MDR open for lunch the day you board?

jhsocal

1 hour ago, HollDoll said:

I am boarding the Eurodam tomorrow.  Under tomorrow’s events on my Navigator app it lists at 12:00 noon…Mariners Society Lunch, Main Dining Room!  Great news!

I am boarding the Nieuw Statendam on Sunday and the Mariner Society Welcome Aboard Lunch is on my list of events as well. 

Edited by Crew News
  • Like 2

On 11/19/2021 at 6:22 PM, Trapper44 said:

I think you need at least one order of Clothesline Bacon. I also found them funny!

What did you find funny about  the Candied Clothesline Bacon appetizer in the PG? It's definitely on my list to try on our next Zuiderdam sailing..

18 minutes ago, canadarocks said:

So excited for you Roger. Looking forward to lots of entertainment and food updates! 

As a menu collector, the first menu to be harvested is from the MDR on Embarkation Day even though it has changed little over the years.  After the cruising shutdown, many things have changed and perhaps the Welcome Aboard Lunch menu may as well.

I do not always attend the Welcome Aboard Lunch because of the very slow service but do pick up a menu.  On the Pinnacle-class ships, the Dutch Cafe pea soup and a huge chocolate chip cookie are a much faster start to a cruise. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, HollDoll said:

Thanks all for adding your input.  I do not post Fake News on this site or any for that matter despite Taxmantoo’s allegation. 

Sorry if you took it that way.  I was referring to the news your were given by HAL and not what you posted.  HAL's Client Service representatives are notorious for giving news that are not always correct or exact.  Enjoy your lunch onboard and your cruise! 

5 hours ago, Crew News said:

many things have changed and perhaps the Welcome Aboard Lunch menu may as well

6 hours ago, Crew News said:

the Mariner Society Welcome Aboard Lunch

So, now, we need clarity.  Is the Mariner Society Welcome Aboard Lunch substituting for the Mariner

Society Recognition Lunch?  

Please, Crew News, let us know what your experience is.  

4 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

So, now, we need clarity.  Is the Mariner Society Welcome Aboard Lunch substituting for the Mariner

Please, Crew News, let us know what your experience is.  

When I called HALShip's Services about my upcoming Meet & Greets, I was told that Mariner ceremonies, as well as the luncheons, would be late in the cruises.

I will confirm this weekend when I board the Nieuw Statendam and report back.

Edited by Crew News
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

Is the Mariner Society Welcome Aboard Lunch substituting for the Mariner

IMO no.

The Mariner lunch is the same thing as the Mariner Brunch.

(We enjoyed a nice Mariner Appreciation Lunch (by invitation) in the MDR with the champagne flowing freely on one of our sea days on the Rotterdam TA last month....it was exactly like the previous Mariner Appreciation Brunch except it was at lunch time and not at brunch time!)

• Thanks 1

On 11/24/2021 at 12:19 AM, CHPURSER said:

Limiting / Removing the MDR from the equation even for one meal period at the start of a cruise results in substantial food cost savings. Forcing some / all to go to the Lido on embark day, where food cost is significantly lower really helps the bottom line.

I’m not sure I follow the logic of your post.  The meal portions in the MDR are limited while I have seen people pile plates in the Lido.  

To me, HAL saves money offering lunch in the MDR

And, since it has now been confirmed as being offered in the post above mine, it appears they (HAL) agree 😉

• Like 3

On 11/23/2021 at 1:57 PM, Crew News said:

As a menu collector, the first menu to be harvested is from the MDR on Embarkation Day even though it has changed little over the years.  After the cruising shutdown, many things have changed and perhaps the Welcome Aboard Lunch menu may as well.

I do not always attend the Welcome Aboard Lunch because of the very slow service but do pick up a menu.  On the Pinnacle-class ships, the Dutch Cafe pea soup and a huge chocolate chip cookie are a much faster start to a cruise. 

Is there a cost for the pea soup and huge cookie? Thanks.

Can any recent Eurodam cruisers share if the MDR has been open for lunch during boarding? We look forward to the embarkation lunch on all our cruises and are hoping it will be available on our cruise later this month. 

Our favorite way to decompress after the morning hassles before embarking, the mob scene in the terminal, the line ups to get checked in and on board, is lunch in the MDR.  Interestingly, despite how popular it seems to be with CCers, we've never seen it busy in there. 

I like the peace and calmness in there at the Welcome Aboard lunch, we might even pay for it.  We would happily pay an upcharge to have lunch in the PG on embarkation day.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, VennDiagram said:

We would happily pay an upcharge to have lunch in the PG on embarkation day.

There is always a charge to eat in the PG for lunch 😉 

I’d love to eat in the PG on embarkation day, too but sadly, embarkation day is a busy time and I believe the PG waiters are part of the wheel chair assistance team.

34 minutes ago, kazu said:

I believe the PG waiters are part of the wheel chair assistance team.

They are. Many times wheelchair assistance passengers have to wait an inordinate amount of time to be wheeled aboard. Stewards can't begin until 11:30, or when passenger boarding begins---whichever comes last. They have to wait their turn, in the order in which they were checked in; no priority boarding for them.
It is a slow process to wheel them through the terminal, to the entrance to the ship, especially if they have to wait for a smaller elevator. Then stopping to be turned to make ramps safer, or getting over various connectors on the 'jetway', waiting for the elevator to be brought to your cabin, dropped off, all this takes time. 
Then the steward has to check back of the ship to return to the disabled waiting area to start with one more passenger. 

They don't have time to be serving lunch that day. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Crew News said:

Everything is free except beverages.

Yea, we are so cheap we bring our drinks from lido and enjoy a no surcharge lunch in the Dutch Cafe....great ham/cheese sandwiches to go with your pea soup.....do it.

• Like 1