New Covid Testing Guidance for 1/17/2021 and beyond

forgap

As I mentioned in my post, ok for US clients not so for others. If we pay for a test at the terminal we would have delayed embarkation and if positive I guess we would be on our own even if we had a negative test 72 hours before which is more practicable and is what we had planned. Regent need to reconsider this.

3 minutes ago, swansong said:

As I mentioned in my post, ok for US clients not so for others. If we pay for a test at the terminal we would have delayed embarkation and if positive I guess we would be on our own even if we had a negative test 72 hours before which is more practicable and is what we had planned. Regent need to reconsider this.

Swansong - you are quite correct.  During this whole "Covid time", cruising is full of "uncertainty".  Not only medical...but also financial.  That's particularly true for folks like yourself who are travelling from one country (your home country) to another country where you expect to meet/board the ship.

In our case, where we live in the USA, it's "tricky enough" as far as timing and getting test results back within a speciic time frame before showing up to board the ship in our own country (like Miami or San Francisco).  But it gets far more involved in cases like yours, where you're having to leave your home country, several days in advance of "cruise day", and fly overseas to a different country to board the ship.  And then overlaying that, is the question of getting cruise AND travel reimbursement in the case/chance that you're "denied boarding" due to a positive test result at port-side.  "What you did....and "where and when".....can make a big difference on whether you get reimbursed (or not) for incurred costs (both travel and cruise fares if they're broken out separately and booked through different vendors).

And those complications are still "true" even for us over on this "this side" of the pond and who might be boarding a ship in Miami.  And every time I re-read Regent's guidance online....I come away with a different "meaning" after each reading, as to what my specific "rights and responsibilities" are, with respect to what would entitle me to a refund or not from Regent.

I also have to "factor in" something else that is completely beyond my own control....i.e., when I will/can receive my pre-travel/pre-cruse test results back and "in hand" in relationship to when when I arrive in Miami (or any other foreign/domestic port)...and when I actually am supposed to board the ship, itself.

If I'm the only one who is "confused" by all of this, I'll chalk it up to my simply being somewhat dense and will let my very astute TA figure it out.  But if others are also confused and "in the dark" about all of this...I think Regent might have a real problem on it's hands.  Any thoughts?  Best Regards.   

• Like 2

We had planned to get tested at the "within 72 hour" mark which was the old guidance.  We plan to see family for the week prior to departure anyway, so the new guidance is doable for us.  However, I'm curious about covid testing and hope someone here can shed light on this.

In the pre-vaccination era, we got testing once a month through our public health department.  It was a PCR test and results were generally available in 48 hours.  Now it seems like testing for travel is self pay and the costs are determined by the test you get (PCR takes longer for results, more accurate, more expensive).  Antigen testing is about the price it is at the pier.  These results are quick, and less accurate.

So the question is, is this another expense for us or will our insurance cover the cost.  Has anyone done travel testing and sought reimbursement?

It is clear that:

1. NCLH/Regent is shifting the cost (and risk?) of covid testing to their guests. Disappointing.
  2. Whoever drafted the new protocol was U.S. guest centric and forgot to consider guests from other countries travelling to the U.S.A. for their cruises. Again this is disappointing, but timescales will hopefully be corrected when the logistics are properly considered.

Also, I am concerned that Regent  is planning to abandon covid testing immediately pre-boarding so early in 2022; presumably their medical advisors have carefully considered the risk.

Edited by flossie009
  • Like 3

It looks like a cost shift to me dressed up as an effort to speed boarding.   I hope they look at their time frames for those who are traveling long distances.  I guess the bottom line is that you can get the test at the pier which is what it is until January.  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, labonnevie said:

Finally an advantage to being old….Medicare covers Covid testing. 🙃

United healthcare Medicare advantage plan said no to covid testing for travel.  The link that Regent provided was for a travel clinic.  I think I need to consult Dr. Google.  

This is the link which is as clear as mud.  https://www.medicare.gov/coverage/coronavirus-disease-2019-covid-19-tests  It implies exposure or symptoms to aid in diagnosis.  I guess the hack is to say you were exposed….not so far fetched after flying across the country.  

and, yes, the 48 hour window for us is the MLK Holiday.  But, the language id “within” 48 hours of arriving at the pier.  ,

Perhaps I don’t understand….

1- my December 8th and January 3rd cruises require included testing at the port in Miami. If I take an optional test 2 days before the scheduled cruise and am negative, and test positive at the port, I will not be allowed to board ship but expenses will be paid for my return trip home 

2- my February 17th cruise requires a test 2 days before the scheduled cruise and no test at the port. If I don’t do the earlier test, I will be charged $99 pp for the test at the port. 
Do I have this right? So I guess that restrictions are loosening up after January…..

Look forward to responses.

sheila

This is a very interesting development.  For me, it is not relevant whether my health insurance covers the Covid test cost.  It would be nice if it does, but it doesn’t change what Regent has chosen to do.  What is important is (like previous posters have noted), that Regent is now downloading the pre-embarkation test costs to guests when it was previously included.  This feels like a bit of nickel/diming guests for an extra $99/ pp on what is really a $800-$1000/pp/ per day cruise. Doesn’t sound like an all inclusive luxury experience.   The 48 hour time frame makes no sense, given that many guests travel in advance. Regent also is forgetting that for concierge and above suites, guests arrive a day before their cruise…so now the test is in effect less than 24 hours before taking your flight.  And can you get a your results in time?

I also see that Regent had not updated its FAQ as it still references Regent providing the pre-embarkation test as well as the need for a the 72 hour pre-test which is (was??) required in order to receive a FCC/refund if testing positive at embarkation.  I wonder if that policy has also changed for 2022 departures??

As an aside, I was shocked when reading the recent Explorer transatlantic thread that Regent did no on-boarding Covid testing during that cruise (only 1 pre-embarkation and 1disembarkation testing). No testing during the cruise despite guest not being in a bubble (meaning guest were allowed to explore ports on their own).  I would have expected that there would be onboard periodic testing during the cruise duration (similar to some other luxury lines).  This all increases Covid risk.  

I know many are anxious to and looking forward to future cruises, as am I. But the bottom line is that all this makes me feel a bit uncomfortable, and I question Regents change of approach on this.  

• Like 5

24 minutes ago, Sunprince said:

This is a very interesting development.  For me, it is not relevant whether my health insurance covers the Covid test cost.  It would be nice if it does, but it doesn’t change what Regent has chosen to do.  What is important is (like previous posters have noted), that Regent is now downloading the pre-embarkation test costs to guests when it was previously included.  This feels like a bit of nickel/diming guests for an extra $99/ pp on what is really a $800-$1000/pp/ per day cruise. Doesn’t sound like an all inclusive luxury experience.   The 48 hour time frame makes no sense, given that many guests travel in advance. Regent also is forgetting that for concierge and above suites, guests arrive a day before their cruise…so now the test is in effect less than 24 hours before taking your flight.  And can you get a your results in time?

I also see that Regent had not updated its FAQ as it still references Regent providing the pre-embarkation test as well as the need for a the 72 hour pre-test which is (was??) required in order to receive a FCC/refund if testing positive at embarkation.  I wonder if that policy has also changed for 2022 departures??

As an aside, I was shocked when reading the recent Explorer transatlantic thread that Regent did no on-boarding Covid testing during that cruise (only 1 pre-embarkation and 1disembarkation testing). No testing during the cruise despite guest not being in a bubble (meaning guest were allowed to explore ports on their own).  I would have expected that there would be onboard periodic testing during the cruise duration (similar to some other luxury lines).  This all increases Covid risk.  

I know many are anxious to and looking forward to future cruises, as am I. But the bottom line is that all this makes me feel a bit uncomfortable, and I question Regents change of approach on this.  

+1.  One or two covid free cruises do not lessen the risk at this point.  I think RSSC is jumping the gun on loosening restrictions, regardless of who pays for it.  YMMV.

Andy

• Like 2

Sunprince and others:  

Several postings were made concerning this aspect on Zqueeze1's "Live From. . ." Thread concerning our recently-completed Explorer segment.  It may be of interest to others considering this "updated" policy as to pre-cruise and on board testing in contrast to what we experienced regarding protocols, timing, expense, and such for that October 31 to November 14 Explorer segment.

One "bottom line" for us was spending $500.00 (for a couple) to obtain a PCR Test at SEATAC, signed by a M.D., and available in hard copy after waiting in the Terminal for about 30 minutes.   This was done within the 72-hour "window" preceding the date of our return to SEATAC when departing Seattle.  We were Concierge, so arrived at Barcelona on October 30th. 

That became part of an "insurance policy" we voluntarily assumed which was needed both to complete Lufthansa's flight check-in procedure for the initial leg from SEATAC to Frankfort; utilize the Lufthansa Lounge there; then board another Lufthansa flight for the final leg to Barcelona.  Money well-spent for peace of mind.  

And, no, as to that PCR process being covered by Medicare.  Rationale explained in an earlier posting.  Same as to any coverage under Tricare for retired Military.  This is considered a voluntary procedure for travel; not a medical necessity directed by a Physician. 

We await further updates to Regent Policy/Procedures prior to next April's Mariner cruise from Tokyo to San Francisco.  Anticipate this matter will continue to be a "moving target".  

GOARMY!

• Like 2

16 hours ago, swansong said:

As I mentioned in my post, ok for US clients not so for others. If we pay for a test at the terminal we would have delayed embarkation and if positive I guess we would be on our own even if we had a negative test 72 hours before which is more practicable and is what we had planned.

Perhaps @Jennefer Teegen will be able to expand on the rationale & logistics for this change in Regent's Health & Safety protocols due to commence in January; particularly how it will work for those travelling long distances and/or arriving in embarkation destinations a few days in advance of a cruise.

Her explanations & reassurances previously were most welcome.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, flossie009 said:

Perhaps @Jennefer Teegen will be able to expand on the rationale & logistics for this change in Regent's Health & Safety protocols due to commence in January; particularly how it will work for those travelling long distances and/or arriving in embarkation destinations a few days in advance of a cruise.

Her explanations & reassurances previously were most welcome.

That would be most welcome as these changes have not been shared with the TA's yet...

Regent is attempting to change the terms of your contract and raise the price of your cruise without your consent.  I am not consenting to this price increase.  I wanted to draw this attempt to your attention.  I am reporting this to consumer protection agencies.

If you are under contract to go on a Regent Cruise, your contract included the following promise by Regent:

“I also understand that I must consent to receive a COVID-19 antigen test, which will be administered and paid for by the cruise line, with a negative result prior to embarkation.

Yesterday I received an email from Regent attempting to change this contract and impose a charge of $99 per passenger for the cruise line to perform the promised COVID test:

“Regent will have on-site testing available at the pier for a fee of $99 per test.”

This is effectively a $198 increased charge for this cruise. 

If you want to find Regent’s promise in your contract to pay for the Covid test, here is where you will find it:

Go to https://www.rssc.com/

Click on “MY ACCOUNT” in the upper right-hand corner

Sign-in and click on “MY ACCOUNT” again

Click on “MANAGE THIS BOOKING”

On the right-hand side, under the column “MY TO-DO LIST” click on “Guest Registration, Health Attestation & Ticket Contract”

Click on “Health and Safety Attestation/Ticket Contract”

Under the heading “HEALTH AND SAFETY ATTESTATION” you will find Regent’s promise to pay for your COVID test.

Having practiced Consumer Protection Law for my career, perhaps we need to start looking for class-action counsel.

Edited by twinklles
  • Like 3