on your smart phone and was then available on the Medallion during the cruise?  Does anyone have any insight or experience with this issue?  Thanks.

We just add it to our photo album!