First time Cruiser, Honeymoon Cruise on MSC Meraviglia!

buckeye25osu

1 minute ago, Fogfog said:

OP

Congrats on the marriage. Best wishes for a long life together.

Balcony would be lovely-- you see things in the ports etc and having coffee in the early am is so nice.

Specialty dining will be wonderful and offer a variety from the main dining.

Be sure to tell the waiter at your table in main dining, the waiters at each specialty dinner  that you are on your honeymoon.

An option in Cozumel could be an all inclusive day-beach club with wave runners. 

best wishes

fog

Thanks for such kind wishes.  This forum amazes me with so much kindness and without the toxicity you see in other places (ie. Reddit, etc.).  Perhaps cruisers, especially those on MSC have a little more respect and class! 🙂

Yes we already snagged a balcony.  In Cozumel we decided to rent a scooter and snorkel at some various hot spots.  In Costa Maya I have the Chacchoben and Baccalar Lagoon trip booked.  I don't want to do specialty as I think the steak restaurant I'd love but not the Sushi or seafood as much.  Might use the credit for jet skis on Ocean Cay!  I won't be shy letting them know we're honey-mooning.  Thanks again!

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, buckeye25osu said:

Thanks for such kind wishes.  This forum amazes me with so much kindness and without the toxicity you see in other places (ie. Reddit, etc.).  Perhaps cruisers, especially those on MSC have a little more respect and class! 🙂

Yes we already snagged a balcony.  In Cozumel we decided to rent a scooter and snorkel at some various hot spots.  In Costa Maya I have the Chacchoben and Baccalar Lagoon trip booked.  I don't want to do specialty as I think the steak restaurant I'd love but not the Sushi or seafood as much.  Might use the credit for jet skis on Ocean Cay!  I won't be shy letting them know we're honey-mooning.  Thanks again!

I believe there are several beach bars all around the ring road of Coz-- though if you bar hop a taxi would be safer... just the "mother" in me thinking ahead of the newlyweds celebrating. 😉

If you have OBC-- then jet skies at OC would be a great way to use it

Best wishes

Edited by Fogfog
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, buckeye25osu said:

Thanks for all of the awesome info-  Our flight gets in early to Orlando so we're planning on getting on the first bus (pre-booked)to PC and getting in line.

A lot of people said the pizza is great, as it should be for an Italian line!  I love pizza so I'm excited to eat that multiple times.

It's too bad they didn't use the credit on the balcony upgrade.  Thought of doing the triple dining experience but I just don't think i'd like 2/3 of the options too much (Kaito and Ocean Cay).  Maybe I'll see about renting jet skis at Ocean Cay.

Our Balcony is a Fantastica on 11.  Reservation was already updated once to add the Voyager number and apply the discount.  Showing Early Dining when I wanted late.  Should I call?

Thanks again!

When you get on the ship, you can go the the maitre'd to change your dining to late. They will usually be standing outside of the dining room on boarding day for this purpose. Realize that late dining on MSC means 9:00 PM, not 8:00 like most....Way too late for us!  They do have a 7:30PM option under "early".  

Deck 11 is perfect...cabins above and below you, so minimal noise.  We had the same feelings on the specialty dining...the menus just didn't do it for us.  I have read that the Hola Tacos for lunch is amazing and reasonable. I am excited for that one over Xmas. Also, being an Italian line, the pasta dishes are generally very good.  Try the fresh pastas on the buffet at lunch that they cook in huge paella type skillets on the buffet line...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, slei15 said:

When you get on the ship, you can go the the maitre'd to change your dining to late. They will usually be standing outside of the dining room on boarding day for this purpose. Realize that late dining on MSC means 9:00 PM, not 8:00 like most....Way too late for us!  They do have a 7:30PM option under "early".  

Deck 11 is perfect...cabins above and below you, so minimal noise.  We had the same feelings on the specialty dining...the menus just didn't do it for us.  I have read that the Hola Tacos for lunch is amazing and reasonable. I am excited for that one over Xmas. Also, being an Italian line, the pasta dishes are generally very good.  Try the fresh pastas on the buffet at lunch that they cook in huge paella type skillets on the buffet line...

Awesome, we'll do 7:30 if that's "early".  Wife would kill me if I had us eating at 9 every night!

2 minutes ago, buckeye25osu said:

Awesome, we'll do 7:30 if that's "early".  Wife would kill me if I had us eating at 9 every night!

Our first MSC cruise they gave us a 9:15 PM late dining with our then 6 and 8 year olds. We brought them with us to the dining room and it was promptly changed to 5:30 😂

• Like 1

Definitely let the MSC staff and pier agents know it’s your honeymoon.  The Port Canaveral staff are very friendly.  I find them to be more welcoming and helpful than Port Miami.  It never hurts to share your joy.  I don’t mean that it will be like the big Disney World button experience, but who knows you might be sprinkled with some MSC dust.  Congratulations!  😀

While I can't speak to the OP's original question, I would like to tell them that my daughter and son-in-law honeymooned on the Meraviglia in the Mediterranean in 2017. They had a Bella Balcony.

Our travel agent marked their reservations as being a honeymoon and the crew on board knew they were honeymooners.  My daughter says the crew went out of the way to make sure that their honeymoon was special.

I hope your experience is just as nice.

First of it all: Congrats OP for your marriage!... And yeah: Be very welcome on these boards very committed to that marvel that is cruising!... Fortunately we're not on the likes of some other social media!... Cruise is our passion and this is really for what we are here. Some negativity here or there. But at least it is generally orderly!... And have a nice sailing!...

Now, for the others reluctant to go with MSC let me just to say the least: They're so, but so bad that I have only 7 cruises with them under my belt worth of some 3 months at sea, including a transatlantic!... And they're so, but so ugly bad that I've another 10 nights cruise in the making for next October if all goes well as planned!... They couldn't to be so bad, could they?...

Have a nice day!...

• Like 2

Cozumel has some of the best scuba diving in the Caribbean but it's not nearly as good for snorkeling. Best place for that is probably Chankanab park. Renting a scooter to drive around the island is absolutely the right choice. I've done it many times and it's easy and enjoyable. You should be able to get it for under $30. There are lovely beaches on the east side of the island, although most are too rough for swimming (not all). 

If you want to go to Chaccoben ruins you do NOT need to pay to be herded onto a bus. For the same price as booking two people on a tour (or less) you can simply exit the tourist trap port area and negotiate with the local taxi drivers to take you right there and wait to take you back. It is about a 90 minute drive each way and if you go with a taxi you will have plenty of time to find a spot on the beach afterward. No need for a "club." The beach in Mahahual (the name of the town; "Costa Maya" is a fictional name) is lined with restaurants where you can enjoy the beach for the price of a drink.

I will be on the same cruise, but I'm going diving in both places.

Thanks again all.  Hit a snag and need some help in not panicking.  I was unable to do the web check-in.  I was awaiting to see if my renewed passport would arrive in the mail before checking in.  It came yesterday.  First thing this morning I tried checking in and it said web check in is now closed.  Cruise is still well beyond more than 48 hours from now so I don't get that.  I called MSC and she said you could just check in at the port no problem.  Can i get some re-assurance that is the case?  I do not want to be turned away at the port.

9 minutes ago, buckeye25osu said:

Thanks again all.  Hit a snag and need some help in not panicking.  I was unable to do the web check-in.  I was awaiting to see if my renewed passport would arrive in the mail before checking in.  It came yesterday.  First thing this morning I tried checking in and it said web check in is now closed.  Cruise is still well beyond more than 48 hours from now so I don't get that.  I called MSC and she said you could just check in at the port no problem.  Can i get some re-assurance that is the case?  I do not want to be turned away at the port.

YOU WILL HAVE NO PROBLEM checking in!!! It will take a few more minutes than if you pre-checked but I promise that it will all go well.  Best advice is to get there as early as possible.

• Like 1

Just now, Morgsmom said:

YOU WILL HAVE NO PROBLEM checking in!!! It will take a few more minutes than if you pre-checked but I promise that it will all go well.  Best advice is to get there as early as possible.

Thank you so much.  How early is too early?  We get into Orlando at 8:50am and plan on being on the first GoPort shuttle at 10:00AM which gets us to the port by 11:00AM I think.

8 minutes ago, buckeye25osu said:

Thank you so much.  How early is too early?  We get into Orlando at 8:50am and plan on being on the first GoPort shuttle at 10:00AM which gets us to the port by 11:00AM I think.

That's a great time to arrive.  You will be onboard by noon and enjoy lunch and a cocktail

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, buckeye25osu said:

At least in pre-covid days they didn't usually open the doors until 11.  We were among the first 20 passengers in multiple times getting there around 10:30-11.

• Like 1

Hi OP. Many congratulations on your marriage and wishing you many happy years together. We've sailed 8 times with MSC and our best cruises have been on Meraviglia in a balcony Fantastica experience. You will enjoy the ship. It is beautiful. Chachobben tour is excellent. We went with Native Choice Tours in Costa Maya. Very good. Small bus. Onboard, we prebooked the Tryptic dining package. Butcher's Cut suited me best as I'm more a red meat eater than my wife, Sushi restaurant was a revelation!  I ate raw tuna and hamacha(sp?). I enjoyed it.  Disappointed with the Ocean Cay restaurant but the fish was nice.

You will have to great honeymoon and create great memories. In 8 cruises, only one rude crew member and, looking back, she was right!

Enjoy, Ken 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, CruiseIreland said:

Hi OP. Many congratulations on your marriage and wishing you many happy years together. We've sailed 8 times with MSC and our best cruises have been on Meraviglia in a balcony Fantastica experience. You will enjoy the ship. It is beautiful. Chachobben tour is excellent. We went with Native Choice Tours in Costa Maya. Very good. Small bus. Onboard, we prebooked the Tryptic dining package. Butcher's Cut suited me best as I'm more a red meat eater than my wife, Sushi restaurant was a revelation!  I ate raw tuna and hamacha(sp?). I enjoyed it.  Disappointed with the Ocean Cay restaurant but the fish was nice.

You will have to great honeymoon and create great memories. In 8 cruises, only one rude crew member and, looking back, she was right!

Enjoy, Ken 

Thanks Ken!  We are both quite ready.  We went straight from wedding to house buying (we close in January!) so it's been a stressful few months/years (with Covid!) haha.  I've heard native choice is great, however I have a ton of chase points so booked through them and its another local tour company that I'm sure will still be nice.  Looking forward to it so thank you for the tips!

1 crew member in 8 trips... i'd say that's as good as any customer support you'll find anywhere.  They are after all human and you're always bound to either run into a bad apple or just someone with a really shitty day!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, buckeye25osu said:

6pm departure.  They will let us board that early?

Yes. Ironically, when you think about it, in the COVID procedures era the quicker passengers are moved through the terminal the better.   

Edited by kelleherdl
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, buckeye25osu said:

I just used the Go Port Shuttle for my cruise on the Meraviglia this past week. My advice is once you get your luggage, go straight to the Go Port counter and check in. You will be given a number. I was number 40 and was able to get on the 1st shuttle. We arrived to the port area around 11:00am but there were passengers from other cruise lines that were dropped off first. MSC was the 3rd stop. By the time we got to the MSC terminal; it was around 11:40. 

I also had trouble checking in online. But there's nothing to worry about, they will just process your information at the pier. Have a great trip!

• Like 1

On 12/7/2021 at 3:24 PM, slei15 said:

For the negative balance, you will want to add something to use that up.  Since it was applied after booking and you are fully paid, they won't refund it, but you can use it to pre-purchases specialty dining, spa, service charges, drink upgrade, onboard credit etc.  Anything you want to add, just call MSC (or your travel agent) and have it applied against the negative balance.

We have sailed MSC many times, and love the product. We will be sailing again over Christmas (Meraviglia) and Spring Break (Seashore) It is different from the typical American mass market cruise lines in some ways, and similar in others.  Their pre-boarding customer service leaves something to be desired (I always recommend using a travel agent experienced with them), but the onboard product is always great.  We find the food to be good (pizza excellent), and have never done a specialty restaurant.  The feature shows are shorter than most other cruise lines, but very entertaining.  Drink packages are great. Bring an old hotel room key with you if you have one to leave in the cabin...The lights and AC will turn off if you do not have one of your keycards in the slot by the door. We usually bring an old MSC room card, but hotel keys work too. If you still have the activities team from South Africa, they are very entertaining for the onboard activities.

Most of all, there is no such thing as a bad cruise.  It will be what you choose to make of it. Enjoy your new wife's company and have a great time!  Tell the server and room steward you are on a honeymoon...Sometimes they make special things appear for celebrations! 

I have a negative balance also. Can I just use the negative on board to add to a slot machine and play a few rounds and cash out?  Or do the slots pull from your CC on file instead?

1 minute ago, FrostyJoe said:

I have a negative balance also. Can I just use the negative on board to add to a slot machine and play a few rounds and cash out?  Or do the slots pull from your CC on file instead?

The negative balance will not carry over to on board.  You need to use it to pre-purchase something prior to leaving. You can purchase OBC with it, which will then in effect allow you to spend it on slots.