New Testing Rules Starting January 17th

ktpc2005

Got this in an email this morning:

Beginning January 17, 2022, we will eliminate COVID-19 testing at the terminal and instead require guests to provide proof of a negative COVID-19 antigen or PCR test result at least two calendar days prior to boarding for cruises originating in a U.S. port and at least three calendar days prior for cruises departing from a non-U.S. port. The COVID-19 antigen or PCR test must be administered by a verified third party.

chart.PNG

Edited by ktpc2005
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Middleager said:

I didn't get any email yet.  But it sounds like NCL wants to put the onus of testing and paying for it, on cruisers rather than them administering tests on embarkation. 

Does that also mean NCL won't provide free tests just before disembarkation?

The email I received states:

"If you are unable to provide proof of a negative result at the time of embarkation, testing will be available at the terminal at your expense for $99.00 per person."

30 minutes ago, ktpc2005 said:

at least two calendar days prior to boarding

I have an issue with this language.  Does that mean I can submit a negative PCR/antigen test result a few weeks in advance?  It runs contrary to current testing requirements, which is right before you board (from US) or within 3 to 4 days (from outside US).

• Like 8

11 minutes ago, Selion said:

I have an issue with this language.  Does that mean I can submit a negative PCR/antigen test result a few weeks in advance?  It runs contrary to current testing requirements, which is right before you board (from US) or within 3 to 4 days (from outside US).

Agreed. Confusing. 

19 minutes ago, Selion said:

The "at least" is not the correct term to use, it should be "no more than".  The chart provided tells you the earliest you can get tested, which is 2 days for US or 3 days for non-US (Antigen or PCR).

Edited by Sugar0802
  • Like 4

Just in time 🙄 for tomorrow's greatest deal ever "sale" of this century ... for the new normal, with the fear of another wave of winter surge in Covid-19 positivity in the USA being reported.  

Poor choice of wordings and language, as usual, with NCL.  

I smell mobile business opportunities with those pop-up testing vans here in NYC, across the cruise terminal at Pier 88-90 on one of the side streets, LOL - especially for out-of-town travelers unfamiliar with options locally.  

Now, I might just hit the "pause" button again on booking 2 additional cabins as those planning to cruise along in early 2022 with us are already on the fence, this isn't going to help at all. 

Edited by mking8288

1 hour ago, Middleager said:

I didn't get any email yet.  But it sounds like NCL wants to put the onus of testing and paying for it, on cruisers rather than them administering tests on embarkation. 

Does that also mean NCL won't provide free tests just before disembarkation?

RC has left it to the passengers to get testing done since they started back up

Edited by Laszlo

Basically, a stupid and confusing memo.  As mentioned, it says you must have a test no sooner than 2 days before departure.  What...like 3 weeks is ok?   And then, assuming they meant to say the test must be within 2 days of departure, crazy also.  How in the hell can most guests get a test and then results within 2 days...and those days could be weekend only.  Get it together NCL!

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Summerstravel said:

I was planning to fly in on Friday for a Sunday cruise in April. I may have to just have to pay the 99.00 dollar fee for the Norwegian test. 😔

I hear you! I fly into Honolulu 2 days before, I'll either have to scramble to find a place in Honolulu and hope the results come in time or pay at port

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, njkate said:

I hear you! I fly into Honolulu 2 days before, I'll either have to scramble to find a place in Honolulu and hope the results come in time or pay at port

Wow this is really going to impact a lot of cruisers thank goodness it is just me. What about the people traveling with a larger family? Not to mention without everyone getting tested at the port there will be a greater chance of a covid outbreak on the ship. 

1 hour ago, ktpc2005 said:

Got this in an email this morning:

Beginning January 17, 2022, we will eliminate COVID-19 testing at the terminal and instead require guests to provide proof of a negative COVID-19 antigen or PCR test result at least two calendar days prior to boarding for cruises originating in a U.S. port and at least three calendar days prior for cruises departing from a non-U.S. port. The COVID-19 antigen or PCR test must be administered by a verified third party.

chart.PNG

Thank you for the heads up as we sail in February and have not received an email yet.

For what it's worth, we had to do this for our recent Royal Caribbean cruise - the two day turnaround is definitely doable since the rapid tests are accepted.  Depending on where you live and test availability,  I guess.  We had no problem - took the test at a CVS on a Friday morning and got results Friday early afternoon.

• Like 2

Whilst the language is confusing, it simply means you need to take a test no earlier than 2 days for a US port or 3 days for a non US port. 

If you do an antigen test, then it is totally doable as the results usually take a few hours. PCR tests take longer, usually overnight

14 minutes ago, Yinster said:

Whilst the language is confusing, it simply means you need to take a test no earlier than 2 days for a US port or 3 days for a non US port.

That's what we think NCL meant, but that's not NCL is saying in their memo.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, MeHeartCruising said:

The words in the 3rd paragraph are poorly/wrongly written.  But the sentence immediately above the chart is the one that counts.  Bolding is mine.

"To understand the earliest you should test prior to your cruise, see below:"

Still confusing.  Will I get my boarding docs since the earliest day to be tested is within the required test result submission deadline?  Perhaps this is an elaborate ploy to start charging testing at the pier.

• Like 1