What is one thing you wish Carnival did differently?

talkorpi

10 hours ago, natefish95 said:

To break up this discussion of drink packages...

• I agree that I wish Carnival offered double points when sailing solo.
  • Similar to on NCL, I wish Carnival offered discounts on spa services, excursions, etc based on your loyalty level
  • I wish they had better theater shows. The singers and dancers are talented, but every show is really just singing songs with no real plot. NCL's Broadway style shows are my favorite. 
  • GIVE ME REAL STRAWS AND NONE OF THAT EDIBLE STRAW CRAP

I hate those straws. They dissolve in my drinks. Not everyone drinks fast before the straw becomes mush.

Rcl also does good shows. I'm sure it's to cut costs carnival went to its present model. First cut out live music orchestra and then required singers to also dance. Before they hired singers just because of their voices. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

I hate those straws. They dissolve in my drinks. Not everyone drinks fast before the straw becomes mush.

Rcl also does good shows. I'm sure it's to cut costs carnival went to its present model. First cut out live music orchestra and then required singers to also dance. Before they hired singers just because of their voices. 

I had one that didn’t even make it out of the wrapper on Mardi Gras. It snapped in half.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Saint Greg said:

I had one that didn’t even make it out of the wrapper on Mardi Gras. It snapped in half.

I ordered milk shakes a couple of times. Nothing like drinking a milk shake thru mush for a straw. When cruisers get to the pt they have to post bring your own straw on carnival ... it's gone too far. 

• Like 4

On 11/16/2021 at 11:11 AM, NauticalNeophyte said:

I only have 2 cruises under my belt, and a third booked in April, so not a lot of experience.  I do wish Carnival would expand the list if ports of call, or at least switch up the itineraries a bit even though I haven’t been to most of the islands.  I know there are technical and logistical reasons for the itineraries they have, but why must all 7 day cruises travel the same circuit if you’re passing other islands anyway?  I don’t know if that makes sense, but I’d like a mix-or-match approach, and a few more options for location. I guess that would shoot prices up though. 

I agree with your sentiment.  I have 35ish cruises with Carnival and over 50 when you count other cruise lines, they all seem to go to the same ports.  After a while it gets boring.  There are some that we don't mind returning to but there are also some we would rather not go to again. 

• Like 2

On 11/17/2021 at 9:51 AM, Djptcp said:

We are almost Diamond on Carnival and almost 4 star Mariners on Holland America. HAL has so many more perks for their loyalty members. I wish Carnival would give discounts at their specialty restaurants - we receive 25% off on HAL as 3 star Mariners and will receive 50% off when we reach 4 star Mariners. On HAL, for every $300 we spend onboard we receive one sail day. Wish Carnival did that. On HAL, we receive double sailing days when we book a suite which is most of the time. Wish Carnival did that, too. When you compare the two cruise lines, Carnival is pitifully lacking in loyalty perks.

We're working on our 3 star on HAL and are diamond on Carnival.  It may be that we're getting old, but we prefer HAL these days.  The newer ships with the Rolling Stone Rock Room and BB Kings Blues Club with live bands that they don't schedule at the same time is great. 

• Like 2

On 11/20/2021 at 6:54 AM, BamaMomRollTide said:

I found it odd (at least on Valor) that the “Indian vegetarian” selection is always the same.  Why not vary that?  I was hoping that they’d have Palak Paneer, but no.  It’s an easy dish to make and soooo good.  Whenever I go to Trader Joe’s I buy like 6 pkgs to have on hand.  

We haven't cruised since March 2020 (and that was HAL) but my husband was able to order off a menu for Indian vegetarian.  He had to ask the Maitre d about it and choose what he wanted for the next nights dinner.  It wasn't ideal, but it worked.  I'm not sure if they still do this though.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, firefly333 said:

I ordered milk shakes a couple of times. Nothing like drinking a milk shake thru mush for a straw. When cruisers get to the pt they have to post bring your own straw on carnival ... it's gone too far. 

I'm glad I saw this straw talk. We had those fake straws on our September cruise but I had forgotten about it. This thread caused me to just update my "trip packing" list to add "bring straws."

• Like 3

On 11/18/2021 at 6:38 AM, BamaMomRollTide said:

Do you mean late-night?

or is CCL now charging for room service no matter what time of the day it is?  

I was on Mardi Gras at halloween. Room service was a charge per item, no matter the time of day. no more free room service during the daytime and early evening hours. 

There is no service charge for using room service, but nothing on the room service menu is free anymore, regardless of time of day. 

15 hours ago, sgttami said:

I liked getting your sign and sail at check in and not waiting to retrieve it from your mailbox.

On some cruises I never went to the cabin until several hours after boarding and felt "lost" without it.

Is that the new procedure?  Getting your S&S at check in? Is this so you can use it for eMuster?

2 hours ago, CoasterGuy said:

I was on Mardi Gras at halloween. Room service was a charge per item, no matter the time of day. no more free room service during the daytime and early evening hours. 

There is no service charge for using room service, but nothing on the room service menu is free anymore, regardless of time of day. 

Wow! I think you’re the first person who’s reported this.  

Edit:  see post below.

Edited by BamaMomRollTide

@CoasterGuy

it looks like the hot sandwiches have a charge. It looks like bagels, toast, coffee, milk do not have a room service charge

room-service-breakfast-menu.pdf

and on CCL’s website, it still has the daily room service menu that shows the left side free and the right side is pay. 

https://www.carnival.com/~/media/images/explore/dining/menus/room-service-menu.pdf

Edited by BamaMomRollTide
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, BamaMomRollTide said:

Is that the new procedure?  Getting your S&S at check in? Is this so you can use it for eMuster?

Sign and sail was always given at check in but my last few cruises on Pride, it was in the mailbox. I don't know why they changed it since there was no e-muster back then.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, sgttami said:

Sign and sail was always given at check in but my last few cruises on Pride, it was in the mailbox. I don't know why they changed it since there was no e-muster back then.

When I boarded vista there were a couple of girls in the hallways before the main pool selling dinners and the 3 dinners for 38 or 60. She didnt know how to ring it up without my card. I had to go down and get it from my cabin steward who clearly was annoyed, but then girls upstairs couldnt ring up the 3 packs of dinners without my card. I didnt want to have to chase them down later. So i agree i liked getting my card at check in in the terminal. I realize it's to speed up boarding but it puts more on the cabin steward. I dont think your folio number is on the boarding papers to sell them, or she couldnt find it. ..took at least 30 minutes extra of my time but i wanted to buy those cards. 

On 11/16/2021 at 9:53 AM, talkorpi said:

I'll start - I wish Carnival offered solo staterooms.  

I wish that as well and not just the lowest worst room on the ship- lol but an option through out the categories.

I also wish they'd put more thought and effort into their "Your Time" events for Singles and LGBT. They've been just nothing for years. The loyalty program could be better of course, again I'd like to see them at least act as though they care if you come back and yes I know they might not care and only be focused on new cruisers. Nightlight could also use an overall- there's not enough late night variety after midnight, often only one club and it closes earlier than my clubs at home and often the music is too niche market for a mass market imo. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, sgttami said:

I liked getting your sign and sail at check in and not waiting to retrieve it from your mailbox.

On some cruises I never went to the cabin until several hours after boarding and felt "lost" without it.

5 hours ago, BamaMomRollTide said:

3 hours ago, sgttami said:

In 2018 or so Carnival started changing the distribution of S&S cards - it had been that they gave them to you at check in, now you get them when you go to your cabin - they are located in your "mailbox" beside the door.

You use your boarding pass for e-Muster unless you happen to have swung by your cabin first..

It was still that way when we sailed in September (i.e. a couple of months ago).

• Like 1

On 11/16/2021 at 11:10 AM, nessachelle said:

I wish they would allow me to use my OBC before my cruise to purchase things like drink packages through the cruise planner like RCL does.  

On 11/16/2021 at 2:22 PM, Colorado Beach Bum said:

I though someone posted on here that this could be done now.  

A few months ago it was erroneously stated by John Heald that you could use your OBC to pay for excursions by booking (and paying for) the excursion ahead of time, then once you got on board transferring the payment to OBC, getting a refund via original payment method.

That was not true, he quickly corrected himself, and was never successfully done by anyone, AFAIK.

But like most headlines, the exciting but wrong part was widespread, and the correction went under the radar.

On 11/16/2021 at 10:01 PM, ScottsSweetie said:

I wish they would add a level between Platinum (at 75 days) and Diamond (at 200).

Indeed, the spacing does seem quite large.  50 days between Gold and Platinum, but 125 to the next level?  Maybe 60 more to "Iridium" (or whatever) at 110, then 65 more to Diamond...

Thought I must admit, the differential of perks will be hard to then split - IMHO the extra perks for Diamond are not as big a leap as getting to Platinum.  We already lump in with the term D&Ps all the time here...

OTOH, one could argue that the number of days going from Red to Gold at 25 needs to be tripled to get to Platinum (75), so maybe going to Diamond should occur at 3x75 = 225...

I have a lot of repeated ones:

More live bands that play music that has something to do with your cruise (Steel pan for Caribbean, etc).  I dislike the DJ’s on the deck

for the deck parties, make it a dance party — not a “let me show you how to do this dance” party.  Play music and let people dance how they want.  One should not be doing the electric slide to Mustang Sally.

An in between soda package and Cheers option.

More dress code enforcement in the MDR (I know I will get bashed on this one).  If you say you don’t allow shorts, hats, or flip-flops, the. Don’t allow people in.

more enforcement on chair hogs.  Recently cruised and a bed in Serenity was left unattended from 7AM to 3PM, when the people returned from a shore excursion (heard them talking all about it when they returned).

a photo package where you can get all your pictures for one price.  Royal has something similar, and it’s a good deal.  

Loyalty programs among all Carnival owned cruise lines.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, ProgRockCruiser said:

Indeed, the spacing does seem quite large.  50 days between Gold and Platinum, but 125 to the next level?  Maybe 60 more to "Iridium" (or whatever) at 110, then 65 more to Diamond...

Thought I must admit, the differential of perks will be hard to then split - IMHO the extra perks for Diamond are not as big a leap as getting to Platinum.  We already lump in with the term D&Ps all the time here...

OTOH, one could argue that the number of days going from Red to Gold at 25 needs to be tripled to get to Platinum (75), so maybe going to Diamond should occur at 3x75 = 225...

I made it to Gold after my 3rd cruise since my first 3 cruises were longer than a week and made it to Platinum on my 10th, in just under 4 years).  Now I sit at about 115 days and an eternity before I'll be Diamond with nothing planned till 2023. 

I guess that's not too bad since it took me 17 years to be Diamond on RCL.

Overall, it really doesn't matter since it seems as soon as you get to one level, the next time they are changing the rules and requirements.

I'll just be happy to cruise, no matter what tier I'm on....LOL

17 hours ago, CoasterGuy said:

Thought that basic continental breakfast items were free via room service.  Coffee, juice, muffins, fruit.

21 hours ago, CoasterGuy said:

I'm going to have to see that for myself, however with some of the pay restaurants now included, I think that more than compensates.